Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent 993TT purchase, HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TB993tt, my main consern is not if the clucth will fail, but the car I drove yesterday had a very smooth and pleasant clutch to work with, it was much better to drive that car than the others, and the clutch smoothness was the main difference, even on the trafficc was pleasant to change gears.

Do you have any more pics of your car? from your avantar it sure looks very agressive.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

JSeven
Here is an old and not very clear pic.
As for the clutch, mine has had the GT2 flywheel and special FVD 980NM pressure plate with organic disc for a while now - my only memories of the stock one are that it is quite light (hydraulic) and smooth but it is quite difficult to feather the take-up point, leading to some jerky take offs or stalling (but maybe that was just my bad driving )
Old 10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would hazard a guess that the car with the "rougher" clutch may have some hydraulic issues, particularly with the slave cylinder... a fairly common failure point. Clutch wear can be roughly observed by how high up in the pedal the clutch engages... the higher the engagement point, the less friction material is likely left. A worn out clutch is a good thing... you get to install the LWF/clutch assembly, as TB993TT has done.

TB993TT, you are correct... I am totally intimidated from doing a hard launch in my TT. I have yet to get a single chirp from my tires (tyres to you). In my Cobra, on the other hand, I can lose traction very easily, and somehow that doesn't bother me. Go figure...
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with TB on his point; if you're gonna worry about where the clutch is biting instead of the overall picture you might be better off going for a new car instead. These are all 6 year old cars that we are lucky enough to be able to buy for half the 'new' cost so we must expect a few faults!
I never even drove my car, or had it inspected because I knew it came with a warranty and i would fix any problems as they came along. I spoke to the previous owners (8 of them!) and service centres.
It is a '95 car (96) and definitely has the 1st gear whine, but you only get it when on over run in first (how often is that), and besides, with 400+ hp on tap, something's gotta give!
No amount of PPI's will predict the future; it's already beenhad the engine out for a rear crank seal - but the clutch is good!
Be brave, have a 'reserve' fund and enjoy. I cannot explaing the 'WOW' I got the first time I nailed it! Addictive.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a german forum (www.elfertreff.de -> http://www.forumworld.tv/cgi-bin/ult...&f=21&t=000214) there are at least 2 guys having massive problems with low mileage 95 tts.
The cause is bad valve guides on the outlet side. (sorry for poor english)
There has been some kind of upgrade from porsche after the very first 95 models that kind of solves the problem or at least it will not occur that early. The job to fix the bad guides seems to be a few k$. So could be a good idea to get at least a 96 model.

Any experiences with this on later models?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My 1996 TT is a very early build (3/95), and with 58000 miles, runs like new... no valve guide problems.

Quick Reply: Urgent 993TT purchase, HELP.