Notices

Diary of a GT2 actually used (for travelling)

 
Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
  #1  
cebe
User
Thread Starter
 
cebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diary of a GT2 actually used (for travelling)

It has been about two years since I purchased my GT2 and I made a point of using and enjoing it or otherwise selling the car ...


It is not confortable, it is not subtle, it is definitely demanding, but I have found some opportunities to actually travel with the dam thing and not just going around the block.


The only limitation is that I can not really use it with my wife as a passenger: it is just too unforgiving on broken pavement for her back.
Jumping out of the GT2 and into the 991 GT3 RS and going down the same road looks like the magic re-paving crew has been out working overnight!


I did about 2000 km in total in less than two years and here is a little photographic diary of my travels to:


- Imola (Italy)
- Milan (Italy)
- Silvretta Alpen Strasse (Austria)
- Graubunden (Switzerland)


Hope you will like it!
Attached Images      
cebe is offline  
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 PM
  #2  
997rs4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
997rs4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for sharing. I would take that gt2 over the 991rs every day of week!
997rs4.0 is offline  
Old 09-01-2016, 10:48 PM
  #3  
Basal Skull
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Basal Skull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 2,823
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Awesome ����
Basal Skull is offline  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 AM
  #4  
Quadcammer
Super User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 12,774
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I would take that gt2 over the 991rs every day of week!
agreed. all day.

nice pics, jealous of you euro owners who do those long touring trips.
Quadcammer is offline  
Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 AM
  #5  
carguy19
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I would take that gt2 over the 991rs every day of week!
I echo the same, but it is definitely going to be a hard ride.

If it rides hard in Europe, the USA roads would obliterate the suspension and wheels.
carguy19 is offline  
Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 PM
  #6  
cebe
User
Thread Starter
 
cebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
I echo the same, but it is definitely going to be a hard ride.

If it rides hard in Europe, the USA roads would obliterate the suspension and wheels.
Thanks for the feedback.

I tend to agree about the potential difficulties in US for such a car.
Here in Europe you can already feel the difference between the smooth Swiss and Austrian roads and the Italian ones badly in need of maintenance.

The 991 RS is a much more confortable proposition for long trips and traffic jams are no problem.

I am still hurting from the trip to Austria with the GT2 and 15 hours driving on mountain roads in two days! 😂
cebe is offline  
Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 AM
  #7  
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
TB993tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 4,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cebe View Post

I am still hurting from the trip to Austria with the GT2 and 15 hours driving on mountain roads in two days! 😂
The answer is a set of Bilstein PSS10s.

I run a full RS/GT2 chassis and with the factory shocks/springs it was horrible on anything but billiard surface.

PSS10s (actually mine are 9s) set full soft completely transform the ride without detracting from the handling and the cost is very low for such a transformation + easily reversed for your originality
TB993tt is offline  
Old 09-03-2016, 03:27 PM
  #8  
cebe
User
Thread Starter
 
cebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 135
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TB993tt View Post
The answer is a set of Bilstein PSS10s.

I run a full RS/GT2 chassis and with the factory shocks/springs it was horrible on anything but billiard surface.

PSS10s (actually mine are 9s) set full soft completely transform the ride without detracting from the handling and the cost is very low for such a transformation + easily reversed for your originality
That's actually a very interesting suggestion!

I have PSS9 on my 964 turbo 3.6 and I like them very much.

I never give a thought about the possibility to use a similar set-up with a GT/RS unibal suspension ...

Thanks for the idea.
cebe is offline  
Old 09-03-2016, 09:28 PM
  #9  
Campy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Campy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 233
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What a absolutely beautiful car cebe !!! And a RS as well ... Lucky man!

Like others would love to see more pics of you 993 GT !
Campy is offline  
Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM
  #10  
code.monkey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
code.monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It's so nice to see such a special car actually being taken out and driven. Makes every journey an adventure I bet!
code.monkey is offline  
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 PM
  #11  
cgfen
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cgfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 5,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cebe View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I tend to agree about the potential difficulties in US for such a car.
Here in Europe you can already feel the difference between the smooth Swiss and Austrian roads and the Italian ones badly in need of maintenance.

The 991 RS is a much more confortable proposition for long trips and traffic jams are no problem.

I am still hurting from the trip to Austria with the GT2 and 15 hours driving on mountain roads in two days! 😂
poor baby.........


please suffer through somehow
cgfen is offline  
Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM
  #12  
doublecabmel
User
 
doublecabmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Simply amazing! You have great taste my friend. Don't feel bad, the roads in North America all feel like they're beat up and need to be repaved. Especially in the socialist republic of CA where the weather is perfect all year long and it doesn't snow.
doublecabmel is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 PM
  #13  
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
C.J. Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Exit Row seats
Posts: 9,005
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doublecabmel View Post
Simply amazing! You have great taste my friend. Don't feel bad, the roads in North America all feel like they're beat up and need to be repaved. Especially in the socialist republic of CA where the weather is perfect all year long and it doesn't snow.

I drove mine in stop and go traffic yesterday on the 405. Not the best. But- ran fine. Had a chance to open it up on the 73 in Orange County and all was good in the world.
C.J. Ichiban is offline  
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM
  #14  
ronnie993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ronnie993tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto & Mont Tremblant
Posts: 3,754
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

+1 on the PSS10. At Euro ride height, they're very comfortable on the softer settings. Condition aside, I've traveled extensively in Switzerland on winter ski trips and am very jealous of your mountain twisties. Thanks for sharing.
ronnie993tt is offline  
Old 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM
  #15  
Campy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Campy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 233
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban View Post
I drove mine in stop and go traffic yesterday on the 405. Not the best. But- ran fine. Had a chance to open it up on the 73 in Orange County and all was good in the world.
Come on CJ you know the rules about throwing up a post like that …

PICTURES PLEASE!!!

Campy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diary of a GT2 actually used (for travelling)


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: