Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronic turbo leak - I have tried it all I think

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spamming my own thread but it helps me remember everything done to try and solve the issue.

Reading Kevin's older posts and mailing him I found some details about ring gap for the turbo seals being a potential source of leaks even in brand new units.

Now I have found a place that could rebuild my turbos with 0 gap, a new set of rings that have kind of a second row (dunno how to explain it), making them gap less. At least I found someone, locally, who understood the issue.

So now my dual plan is:

1 - Resend my brand new units to FVD who will take them back to the manufacturer (I have no doubt as to how that will play out...)
2 - Send my old units back to have them refurbished with 0 gap !

Fingers crossed.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:58 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Spam away. Your solution is more useful than the problem.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:25 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Any news? And yes, the seal you mention I know what you mean, they are pretty much "gap less"...they are like a spiral to call it somehow.

I believe the kit I purchased in some website for my K24's had a upgraded "360" degree or the like, thrust bearing, and the seals I believe were "gap less" type and still I have the leak problem in both turbos even with the check valves.

I will look for the photos that I have somewhere in my PC to post them up here.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Any news? And yes, the seal you mention I know what you mean, they are pretty much "gap less"...they are like a spiral to call it somehow.

I believe the kit I purchased in some website for my K24's had a upgraded "360" degree or the like, thrust bearing, and the seals I believe were "gap less" type and still I have the leak problem in both turbos even with the check valves.

I will look for the photos that I have somewhere in my PC to post them up here.
Not yet waiting for the turbos to come back

Ok not very encouraging...

Plz post.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Vince964T
Racer

And post all the solutions you have tried as well if you want to ! Don't be shy, we can learn from each others.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Vince964T
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...problem-2.html

Read Kevin's input in page 2 of this thread about rebuild kits...
Old 01-17-2017, 10:21 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vince964T
And post all the solutions you have tried as well if you want to ! Don't be shy, we can learn from each others.

Yes I have done all that, except the leak down test ( I will have to do this, but I don't believe this is the problem, specially at 50k kms) and I even hand tighted the genuine oil filter so it has low torque. When I drained some oil from the system, the severe smoke went away pretty much (some oil in the CATS and mufflers at some point).

On the left the genuine components, at the right the "upgraded" components

The "gap less" rings-seals......

-Diego

Last edited by DiegoR; 05-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Ok I see !
Hope a turbo swap will solve the issue for you.
I am so annoyed at mine.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Update - looks like the gap less rings stopped the leaking

After so many disappointments I am still unwilling to celebrate. Needs to be track tested !
Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Update - looks like the gap less rings stopped the leaking

After so many disappointments I am still unwilling to celebrate. Needs to be track tested !
Moreover....needs to be stoped for about 3-4 weeks stright and start it up and see if the turbos leaked into the turbine/compressor sides.

I installed the check valves but after that I'm starting the engine weekly for few seconds or to move the car arround the shop and so far so good. Now need to test it for storage3-4 weeks and see what happens...that's usually my problem.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Moreover....needs to be stoped for about 3-4 weeks stright and start it up and see if the turbos leaked into the turbine/compressor sides.

I installed the check valves but after that I'm starting the engine weekly for few seconds or to move the car arround the shop and so far so good. Now need to test it for storage3-4 weeks and see what happens...that's usually my problem.
Ok
Mine was more leaks when oil is warm.
Or if no leak they start leaking after the 1st day on track. That I will need to test in april/may when the snow melts and the tracks open again.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Vince964T
Racer

The strange thing is:

Post rebuild with these new rings. No more leak on passenger side, leak on the driver side. After a few drives the driver side stopped leaking as well.
I left my car at the shop, no hurry, freezing cold here anyhow. So they move "her" around from time to time and keep an eye on oil drops.

How is that possible ? Leaking at 1st then after running them in a little, no more leak. Any one has a clue what could be a cause ?

Of course no opportunity to test on track as it's freezing cold up here in the north.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:18 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

The strange thing is:

Post rebuild with these new rings. No more leak on passenger side, leak on the driver side. After a few drives the driver side stopped leaking as well.
I left my car at the shop, no hurry, freezing cold here anyhow. So they move "her" around from time to time and keep an eye on oil drops.

How is that possible ? Leaking at 1st then after running them in a little, no more leak. Any one has a clue what could be a cause ?

Of course no opportunity to test on track as it's freezing cold up here in the north.
Mine seemed to not leak anymore while parked stone cold for 3-4weeks and after start. Looks like the check vlaves (oil feed) did their work or at least is what I hope.

However, if used the car in the city, fully hot oil/engine, the turbo leaks both sides, basically the compressor, not the exhaust side that I can notice/see oil or smoke at the tailpipes.

Look slike the rebuild kit I bought didn't work quite well, maybe the tolerances or who knows didn't help.

I wonder where I can get genuine KKK K24 service rebuild kit from
Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seemed to not leak anymore while parked stone cold for 3-4weeks and after start. Looks like the check vlaves (oil feed) did their work or at least is what I hope.

However, if used the car in the city, fully hot oil/engine, the turbo leaks both sides, basically the compressor, not the exhaust side that I can notice/see oil or smoke at the tailpipes.

Look slike the rebuild kit I bought didn't work quite well, maybe the tolerances or who knows didn't help.

http://www.pureturbos.com/

They are great!!! I've used them in the past on many different turbo cars. They can rebuild, upgrade, rebalance, and do pretty much anything that you want to your turbo.

They are very well known and respected by the BMW 335/535... M3/M4.... and many other models for making stock replacement and upgraded turbos
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Same here...
I am 50% there
Only 1 of my turbos leaking

Quick Reply: Chronic turbo leak - I have tried it all I think