Reflections on on recent drive SF-Napa-SF

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Reflections on on recent drive SF-Napa-SF

A couple thoughts if anyone is interested:

My P1140 Check Engine code has been coming up again after my last oil change (RMG). Last year after an oil change (Fister-Brentwood) and air filter change it didn't show even once. I am wondering if this is something to due with a a slight intercooler pipe or air filter leak.

Second, it was a cool day (63F), and in stop and go traffic temps got just a hair beyond 9 o'clock. Is that too hot? I never saw the dial drop when the valve opens to the oil cooler. I also never heard the sort of gurgling sound of the oil I sometimes hear from it being sent to the front radiator. Otherwise traffic was good until returning to the city :-)

I stopped by Sonoma Raceway for giggles and bought some of their GT100 unleaded. Just over $9 dollars a gallon! At kings 76 in Woodside it's got to be sub $8 dollars right now.

Car ran like a top!
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Nothing good happens after 2 (o'clock) am...

I see 10 o'clock temps on a regular basis when spirited driving in muggy midwest summer temps.

I have oil (M1 4-cycle) check with Blackstone every other year, no signs of oil breakdown or excessive metals. Use a good oil, and such occasional temps (10 o'clock) are not an issue that I can see. I am confident the temps in the turbos are much higher and the right oil can take it. Worry (Orange zone) starts after 11 o'clock ;-)
Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Honestly my car hardly ever gets to 9 on the gauge, much less 10. I'd consider installing a high speed fan override switch.

I did about 200 miles in my car on Monday and it was very enjoyable. Nice to see people using these cars still.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a P1140 CEL once. For me it turned out one of the small boost hoses behind the throttle body began to deteriorate at on end. I actually could hear the boost leak after it happened so it was easy to find.

P1140 code can be troublesome to diagnose but look for air leaks.

As far as your temp goes, I am pretty sure your oil cooler fan resistor has crapped out. Easy to test by pulling the Relay and jumping the terminals. Do a search here on Rennlist. Make a fused jump cable and then keep it in the car as it is a helpful tool.

Replacing the resistor is easy but requires the front bumper to come off for access.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never heard of a CEL on a TT. I got one once when the dealer made the cruise control cable too tight. I don't think I've ever seen a CEL for SAI, probably bc there isn't one. You figure the turbo would build more carbon
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

P1140 is the only code I have gotten. Using Mobil V-Twin 20w-50. Smog has never been a problem now that I understand how to set the 'readiness' codes. Only real problem is people putting in the wrong small filter I think. Thanks to more info here I think the part number issue has been revealed regarding the small filter. I did not know the Turbo did not have a SAI valve - good to know.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
I did not know the Turbo did not have a SAI valve - good to know.
That is 100% false.

The turbo absolutely has an SAI valve. The part is 996 113 257 70.

shown here
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting, I thought mine didn't have it either since is RoW specs and also no check engine light, however I just took a look and I find the same valve pictured above. Weird, because my 993 Carrera doesn't have the SAI system and is also RoW
Old 06-25-2016, 10:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My friend had a SAI fail/ cel on his '97 turbo, yes it happens, rarely.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Remember the mileage on TT's is, on the average, less than on the NA cars, and their are much less of them, so perhaps that is a contributing factor for the seeming lower amount (if that is in fact happening) SAI faults.

The air pump/valves/stupid routing through the head design are essentially the same on all the 993's.

Put in the switch bypass to turn on the high-speed fan on the oil cooler. I use this often, and never see temperatures above 9, usually below, unless pushing hard on a track where it can raise to 10 at times. Full throttle for long periods can do that .

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Reflections on on recent drive SF-Napa-SF