Sponsored by:

Engine mis-firing while on boost.....fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Engine mis-firing while on boost.....fixed

I don't drive my car much, approx. 4,000 miles in the last 8 years. For about the last 6 months or so, while going over 1 bar of boost (max 1.3 bar) the engine would just crap out. I replaced the plugs from Beru 14F 6 LDU to Bosch FR5 LDC, problem solved . What a great feeling to have the car running properly again!

I had read up on Rennlist about the spark plug DIY change. With the proper tools the plug change is not that difficult, however getting the spark plug cap out of cylinder #6 was very difficult for me. For those that have done it many times there is probably an easy way to remove it but I struggled as there is no clearance to pull it out, or put it back in .
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

#6 I do from the underside of the car - but before I undo the last spark plug wire clamp on the topside so there is more slack in the spark plug wires, and then work on the bottom (it helps with a lift) - you can pull #6 spark plug cap back out of its hole in between the frame of the car and the subframe mounts, then squeeze the tip of the cap out of the hole towards #5 and then push the cap towards the rear of the car to get it out of the way. Easier to show than explain, but it is a tight spot and the clearances are small if any.....

Sounds like you conquered it anyways - great!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-01-2014, 06:25 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, but don't ya have 12 plugs? Figured the 3.8 was a twin plug
Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
#6 I do from the underside of the car - but before I undo the last spark plug wire clamp on the topside so there is more slack in the spark plug wires, and then work on the bottom (it helps with a lift) - you can pull #6 spark plug cap back out of its hole in between the frame of the car and the subframe mounts, then squeeze the tip of the cap out of the hole towards #5 and then push the cap towards the rear of the car to get it out of the way. Easier to show than explain, but it is a tight spot and the clearances are small if any.....

Sounds like you conquered it anyways - great!

Cheers,

Mike
I did the plug change with the IC, boost hoses and rear wheels off. I wanted to verify that my boost hoses were not leaking first. I did remove #6 plug from underneath the car with the access panel removed. I don't run mufflers so that helped.

Yes it would be great if you could do a short video removing #6 plug cap. Of course that area is so tight it would be next to impossible to get a video of anything other than your hands fumbling around.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Hey, but don't ya have 12 plugs? Figured the 3.8 was a twin plug
Some 3.8's are single and some are twin plug. I do plan on twin plugging the heads in the near future.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:37 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Scott,

Great info. I recently had a #6 misfire as well. I should do that plug change/update. I also have the S-Car-Go hoses that I need to install. I am guessing the mufflers may hinder my efforts on the #6 but we'll see. I have a scissor lift in my garage so hoping that access will help.

I would also be interested in hearing about your twin plug project and your current 3.8... I've always wanted to do this. Currently I have 64k on my 97TT and it feels very strong so probably won't do anything internal for sometime. If you would PM me your email and I will send over my contact info. Would be good to talk with someone who has done this.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^ Bryan you don't need to yank the mufflers for access to the #6 plug. To do the hoses, it will be necessary. Probably set it up to do both items, since it's easier to do the plugs 4,5 & 6 with that boost hose off.
Let me know if ya need help.
Richard.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

spark plugs in this car suck so bad.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
spark plugs in this car suck so bad.
I've done it 4 times now. This last time wasn't as bad as the first 3. I bought a plug wrench/socket that has the swivel integrated. It alleviates alot of the stress of losing something down in the unseen abyss. It's length is perfect. Sits about flush with valve cover when on the plug. You can find it on Amazon or at Tool Topia. But yes, they suck. But I did actually still have some skin left on the back of my hands this time. Saved some money on bandaids.

Quick Reply: Engine mis-firing while on boost.....fixed