Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$400,000

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The Turbo S in question is not a Canadian car, it is a Japanese car.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

OK, how about this. We'll draw up a sales agreement. I'll bring the car in for you, register it in my name as a Canadian car. It's a ROW car isn't it? Then you buy it from me after a year or so at a pre-arranged price? Not to hijack the thread but, pre-arranged 'cause I think there is huge downside risk associated with the price of these cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the NHTSA/EPA, it really doesn't matter where the car came from, if it's from any other country but the U.S. It's got to meet the same criteria.
That's why I'm speculating as I don't know the true specifics (only heard it from my registered importer). HE told me that as long as the SAME car was sold in the U.S. with the exact same safety and emissions requirements, it's merely a matter of a few additional documents.

Just checked myself, the specific requirement is that you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car complies with the U.S. safety and emissions requirements. I'm obviously not sure how willing Porsche would be to issue such a letter but it would be worth a try.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 PM
mausone46
Racer

Japanese Turbo S had the same engine as euro car with K24 and 450 PS
why had the US Turbo S only the x 50 ( 430 PS) engine, maybe emission problem?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Yes, it is ugly and gratuitous. But need to grab attention. Looking for a Turbo S with very low mileage (do not need any thread highjackers railing about garage queens - start your own thread) with rear seat and sunroof delete. There are more than a handful and I want one.

Serious car and serious money.

PM or email only, posting here is a waste of time. Finder's fees gladly paid.

Thank you.
so... did you ever found one? i am curious if any sunroof delete Turbo S cars even exist... (i know Turbo cars with sunroof delete exist but aside from this Japanese one, any other Turbo S with sunroof delete?)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In spite of some serious digging, no. The closest I came was a rear seat and wiper delete, but it appears that every US car came with a sunroof.

The car in Vancouver cannot be imported to the U.S. without a full EPA and DOT conversion. Again, it is not a Canadian car just because it currently resides in Vancouver; it remains a Japanese spec from delivery with vastly different safety and emissions specs than the US requires. Porsche will not issue a letter because they can't.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In spite of some serious digging, no. The closest I came was a rear seat and wiper delete, but it appears that every US car came with a sunroof.
yeah, i remember reading the same somewhere...

there is no way to get historic build records for North America bound 993 Turbo S from Porsche factory or Porsche museum?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Boober
Racer

That's really unfortunate. Issue is most likely with the difference in the engine between ROW and U.S.

So this could be a very very rare beast indeed if no U.S. models were made without a sunroof. I wonder how many other ROW cars were non-sunroof.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boober
To the NHTSA/EPA, it really doesn't matter where the car came from, if it's from any other country but the U.S. It's got to meet the same criteria.
That's why I'm speculating as I don't know the true specifics (only heard it from my registered importer). HE told me that as long as the SAME car was sold in the U.S. with the exact same safety and emissions requirements, it's merely a matter of a few additional documents.

Just checked myself, the specific requirement is that you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car complies with the U.S. safety and emissions requirements. I'm obviously not sure how willing Porsche would be to issue such a letter but it would be worth a try.
You would never get that letter from any manufacturer. Same issue exist in China btw ...
Old 02-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
yeah, i remember reading the same somewhere...

there is no way to get historic build records for North America bound 993 Turbo S from Porsche factory or Porsche museum?
depends who you are and who you know ...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

jap car is in my avatar... because of the 25 year rule in USA it really hurts the resale short term... but it is great for us canadians....

Same goes for land rover defenders..
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 993tt sunroof relete but no S

993tt sunroof relete but no S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

The car in Vancouver cannot be imported to the U.S. without a full EPA and DOT conversion. Again, it is not a Canadian car just because it currently resides in Vancouver; it remains a Japanese spec from delivery with vastly different safety and emissions specs than the US requires. Porsche will not issue a letter because they can't.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:38 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok fine, I'll pay $400k for a low mileage Turbo S, under 10,000 miles WITH a sunroof
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
Ok fine, I'll pay $400k for a low mileage Turbo S, under 10,000 miles WITH a sunroof
If we could go back to when this thread was started, that order could be filled.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
You would never get that letter from any manufacturer. Same issue exist in China btw ...
Actually what usually happens is (if the car is not already eligible for importation) the registered importer has to petition the NHTSA, stating what you need to change (if anything) to meet each FMVSS. That document is then published in the federal register asking for public comments. PCNA will then comment with, "this is actually different so you shouldn't be allowed to import". The NHTSA will then give you a thumbs up or down. And if they rule against you, you can file again a few months later.

Quick Reply: $400,000