Sponsored by:

Ruf Suspension Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jim, the dinner offer applies to a ride in a 3.8. If you have secretly acquired one, email me with the restaurant name and a convenient date and time!

SYF: Remember, that statement generally applies when the 993TT is using 100 octane (or has dual plugs). The centrally-mounted spark plug in the 996 does much better with the 91 octane we have in California.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:58 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry,
Exactly why I prefer my 993 better

Last edited by ruffy; 10-20-2003 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:47 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey I thought I would mention that I found it weird that they put the sway bar mount all the way at the bottom. It would give maximium preload and make the bar effectively that much stiffer. Every other setup with pss9's that I have seen usually puts that mount about midway from the bottom of the threads and the bottom pearch.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:45 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally posted by SPR
It would give maximium preload and make the bar effectively that much stiffer. Every other setup with pss9's that I have seen usually puts that mount about midway from the bottom of the threads and the bottom pearch.
What??? If both sides are set to the same height, there is zero preload on the bar. So higher, lower, whatever it makes no difference. All of the PSS9s I've installed I try to set the perch low so that the bar is well out of the way of the toe arm.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 PM
SPR
Drifting

wow you don't understand preload then. If you are setting the mounting point lower on the strut, then it is effectively increasing the drop link or the length of the bar arm and hence preload from 0 load. It has nothing to do with variance between the two. It has to do with the effective preload it gives.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
SPR
Drifting

btw I am not trying to be a jerk just being lazy without measuring the static height of the old drop links and mounting points and comparing that to the new drop links to determine the proper height of the adjustable mounting point on the strut.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think Bob is right, preload is load applied before you start moving the suspension. The sway bar would be twisted as it sits static if it's preloaded. I think what you are talking about would be changing the leverage by moving the fulcrum of the lever.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

SPR,

Preload is a measure of load or 'TWIST' on the bar in the static position. I do not have time for a full geometry lesson at the moment, but the drop links are at roughly a right angle to the bar. So the only thing that matters is how far out on the sway bar arm you attach the drop links. The length of these drop links has no bearing on the force applied to the bar. If someone pushed the end of a 36" baseball bat into your chest with 200 lbs of force, how would it be different than another person pushing a 10" stick into your chest with 200 lbs of force. The ultimate force to your chest is 200 lbs. The length of the rod applying the force doesn't matter. Same exact thing on the sway bar with the drop links.

So take measurements and put it where you want to on the strut as it won't matter. As long as when the car is sitting with the suspension under load and you can take a bolt out of the drop link easily and reinsert it, then you have no preload.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:45 PM
SPR
Drifting

No I am familiar, but I was just looking at it as being more precise from the stand point of the heights from side to side and making sure they are exact, hence no preload. I think we are both saying the same thing but interpreted initially differently. It just seemed like no one takes the time to measure exactly the distances to make sure to a tenth or so that they are exact compared to each side
Old 10-23-2003, 12:46 PM
SPR
Drifting

btw I do like the thought of having it as low as possible to make sure there is no binding issue with the lower control arm, just as long as it doesn't scrape on anything when going over speedbumps or driveways

Quick Reply: Ruf Suspension Installed