Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is multiple owners a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:23 AM
brian J
Instructor

Default Is multiple owners a bad thing?

I am looking at a 97tt now that has 3 previous owners, I would be 4. Would you stay away from this? How easy is it to find a 97tt with one previous owner?
Old 10-10-2003 | 11:40 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian which TT or where is it??
Old 10-10-2003 | 11:57 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Brian,

I am the third owner of my car. I bought it with 20,000mls. The two previous owner were elderly gentlemen who used the tt as their third or fourth car. Check if the clutch has already been replaced since it is very unlikely that none of the three previous owners has 'abused' the car. PPI is much more important than the number of previous owners.
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:28 PM
brian J
Instructor

oldguy email sent to you.
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:47 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Brian: Like "Autobahn", I am the third owner of my '97tt. The number of owners was a very minor consideration in my buying decision. The color, the lower miles, and the recent full service weighed far higher than the number of owners.

And, like "Autobahn", my final decision rested upon the results of the PPI (how's the clutch, how are the turbo's, any oil in the intercooler, etc. etc.)

Good luck!

Dan
'97 993tt
Old 10-10-2003 | 12:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Two schools of thought on this... with a single previous owner, you can look him straight in the eye and ask him about every paint chip and service performed on the car. With multiple owners, the car gets "freshened" prior to each sale, and then the new owner springs into action and starts detailing it all over again. With the car you are looking at, I think this isn't a problem. My car had three previous owners when I bought it, and all took great care of the car. It may be better than it would if the original owner had kept it, and ignored some of the routine upgrades. Get that PPI. Post here. We must know what's going on!
Old 10-10-2003 | 02:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve OFE email me at home today.
Brian I got your email and its sounds like its one
tocheck out. the previous guy is a prior Porsche Guy
and thats good. The color is great Ask Steve OFE.
If you pull the trigger on it, buy it with the idea that
the clutch will need service soon and budget for it.
You have time but just be aware since its original.
the only thing I wondered about was the 3rd gear thing.
but a PPI will cover all that
I am at home now through Mon if you have any ?'s
guggyp@msn.com
Old 10-10-2003 | 02:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I looked at it again Brian, sport seats and full aluminum
I would be REALLY happy if I had got one with that.
Black interior is the only thing that would hold me back
but where I live its alot hotter than where you live.
The digital sound is so so but that one is optioned nicely
See how negotiable he is on the price and you may have
found a Weiner, Sorry Steve , I meant Winner. Eye ball it
first, or ask for detail pics of the interior. His shots werent that
good. If you could get him down 5K that would be a good deal
pending PPI. but even 3k would be nice. pending PPI
Old 10-10-2003 | 04:58 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

The number of owners may be more useful on an older car - if you are looking at a 30 year old Porsche and want to know engine history, any restoration details, etc. then having access to 1 owner is nice. On a car that is fairly new, it is not a big deal. Better to have 5 previous owners and a car that is really nice than 1 owner and a spotty car.
Old 10-12-2003 | 02:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The first owner of a car is always the best. The second owner is probably beginning to lose interest in the "perfect" condition. The third owner really takes it to the point that it is simply no longer possible to know anything for sure. This is a bit like the game where children sit in a circle and whisper the same message to each other. The whispered message usually starts out "My mother knows your mother. They drink tea together." and ends up "Smart monkey rode a donkey. Thinking, drinking. He, he!"

Well, that marvellously educational digression illustrates that, over years and from one owner to the next, various "inaccuracies" become so vague and unfounded as to be meaningless.

Measure the car on its merits and assemble all documents and records. Take any of the anecdotes from the present owner as interesting but not necessarily factual.

In my experience as a buyer, I tried to exercise the discipline to walk away if everything didn't add up.

Cheers,
Old 10-12-2003 | 09:41 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would try to contact the previous owners. I suspect if there is service history, it may be quite easy, and/or have the previous dealerships contact the previous owners for them to call you. Most Porsche folks really enjoy speaking about their previous cars. Obviously if no service history since new, it is a good reason to stay away IMO.

Quick Reply: Is multiple owners a bad thing?