Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member/ Billstein PSS Coilover kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:53 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 299 Likes on 199 Posts

???? I tried mine at various settings and higher numbers seemed harder. I was sober but am a bit of a technical Ludite and rely on you guys for your great advice. Can someone else who routinely adjusts them for track chime in?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it doesn't make sense, but the lower the number, the stiffer the setting. I run 2f/3r for track.
But I'm rarely sober :-)
Old 07-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys need to define what you mean by stiffness/harder. Rebound or compression? According to the graph, stage 10 gives highest rebound (hardest to pull shock out) and lowest compression (easiest to push shock in - more negative) and stage 1 gives lowest rebound (easiest to pull shock out) and highest compression (hardest to push shock in).
On the track, I'd run lower stages, I want lowest rebound - want the wheels to stay on the ground the most for most traction, and have the highest compression.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:59 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read another post that stated that PSS9 and PSS10's are reversed numerically relative to soft and hard.

PSS10's 1 is softest 10 hardest
PSS9's 1 is hardest 9 is softest

based on the info I posted earlier the graph shows this info for the PSS10 (10 stages) with stiffest valving on the 10 settting.

That is why Richard using his experience sees it the other way. He is using PSS9's.

That makes it very confusing.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
You guys need to define what you mean by stiffness/harder. Rebound or compression? According to the graph, stage 10 gives highest rebound (hardest to pull shock out) and lowest compression (easiest to push shock in - more negative) and stage 1 gives lowest rebound (easiest to pull shock out) and highest compression (hardest to push shock in).
On the track, I'd run lower stages, I want lowest rebound - want the wheels to stay on the ground the most for most traction, and have the highest compression.

I don't think that is correct. The curves (colors) on the graph are also reversed on the compression stroke side. Therefore Stage 10 gives the highest compression (hardest to push shock in) on the compression stroke as well as on the rebound stroke just different rates.

I feel kinda stupid arguing with two people I really respect that have tons more experience than I do with regard to these cars and track setup. However, the engineer in me just doesn't let it go.

Sorry if I offend anybody but I think there is a lot in what Basal Skull says. However the difference in the rebound to compression characteristics are set in the Shock and not adjustable separately. I think that as Basal Skull notes that in some cases a softer spring rate will provide better contact than a stiffer rate in some cases.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:54 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
I don't think that is correct. The curves (colors) on the graph are also reversed on the compression stroke side. Therefore Stage 10 gives the highest compression (hardest to push shock in) on the compression stroke as well as on the rebound stroke just different rates.

I feel kinda stupid arguing with two people I really respect that have tons more experience than I do with regard to these cars and track setup. However, the engineer in me just doesn't let it go.

Sorry if I offend anybody but I think there is a lot in what Basal Skull says. However the difference in the rebound to compression characteristics are set in the Shock and not adjustable separately. I think that as Basal Skull notes that in some cases a softer spring rate will provide better contact than a stiffer rate in some cases.

Nothing stupid about being clear with the correct info. I am no expert, and just knew that for my car, the lower settings, were geared for stiffer compression/flatter handling. With that, more droop than compression would be optimal. Keeping tire with most contact.
Aloha
Richard.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:40 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

i don't have these shocks so just trying to interpret the graphs and how i adjust my shocks which have separate rebound and compression settings. i use low/soft rebound and high/stiffer compression on the track. Which seemed to make sense the way I interpreted the graph, but you're right it doesn't make sense to plot negative compression values!

Quick Reply: New Member/ Billstein PSS Coilover kit