Sponsored by:

Car storage question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car storage question?

In an attempt to save my girls from deterioration I keep both 911's in a specific garage that is air-conditioned. It Maintains a temperature of 70° and low humidity; perfect for storage.....or so I think

But when I take them out of the garage and into humidity. They become instantly saturated in moisture. This moisture burns off immediately on the exterior of course and there's not really anything noteworthy on the interior either. So certainly not a problem at all visually and its Not even enough to cause watermarks or streaks of moisture. But I can't help but think this moisture would be throughout the body and especially the electronics.

Could I potentially be contributing to some corrosion to the electronics?

Does anyone know what the gurus do? How would a collector accommodate for this when taking them out of their stored environment into humidity?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

quit worrying about it.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 238 Likes on 160 Posts

I park mine in an unheated garage with a humidifier so it's dry and there's no condensation. Having a highly rust prone Z for 38 years, I've found temperature is not important but humidity is a destroyer. Like Quadcammer alludes to, we might be overthinking this - but that's what we do here.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
But when I take them out of the garage and into humidity. They become instantly saturated in moisture. This moisture burns off immediately on the exterior of course and there's not really anything noteworthy on the interior either.
You answered your own question, already. The condensation, from the temperature gradient (not humidity) quickly dissipates. A proper 70 degree storage facility probably has humidity of about 35%, or lower, if properly working correctly. This is more important than your car's surface condensing upon exposure to warm, humid, air outside.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

LexVan, your knowledge on these cars never ceases to amaze me!

And Quadcammer, well ..................
Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Yeah I'm just tryin to preserve. Irreplaceable. Like the values but with 2 kids in college I actually can't afford another. I'll never sell so I'll do all I can. I enjoy this 993 so throughly I'd prefer it last as long as I do.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
LexVan, your knowledge on these cars never ceases to amaze me!

And Quadcammer, well ..................
sorry, not everything needs a dissertation.

this is a non issue.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Can't we play nice? If a topic is unappealing simply ignore it; b/c it may not necessarily be uninteresting to others......I mean we posted a ton of comments on someone just getting their car inspected...Ruf smog (And I thought that topic was interesting as well).

I just don't want a blanket of condensation all over the vehicle when it comes out of the garage; it just seems very wrong. And I think Lex hit it on the head with the humidity thing for storage as the most important factor.
So I changed the temp to 74 degrees and there was much less condensation just with a 4 degree change....Much less. Shame its my "tinkering" workshop garage and I'd like it cooler. I was just looking for tricks/methods other might have employed.

I wonder what Colombian drug lords do for storage they must have a lot of exotics? Maybe that's why Cuba is restoring relations.... all their cars are rusting out in the heat/humidity.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Dirty, what wax/sealant products are on your car? Something like RejeX or a nano coating like CQUARTZ or OptiCoat might serve you better because it will shed the moisture better and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Dirty, what wax/sealant products are on your car? Something like RejeX or a nano coating like CQUARTZ or OptiCoat might serve you better because it will shed the moisture better and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I use that "P21S Carnauba" Wax. But it's not so much the paint I'm worried about. it's the continuous redeposit of condensation on every square inch of the vehicle inside and out with literally every removal from the garage from the months of June through early September.

I thought the shop was a great place for storage being a "cool dry place" ..and it is....but I know this condensate has got to be everywhere. I suppose the garage simply needs to be at a higher temp closer to ambient....I was looking for a guru trick...
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that if the car was warm then no condensation would 'condensate' into water. Likewise, if it was cold in the garage there wouldn't be any need for a dehumidifier as freezing air cannot hold any water either.

A cold garage is what you need, or a VERY warm / dry one, like a paint spray booth!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

"A cold garage is what you need, or a VERY warm / dry one, like a paint spray booth!"

I know right? that's what i thought but unfortunately that's not going to work for me.

-warm and dry is fine
-cold isn't

You just can't bring a car existing in 70 degree temperature and low humidity into 85 degrees and high humidity... without accepting that it will be covered in condensate.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

[QUOTE=Ridin Dirty;12477241
You just can't bring a car existing in 70 degree temperature and low humidity into 85 degrees and high humidity... without accepting that it will be covered in condensate.[/QUOTE]

That was my point. Have an unheated garage so it will be the same temp as outside but keep a humidifier on hand to keep the garage dry all the way down to freezing.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
That was my point. Have an unheated garage so it will be the same temp as outside but keep a humidifier on hand to keep the garage dry all the way down to freezing.
True but "unheated" but will have to be "uncooled" as well.

And not cool is just .....not cool b/c it's my workshop too. it's 90 degrees F outside and I would like the garage to be preferably less than 74 degrees (and it can be) but i just cant open the garage doors or take the cars out without condensation all over the vehicles.

It just has to be this way i guess....can't change physics
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
True but "unheated" but will have to be "uncooled" as well.

And not cool is just .....not cool b/c it's my workshop too. it's 90 degrees F outside and I would like the garage to be preferably less than 74 degrees (and it can be) but i just cant open the garage doors or take the cars out without condensation all over the vehicles.

It just has to be this way i guess....can't change physics
Yup, but even with condensation, bet you car outlives all of us!

Quick Reply: Car storage question?