Sponsored by:

turbo giving heart ache

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 AM
JHR55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo giving heart ache

Love the car. Turbo was leaking oil so replace both turbo charger last month. All was fine until yesterday when i notice the gauge show no boost. 0 bar. Power was there. I think i felt the surge when turbo kick in. Cant be 100 % sure. I only drove it less than 1000 miles a year.

How can i check if turbo working or if any sensor need replacement myself? Dealer is 200 miles away.

will have sleepless night until its fixed.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:27 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test it with a stopwatch 0-100, if you break below 10 sec. all is OK.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are about a dozen or so vacuum lines that can easily come off or crack. Check them all! That is most likely your lack of "boost" on the gauge. Start at both diverter valves that are at the front (forward) part of engine, tucked behind the intercooler. If you have orginal rubber, you NEED to change everything that handles vacuum/boost. 20'year old rubber, regardless of mileage is shot! I was able to pull all diverter valve, ISV hoses and go to an auto parts store. Then I matched the shape of each hose and bought,much stronger, heater core hoses and made them work. Have never had a "blow off" since. Probably need new diverter valves (EVO forged over stock) and check all small vacuum lines.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
JHR55
Instructor

Thanks will check them. Would it cause any damage to engine or turbocharger if i drive the car short distance? About 5 miles?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

If your turbos really produced no boost, you would know.

You are taking about an 8:1 compression car here....it would feel like an epic dog.

You may just have a bad boost sensor gauge.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

You're not really going to do any damage to the turbos if you're losing boost pressure. The turbos will still continue to run as they normally would, but the efficiency of your engine will deminish. Resolve it as soon as you can. Don't just keep driving it in that state.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:12 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHR55
Thanks will check them. Would it cause any damage to engine or turbocharger if i drive the car short distance? About 5 miles?
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If your turbos really produced no boost, you would know.

You are taking about an 8:1 compression car here....it would feel like an epic dog.

You may just have a bad boost sensor gauge.
As Quad stated it could be the sensor. First make sure all vacuum lines are free of cracks and securely attached! Don't just change the sensor (like I did) to later find you still aren't measuring boost (but you have it). Mine was a (vacuum) line that came off of one of the diverter valves.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM
JHR55
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice. Hope can resolve it asap.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when I had one of my hoses behind the throttle body come loose I had a CEL but it ran OK but because of the CEL I never got it on boost. But even driving home on the freeway with the windows open I could hear sucking so I knew it was leaking somewhere. After I got the car home and let it cool down it wouldn't even idle with the hose disconnected. So if your only symptom is the boost guage I would start there. Check the electric connections first then look for loose hoses. Otherwise a big leak should be heard but not necessarily easily found.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a smart tech shop and do a smoke test to check for leaks in the turbo boost and suction plumbing.
The rubber is typically old and susceptible to cracking and leaks
Ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: turbo giving heart ache