Redesigned and Updated 993 Turbo Cab Historical Archive

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redesigned and Updated 993 Turbo Cab Historical Archive

Hi everyone

I finally finished the redesign and latest updates for my historical archives.

I am most pleased with the updates to the 933 Turbo Cab site because it now includes all the VIN's, interior/exterior colors, serial numbers, drive types, delivery country locations etc. Hard earned data on a very rare and little know model that is now shared publicly here for the first time ever.

Best to all for the holidays!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe 14 turbo cabs were made in Germany 1995?
Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
I believe 14 turbo cabs were made in Germany 1995?
Well they were most certainly all made in Germany. Did you have a question?
Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Au contraire. It is a turbo. It is a cab. BUT, made in the USA!

Name:  Garage_zps02e03488.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0464_zpsb2ca1058.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0459_zps364fd3e5.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  47.7 KB
Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=WhiteCab;13826230]Au contraire. It is a turbo. It is a cab. BUT, made in the USA!

well I am talking about a car that left the factory as a cab AND as a turbo ... however that car left the factory it was either as a cab OR as a turbo but it was most certainly not both ... mon frere
Old 12-21-2016, 01:26 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Very interesting read!

Some comments:

both links under the "Documents" section don't work (for me at least).

While it may be obvious, you should include the drive layout in description. IIRC they are all RWD, unlike the AWD 993 Turbo.

How do you know so much?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Thanks! ... and for pointing out the broken links ... will get all those fixed asap. Also there are few other issues with the site that broke when it was pushed live ... should have had better testing

The site does mention rear wheel drive only in the body of the text - yes that may not be so obvious to most just by the trans type.

Been amassing impossible to find data and documents for a long time and it just takes me awhile for me to get around to putting it altogether into a historical archive website and getting it out there.

Follow @rareporsches on twitter or instagram and you will know when new sites/data is released and if you searching around in my other related sites you will find a lot more data on models from 959 - 918.

Mark

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Very interesting read!

Some comments:

both links under the "Documents" section don't work (for me at least).

While it may be obvious, you should include the drive layout in description. IIRC they are all RWD, unlike the AWD 993 Turbo.

How do you know so much?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:10 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Registry

Mark: Nice work.Really interesting background. Not sure if it is in the Berlin Motors Turbo book.

BTW, I was kidding about the US version (in fact the top and cowl on that car are actually French).
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
Mark: Nice work.Really interesting background. Not sure if it is in the Berlin Motors Turbo book.

BTW, I was kidding about the US version (in fact the top and cowl on that car are actually French).
thanks

i am sure andreas book discusses it somewhere but my websites are the original source for all details on @rareporsches models
Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flachbau
The site does mention rear wheel drive only in the body of the text - yes that may not be so obvious to most just by the trans type.
I must have missed it then. I myself cannot tell by trans code what drive type is.

Been amassing impossible to find data and documents for a long time and it just takes me awhile for me to get around to putting it altogether into a historical archive website and getting it out there.

Follow @rareporsches on twitter or instagram and you will know when new sites/data is released and if you searching around in my other related sites you will find a lot more data on models from 959 - 918.
Great info. I went to your homepage (rareporsches.com) and read through all the links. Amazing collection of info and documents. However I didn't see any 959 or 918 sites that you mention above.

One comment on the Turbo S Leichtbau site: You do mention that airbag-optioned cars got the standard lower dash 'kneepad'. It could be worth mentioning that in these few cases (airbag optioned cars) the lower kneepad was scalloped out on the extreme ends in order to allow clearance for the manual window winder. AFAIK these and some of the 968 Turbo S are the only Porsches with airbags AND manual windows.

Next you need to do one about the GT1 Strassenversion!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I must have missed it then. I myself cannot tell by trans code what drive type is.

Great info. I went to your homepage (rareporsches.com) and read through all the links. Amazing collection of info and documents. However I didn't see any 959 or 918 sites that you mention above.

One comment on the Turbo S Leichtbau site: You do mention that airbag-optioned cars got the standard lower dash 'kneepad'. It could be worth mentioning that in these few cases (airbag optioned cars) the lower kneepad was scalloped out on the extreme ends in order to allow clearance for the manual window winder. AFAIK these and some of the 968 Turbo S are the only Porsches with airbags AND manual windows.

Next you need to do one about the GT1 Strassenversion!

Hey thanks ...

- there are no other sites (yet) but on one of my other websites all of the production data is tabled for rare porsches 959 - 918 ... last time I linked to that site though the moderators slapped my hand pretty hard so I will leave you to find it on your own ... I am sure you will

- yes scalloped ends is probably worth mentioning .. but it is actually cars that have standard lower dash and manual windows - unrelated to the airbags (knee bar and passenger airbag eliminates glove box to fit the airbag). There are probably quite a few cars out there 964/993 that have that combination spec'd just as there are cars that have the knee bar and passenger airbag spec'd.

- yes GT1 strassenversion is on the to do list (there is some info on the GT1 on the other site I referred to) ... but its behind a half dozen others in priority ... I think next will be either 959S and/or GT2 'EVO'

... stay tuned @rareporsches twitter/instagram
Old 12-23-2016, 12:17 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

There are probably quite a few cars out there 964/993 that have that combination spec'd just as there are cars that have the knee bar and passenger airbag spec'd.
So you could get a car with airbags but with the older dash (meaning no room for a glovebox)? Interesting.

Came across these pictures, supposedly of real 993 Turbo cabs.

The green-gold one has the TT bodywork (except for rear decklid) and 928-style seat stitching.

^ Article from this Russian site.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:42 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Rare maybe but its a standard 993 cab with leftover 965 engine thrown in along with some other leftovers, calipers, dash etc

14 is 14 too many for me

Good work on the site though, Im sure it will help alot in future posts about this rare mongrel
Old 12-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

I have seen both of these ...

unfortunately I can't read french but I think the article was written without any real authorship knowledge about these cars except snippets from the internet and whatever the owner told the author ...

IMO both of those cars are fakes. the true tell of course is by having the VINs.

yellow

- there was no yellow car built and none of the cars as far as I know have been repainted
- I dont think Porsche would pre approve a repainted car as this would show on inspection and/or insurance reports
- I think Porsche might pre approve a wide body cab with a wing and front spoilers added because all the dealer would need to do is not tell Porsche about those body parts being added ... the rest of the car being stock

green
- there was no green car built and none of the cars as far as I know have been repainted
- wrong transmission (which should be obvious)
- states it has LSD ... these cars ALL had open differential
- wrong wing
- the only example ordered with a painted dials (these could be added later of course) is black and I have photos of it (but this car is not on the site by request)

photo of knee bar with airbag with manual windows a 964 3.8 RS

Name:  canvas4.png
Views: 789
Size:  520.7 KB

Quick Reply: Redesigned and Updated 993 Turbo Cab Historical Archive