Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tacker
Mike J
I used off the shelf mandrel bends. 2 180s and 4 90s I then did some mock ups and then drew up the cross over section. I cut the tubes on the milling machine adding indexing notches that I could use to assemble. I messed up here and there but over all come out ok. I did consider connection the left to right but wanted to try this set up first.
Mike
Nice! Who did your source the bends from? Burns?

(asking because I have been considering doing something similar ... )

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About the clutch,
I don't have much for pictures but here's what I got. This is the C5 corvette setup.
I machined the cover to convert the clutch into a "pot style" clutch. Then bought the heavy tilton flywheel.
Kinda a PITA capping off the power assist lines and bleeding the throwout bearing. I had to make a clutch stop on the slave cylinder to limit the travel so I won't over travel the throwout bearing (HRB).

Driving the tilton. Well the clutch feels heavy to hold depressed at a stop light. The disengagement point is all the way depressed for 1st or come up to a stop and selecting gears. The engagement (release) is about half way up the travel. It's weird the engage and disengage are at different points along the travel.

It takes a bit of learning but the clutch has allot of slip and is easy to launch. Not as easy as the 764 PP+gt2 disc but not bad at all. I find if you very quickly depress the clutch all the way and shift the action is much smoother than soft and slow pedal action.
The bad news is that this clutch causes my transmission to rattle. Sounds like marbles in my transmission. After to talking with G box this seams to be normal. The rattle was less when i put the rubber motor mounts back in and ran heavier gear oil.
The clutch holds the power with out any signs of issue but I haven't had any real demands of it yet. Still working thru the reassembly/test short list.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 210 Posts

WOW!!

Do you adopt grown men?

Fantastic outside the box thinking!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
tacker
Racer

Mike J

For bends
Stainless headers
3130 Fiechtner Dr S, Unit A
Fargo, ND 58103
Tel: (701) 356-9467
Fax: (701) 356-9466

For the perf tube use http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/

for muffler packing use http://shop.steelwooldirect.com.

You'll need 4 1/2" tubing, I had it lying around. I'm not sure where to get it. Check Stainless headers

I made custom flanges. If you noticed the mufflers are tack welded on one end and have indexing screws so they can be re pack if necessary. Additionally if one wanted to you could put a cat in the top muffler.

The biggest PITA is cutting the tubing. If done right the entire cross over section can built and mounted to the car for the final measurements to the turbos.

I didn't use the ball socket connections or v bands, but in hindsight i should have because the warp age from weld the turbo flanges caused the tips to move enough to **** me off. I also over heated the flanges because I got a little carried away when welding.

If you need any more info don't hesitate to ask. PM me
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Great, thanks for the info!

Yeah, totally understand the movement of SS when welding, its definitely an art form to keep the shape and get it all welded up - its always a challenge not to have the piece really pull out of shape - you get going on a nice bead, and next thing you know, you have moved along enough to pull it out of shape, but the bead sure looks great!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 PM
tacker
Racer

Here's a pic of the fill fitting for the aquamist. I need to find a german beer cap
Attached Images  

Last edited by tacker; 04-16-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tacker
Here's a pic of the fill fitting for the aquamist. I need to find a german beer cap
hilarious!

Quick Reply: More mods/turbos/inlet plumping/fuel system/exhaust/clutch