Old 08-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Default High Output Turbochargers

Well many of you have seen similar pictures of these wheels in the past. However, lately I have been wondering how many owners would tear down there engines to prepare there cars for 650-700hp... I am going to try to put together ECU programming to benifit our cars. Right now there is no support for the high HP engines and thus we cannot use the high volume turbos' that are being built for our 996 brothers. Yes, they will work, but not to the extremes that they are using. Developement costs are expensive. I for one am lucky that we share alot of the main components with the 996, as far as turbochargers are concerned.

This picture shows a K16/K24 cartridge built up using the Garrett ball bearing compressor wheel (T28), the other wheel is the high volume titanuim wheel and the stage 3 K24 wheel which is about 1/4 larger than the stock K16 wheel.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin

650+ hp What are you talking about when you say tear down your engine? 3.8L, twin plugs, that kind of stuff. Or are you talking about space/engineering the install?
Old 08-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Keith;

The stock rod bolts will not hold up to the high loads. I wouldn't trust the redesigned light weight rods either. A switch to titanuim rods from Ruf or Carrillo H beams rods. While apart twin plug the cylinders and install positive lock sealing rings. A more aggressive camshaft choice would be wise.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

The main limitation in maintaining over 600hp in the 993tt I believe is the intercooling efficiency - The only intercooler capable of MAINTAINING these sorts of power levels is the GT2 EVO Secan produced unit which uses a different induction allowing the I/C to sit right to the back of the engine. I have twin plugs, GT2 EVO head sealing, Carillos,cams etc which has the potential to produce 600hp and indeed does for brief periods on "overboost", but my DIN output is limited by intercooling, I use the big Cargraphic/FVD/TTP unit which is only good for a reliable DIN 520/540 hp. Having said the above, there will be benefits with a more efficient turbo.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:25 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

TB993TT

I was just reading in Excellence Oct. 2003 about the Stola GTS that has a liquid cooled intercooler with a radiator taking some space from the rear luggage compartment. Have you ever heard of any one plumbing a separate system to a liquid cooled intercooler. I know the Stola is a water cooled engine but it's just a thought. What do you think?

Old 08-11-2003, 09:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

KRA993tt
The Stola uses an engine designed by TTP. This company originally used this type of intercooler on its turbo conversions to N/A 993 to enable the 993 to keep its retractable rear wing. TTP also did conventional air/air intercoolers for 993 turbo conversions which were prepared to use an intercooler friendly wing. The air/air versions were always quoted as having much more power hence I would conclude that the air/air method will be the more effective solution where max power is required.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:44 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

TB993tt

I should have known it had been done or thought of before. Just trying to get to the cooler temps you described. oh well. Is the EVO unit you are describing still being manufactured ?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:11 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

TB,

Were there more than just the production IC and the Evo IC produced by Porsche?? One of the guys on this board has a really sweet Turbo S conversion, and it has a much thicker than standard core the still uses the top lid on the IC. Hmmm, come to thnk of it doesn't Andial reuse parts of the factory IC and then modify it allowing you to retain the top piece?

Do you have any pictures of the factory Evo unit? And I still want those intake photos.. You are my guinea pig here, so if it works on your car, then I'll buy it....
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Water injection in the intake is also another possibility. We know it works as it was introduced by Royal Royce in WWII on the planes. By increaseing the density of the air you also increase the volumetric efficiency. In turn you remove uneven hot spots and drop intake temps as much as 100 degrees. It merit really shines when you push the application to the point that 100 octane would be most beneficial. The water makes it simple and has a proven record. We see it work with the 930s quiet well. Even on stock inefficient intercoolers. Unless CFM is an issue with the 993TT and I know it isn't then this may be the help you need. I am still working on the kit for the 996TT, but the results have all been positive. The major issue for the stockers as Kevin said is the rods, and rod nuts and bolts.

FWIW isn't the Lancer coming with water injector right off the show room floor?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:51 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob
There was a GT2 (pre EVO) I/C as well which was like stock but a bit bigger and put on the 465hp racers -I had the opportunity to buy one of these but was told (by RS) that it would be no better than stock (or TTP/Cargraphic)
Yeah that's Andial who put a thicker core in the stock set up - they say it works but I am unconvinced until I see back to back tests with the stock I/C. The top German outfits say the factory one is as good as you can get and good for up to 540hp from there the only way is $15K and Secan.
PorschePhD
With due respect that you work with these things every day, A racing team near where I live had a 993 GT2 EVO spec RS Tuning racing motor with around 620hp - they were promised great things by Aquamist who sell these water injection systems in the UK. It was installed and tested on the dyno - what did it do - nothing, no extra power anywhere. Hence I am pretty sceptical having watched the process (albeit second hand)
Old 08-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have seen a few TT track cars plumbed using the windshield tank as a alcohol water mist applicator for the intercooler. Select the boost that you want with a pressure sending unit of your choice, and inject the mix over the core. You will greatly improve the efficiency of the cooler.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TB;

You also need to weigh in the fact that if your compressor wheels are at the max in terms of RPM and close to Stall, no intercooler will help the situation. Once the air temps reach 350 degrees at the compressor housings, your wheels will destroy themselves. We call it overspeed burst. But in fact the aluminum turns to mush and flies apart.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:27 PM
FM9
Intermediate

Originally posted by PorschePhD

FWIW isn't the Lancer coming with water injector right off the show room floor?
No it doesn't. What it does have is an external intercooler water spray system. It can be set to auto or manual.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:11 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Kevin
I have seen a few TT track cars plumbed using the windshield tank as a alcohol water mist applicator for the intercooler. Select the boost that you want with a pressure sending unit of your choice, and inject the mix over the core. You will greatly improve the efficiency of the cooler.
I'm not sure if I/you have the wrong end of the stick here, I think PhD is talking about a water mist being injected into the airflow which enters the combustion chambers not an intercooler efficiency improver.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TB;

I do understand external vs internal.

Quick Reply: High Output Turbochargers