Sponsored by:

trunk finish

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 PM
db993tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk finish

While changing a bad battery, I discovered some wear and surface rust on the surfaces below it. I started cleaning and brushing to find some of the factory coating missing and pulling away. I would like to restore this area but so far can not find products or procedures to do the job. I've tried cleaning, priming, painting and coating with no success. nothing seems to cure if it is applied to the factory coating. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

try POR15
Old 03-13-2016, 01:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

POR15 is good if there is rust, but it needs to be painted over too

There are a few different textured finishes in the trunk, and Porsche never did a great job on the paintwork in there. It does vary between cars, but many have a base coat without a clear, and in some places that base is thin .. and there is the seam sealer and stippled bottom of the trunk, which is also painted.

What exact surface are you talking about?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-15-2016, 02:26 PM
db993tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The textured finish that covers the floor of the trunk and beneath the battery. it is almost a rubbery finish with a flat black color. One can easily see the overspray up a bit on the sidewalls. you can see where it was sprayed over the seam sealer. It does appear to be sprayed over a light colored primer.
Thank you for your help.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It should be the same color as your car, but with out any gloss. I think your car is black?

The rubber coating on the bottom is sprayed on, and I am not sure if you can DIY and have the same texture. You probably can buy it somewhere, perhaps 3M stoneguard and then paint over it? Body shops can duplicate it since then often have to do during repairs. The factory varied a bit on how much the side panels were sprayed, but the bottom of the floor is painted to match the body color. You are right, you can see the lighter colored primer either not be covered or lightly covered, that is how it comes from the factory.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 AM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try using swamp cooler sealer in the spray can. It will be black but can be painted when dry. Provides good protection to the metal.

Quick Reply: trunk finish