Sponsored by:

Starter motor fails to engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 AM
dnmnm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starter motor fails to engage

Looking for advice/suggestions: I have a good battery, and the starter motor spins but is failing to engage the flywheel. The car has not been started in about two months, but had no problems when I last shut it down. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, what was the solution...? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like the solenoid engagement is not being activated - if you hear the motor spinning, but no click that drives the gear forward to engage the flywheel ring gear. If the motor is spinning, that means there is power to the motor, and it also means the solenoid must have at least moved to make the contacts to engage the contacts to power the motor.

First test might sound silly but its worth a try - give the starter a good couple of wacks with a rubber mallet and try it again. If no luck, drop the starter and bench test it. The upper bolt on the starter is a bear especially without a lift, and even more especially if its never been off before.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
dnmnm
Instructor

Thanks Mike, I'll try that! The motor definitely spins, and there is a clicking noise that sounds to me like the gear on the starter making contact with the flywheel gear, but not fully engaging. Coincidentally, I have a lift scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so it may be a weekend project.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

There is a brass/copper bushing in the trans/motor case, that the tip if the starter shaft/motor fits into. If the brass/copper bushing is warn enough, it can cause the starter to not properly engage the flywheel and act like the solenoid is not engaging the starter to the flywheel, but it may be binding up the gear / as the shaft it rides on is no longer aligned with flywheel.

For me this got worse over time, so at first it would take a few times to start, was worse when it was hot from recent driving.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 PM
dnmnm
Instructor

I appreciate the information! The lift installation was a disaster...still waiting for the installer to make it right, so I haven't been able to get the car up to investigate further...

Quick Reply: Starter motor fails to engage