Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter "disconnected", can't get car in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014 | 08:57 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Default Shifter "disconnected", can't get car in gear

Coming back from a short drive yesterday, wife pulled the shifter left to put the car in reverse and something must have come loose...the shifter now feels completely disconnected and I cannot get the car in gear. The car was stuck in the driveway and pushed it in the garage. For what it's worth, she is a decent driver and this was her second outing with the car

I found this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-in-gear.html and would like your opinion to see if this is likely the same problem? In any case, I guess I'll have to remove the transmission tunnel and see. To be honest, I'm a novice DIYer so I don't expect to be able to fix anything as I feel like the Golden Rod / SSK mod is beyond my ability :-/

TIA for your help!
Old 09-06-2014 | 12:32 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

UPDATE:

I removed all covers under the car to get access...the ball that goes into a cup (first picture) is disconnected. The cup that it goes into (second picture) has some dried up material in it. Can I just change that part (the rod with the cup) or maybe just replace the insert that goes in the cup?

Thanks!

This is the ball located right under the shifter that is disconnected

The cup in which the ball normally sits seems to have some dried up material...can I just replace that cup or the insert in the cup?
Old 09-06-2014 | 01:52 PM
993 770
Pro

This is pretty common, happened to me on my previous TT. It's fixable and not a very expensive part, but what you should really do is... Get it towed, call FD and get a Golden Rod and SS shipped ASAP.

You'll thank us!
Old 09-06-2014 | 02:47 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Yeah...Golden Rod / SSK seems to be the way to go, but I would really prefer not to have the car towed and at the shop for 1-2 weeks. It's almost winter here and I need to drive the car while I still can Also, I am kind of **** on the whole OEM / keep it original thing.

If I were to go the OEM route and just change that "not very expensive part", which one are you referring to in this diagram? Would I need to replace completely #15?

Again, thanks for your help...I'm just trying to fully understand all options before I make a move.
Old 09-06-2014 | 03:12 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

If you need the car running before u get a new cup or SSK, just snap cup/rod back on and either use thin wire or zip ties to back it up so it won't pop off till u get new part. If u do so, make sure to have a minimal amount of excess on wire/zip tie. It could bind up if you dont leave clearance. This is a bandaid only till u proprly fix/replace it.
Old 09-06-2014 | 03:44 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
If you need the car running before u get a new cup or SSK, just snap cup/rod back on and either use thin wire or zip ties to back it up so it won't pop off till u get new part. If u do so, make sure to have a minimal amount of excess on wire/zip tie. It could bind up if you dont leave clearance. This is a bandaid only till u proprly fix/replace it.
That sounds like a reasonable plan..that being said, the cup rod a completely loose and cannot be snapped back at all...is this normal or is the cup now too loose?
Old 09-06-2014 | 03:52 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Also...does anyone know the name or part number of the plastic insert that goes in the cup? (the piece that would make the the two parts fit nice and tight together)
Old 09-06-2014 | 06:25 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I can't find a PN for the cup insert. Don't see it on this. Maybe someone else can chime in with it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  115.6 KB
Old 09-06-2014 | 06:36 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

The OE rod is about $180, the 2 insert bushes are available and about $20-$30.
This is definitely a back yard DIY job as you have already removed the tunnel cover.
Put a wire or plastic tie wrap around the rod to prevent it falling down and leaving you stranded. Although mine lasted 17 years -- so think round about 2030!
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2014 | 07:03 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cabarnak
Yeah...Golden Rod / SSK seems to be the way to go, but I would really prefer not to have the car towed and at the shop for 1-2 weeks. It's almost winter here and I need to drive the car while I still can Also, I am kind of **** on the whole OEM / keep it original thing.
I'd highly recommend you go for the Golden Rod / SSK combo from FD. Get it shipped to you early next week, take into a shop for install and you'll be back on the road before next weekend.

It's a pretty nice upgrade over the factory setup for your driving enjoyment. And if you really wanted to revert back to OEM one day, it's quite simple to do so too. You will not have an issue getting rid of the FD kit, although I don't think you will be.
Old 09-06-2014 | 07:14 PM
993 770
Pro

I'd like to add that the SSK & GR improve feel and shifting significantly. I have my original setup that the prior owner had replaced only a few hundred miles ago. PM me if your interested. My car will never be stock again
Old 09-06-2014 | 07:23 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Tried friend's car fitted with goldenrod; found no significant difference between OE.
And to me not worth around $300.
Incidentally, new bushes are available from Porsche and Pelican at around $20. Part # 928.116.145.03 clutch lever ball cup bushing.
So you have a choice-- $300, $180 or $20; and in my opinion they all feel quite similar.
But to each his own.

Old 09-06-2014 | 07:37 PM
993 770
Pro

Originally Posted by x50type
Tried friend's car fitted with goldenrod; found no significant difference between OE. And to me not worth around $300. Incidentally, new bushes are available from Porsche and Pelican at around $20. Part # 928.116.145.03 clutch lever ball cup bushing. So you have a choice-- $300, $180 or $20; and in my opinion they all feel quite similar. But to each his own.
Unlike most people RL I don't get offended when people disagree with me. I noticed a difference and I would install in each and every one of my 993's (assuming I get a few more at some point).

Bottom line, get her back on the road and enjoy!
Old 09-06-2014 | 08:10 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 770
Unlike most people RL I don't get offended when people disagree with me. I noticed a difference and I would install in each and every one of my 993's (assuming I get a few more at some point).

Bottom line, get her back on the road and enjoy!
Disagreeing with the benefits of the GR are not the common denominator. I made my own RS shift rod with a U-Joint. When removing the original shift rod and seeing the ridiculous amount of slop in the crusty, dried up rubber flap of a joint, I knew immed. the difference would be substancial. Wasn't let down. Clarity and feel of shifts is 2-3 times better. Along with suspension, SSK/GR are pretty much prereqs for a properly set up 993, regardless of trim.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  83.2 KB
Old 09-06-2014 | 09:46 PM
993 770
Pro

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Disagreeing with the benefits of the GR are not the common denominator. I made my own RS shift rod with a U-Joint. When removing the original shift rod and seeing the ridiculous amount of slop in the crusty, dried up rubber flap of a joint, I knew immed. the difference would be substancial. Wasn't let down. Clarity and feel of shifts is 2-3 times better. Along with suspension, SSK/GR are pretty much prereqs for a properly set up 993, regardless of trim.
I remember that post, and definitely commend the ingenuity! I just don't trust myself to tinker, so I'll gladly pay the difference to know what I'm getting. If I had the skills to try that myself, I might have given it a shot. Great solution to a common problem at a significant discount. Well done @overboosted28!

Quick Reply: Shifter "disconnected", can't get car in gear