Sponsored by:

help with a 933tt

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
kevin930s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with a 933tt

Im looking at a 993tt and the ower states COMPLETE TURBO S UPGRADE PACKAGE FROM FACTORY, UPGRADE TURBO CHROME RIMS FROM FACTORY, CARBON FIBER THROUGHOUT
Would this meen its a turbo S or could this be added to a reg 993tt?
Thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 12:45 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it the one on auto trader?? for 60K??
In SoCal somewhere black?
I did not understand that either, but iif its
true that would be a good deal. BUT take it
to a palce to get a PPI and ask a gazillion
?'s and ask what the inspector thinks of this
Make sure you take it to a KNOWLEDGABLE
Porsche person to find out exactly what this
car is and good luck.
OG
Old 09-14-2003, 01:57 AM
kevin930s
Instructor

Yes it is. Are there any markings unique to the S model? If its not a S is 60k a good price?
Thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 05:52 AM
noony
Racer

I guess that means it has the 430/450hp pack? This will be a normal TT with these things added on. You see many of these TT S ''wannabees'' but of course they perform the same and are actually lighter!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:32 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally posted by noony
but of course they perform the same and are actually lighter!
Why are they lighter than a regular tt ?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:39 AM
noony
Racer

The regular TT is lighter than an S because the S had so many options, all of which added weight.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:44 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally posted by noony
The regular TT is lighter than an S because the S had so many options, all of which added weight.
Sorry, I thought you meant the other way round. When the UK mags tested the Euro turbo S, they did all claim that it was actually lighter than a regulat tt, Autocar printed a figure of 1450kg - This was not true, the magazines had interpreted Porsche talking about the 4 wheel drive system being 50kg lighter than the old 964 system as meaning the S was 50kg lighter than a regular tt !
Old 09-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

The wheels in a turbo S are not chromed usually; rather, they have a "polished" finish (not sure what the official description is). Other distinguishing features include rear fender arch ducts, front ducts, different rear wing, front spoiler lip, lots of carbon inside and turbo S logo. However, from your first post it seems like the owner is representing the car as having been upgraded with factory parts at a factory authorised service centre installation. Maybe this means that some or all of the aspects of a turbo S car are featured in the car but I cannot tell with the information at hand and my opinion is just my interpretation of your post.

A turbo S ECU or ECU that is modified to perform like a true turbo S should, ideally, extract more power from the engine than a regular tt ECU would. Of course this also means that any regular tt can be made to do this by a simple swap of ECU and addition of an oil cooler (the rest of the cosmetic bits are only marginally useful - maybe the rear wing change adds to cooling a bit more than marginal but facts are not crystal clear). Insignifant, but since the issue of weight was brought up by someone above, the turbo S may not necessarily be lighter; in fact, the carbon bits may even actually add a tiny fraction of weight over most non-carbon optioned regular turbos. Otherwise, the S model simply has additional weight adding items with the POSSIBLE exception of the rear wing which may or may not weigh less than the regular wing. Basically, I would guess that any difference is marginal at best and most likely, insignificant.

You should also note that there are differences in what is considered turbo S in the US and in other parts of the world. Also there are differences in availability and variety of official powerkit upgrades to the regular 993TT in the US and RoW.

Good luck with the due diligence process.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:58 AM
noony
Racer

Originally posted by TB993tt
Sorry, I thought you meant the other way round. When the UK mags tested the Euro turbo S, they did all claim that it was actually lighter than a regulat tt, Autocar printed a figure of 1450kg - This was not true, the magazines had interpreted Porsche talking about the 4 wheel drive system being 50kg lighter than the old 964 system as meaning the S was 50kg lighter than a regular tt !
I hadn't heard that, interesting.

I've always though of the TT S as a more luxurious, heavier 993 TT, with the GT2 being the real deal in terms of pace and power.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:32 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't it have a sticker with all the option codes that came on it from the factory? You could then tell if the stuff was added later or not.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be very careful of that car. I spoke to the guy a month ago and his story was shaky at best. The car was imported, he didn't know if it had a salvage title etc. The car is still sitting their for $60k all this time. Something is not right. Mike W
Old 09-15-2003, 04:01 PM
kevin930s
Instructor

Ok here the deal The car has a past! It was in an accident (no frame damage) but damage to the transmission, engine and suspension. all parts were replaced new. The car after passing a very through inspection by a Newport Beach Factory Authorized Porsche Dealership qualified and was given an extended warrantee issued and sold by Newport Automotive. The miles are accurate, it drives stright, looks great has been modified to look like a 993 S sans rear tail and some interior appointments.
Would this be a bad car to buy?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Kevin,

Put a new thread on the 993 board asking a Newport Beach Rennlister to stop by and eyeball the car for you. However, there may be no "bargain" here. What are the "S" upgrades? An upgraded ECU is worth $2500. The S oil cooler is $1000 + install. If you're talking about a low mileage 97TT with a "past", and the car is expertly repaired and is perfect, this price is probably OK, maybe even on the low side. Adding the rear fender vents doesn't add any value, and the "S" front splitter is a matter of taste.

You may be better off looking for a "no story" 1996 or 1997 TT with 35,000 + miles for the same money. I bought my car with 49,500 (now has 57,000) miles, and haven't regretted my choice at all. But I drive my car, and didn't want to pay a premium for a low mileage car.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:04 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my .02. This car had damage to the engine, transmission, and suspension, but NO damage to the frame. Seems like a major accident when you have to replace or repair those components. I wouldn't be comfortable with its history.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:11 AM
kevin930s
Instructor

Im going to pass on this car Thanks for the help everyone

Quick Reply: help with a 933tt