Sponsored by:

Not Trolling - But A Serious Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
but the market for people looking to spend over $60K on a 17 year old car is not that big, and pricing a car too high often means it's priced to sit.
:
Checked the prices of early 911's recently?

I agree with DM993tt.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=DM993tt;11125060]I think we going to be able to look back at this thread in 5 years and kick ourselves for not buying a fwe more of these things at these prices. (people are getting mid 40's for late 80's 911's.)[/QUOTE
I agree 100%. Buyers trying to save four or $5000 today in price may be costing themselves 20 or $25,000 in the next five years.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^^agree but it's hard to do when opo is purchasing in what appears to be bulk. ;-)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
malan1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the OPs quandary. Markets hot, feels car is too special and nice to drive.
Sell it! Make hay while the sun is shining.

What a RUSH....Owning a 993tt that is.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

to the OP: FWIW, after ~40 years of collecting/buying and selling, I've adapted the adage of 'Horses for Courses' as a way of deciding what to hold and what to sell. Cars are not static objects; they require some level of use and demand storage, insurance and maintenance. So the question to ask is: what is the 'use case' for the vehicle in your life? And it sounds like you basically answered this question. If there isn't a role for the car then it is just taking up space.

To the question of appreciation and invest-ability, I would say don't base your decision on that. Yes collector cars are on a tear, but so are many other hard assets as well as public equities.

PostScript: actually I would also take issue with your choice of GT3 as track car, on the same 'horses for courses' argument. There are a zillion beautifully prepared, logbooked, race ready racecars out there that are far safer, faster, easier to repair than a GT3, and if you pick right, will also appreciate. The air-cooled cup cars for example have seen a huge runup the last couple years. MY pick after you sell the tt: a 964 Cup car.

Last edited by BrandonH; 02-13-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: further reflection
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
to the OP: FWIW, after ~40 years of collecting/buying and selling, I've adapted the adage of 'Horses for Courses' as a way of deciding what to hold and what to sell. Cars are not static objects; they require some level of use and demand storage, insurance and maintenance. So the question to ask is: what is the 'use case' for the vehicle in your life? And it sounds like you basically answered this question. If there isn't a role for the car then it is just taking up space.

To the question of appreciation and invest-ability, I would say don't base your decision on that. Yes collector cars are on a tear, but so are many other hard assets as well as public equities.

PostScript: actually I would also take issue with your choice of GT3 as track car, on the same 'horses for courses' argument. There are a zillion beautifully prepared, logbooked, race ready racecars out there that are far safer, faster, easier to repair than a GT3, and if you pick right, will also appreciate. The air-cooled cup cars for example have seen a huge runup the last couple years. MY pick after you sell the tt: a 964 Cup car.
Thank you for your thoughtful post Brandon.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bradford
Checked the prices of early 911's recently?

I agree with DM993tt.
It's unreal out there with everyone's lofty dreams of Singers and Magnus Walkers out there. Has anyone seen the price of really ANY air cooled? OMG a rolling chassis is 5k.

It's a frenzy, is it bubble, hype? Don't think so these are finite numbers of air cooled 911's. I think only a market crash sends these to lower values. But then again some of us thought interest only low doc mortgages were a great idea at one time. The 993 turbos are the top of this air cooled food chain and/or frenzy. I for one am glad to own... and if I didn't I'd be looking for one. Sellers market for quality no rust examples. Higher numbers seem to be just a matter of time.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 02-18-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

All....to end the number of PM's I continue to get, I am pleased to confirm the car is now sold to a fellow Rennlister who I am sure will make himself known to you all if/ when he wants to. He did not have the best offer I received, but it was one from the guy who I felt was the most sincere enthusiast and given the choice, that was more important than an additional 5G's that came from two others. Given the apparent frenzy - and some sales I am seeing the past week, I really undersold, but quite frankly, doesn't matter......no hassle deal, certified drafts promptly delivered as promised, gentleman to speak with. The car remains in Canada as well which is cool.

The 18" Rufs are with me still so opinion to value on those? I am hearing $ 4 g's - how accurate is that....they are perfect and BTW have decent rubber on them...so if anyone is in the market - please PM me. BTW...don't know the offsets or otherwise - just that they fit a 993tt .
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM
kevin5889
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good for you Dennis, selling it to an enthusiast. I hope you will enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 555 Posts

FWIW, I sold those RUF wheels with tires to the previous owner for $3,500. They likely have less than 5,000 miles on them and the tires are 4 years old. They were mint when I sold them. They are NB off-sets and work fine on a TT with rear spacers.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fwiw, $4k for perfect 18" RUF wheels with rear spacers and Center Caps sounds right to me.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new car Dennis, you'll love it!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Spyder34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this was a opinion poll on the market value of your car (and not a for sale thread), and many thoughtful opinions were provided...what market value did you determine best fit your car-- the rest of us are curious to know?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 280 Posts

Dennis is a gent & I doubt that he would openly disclose the sales price. Suffice to say that the market spoke strongly again. He didn't have to wait several months & he could have got more than he did.... Hell, he didn't even have to write a FS post!

Congrats to the new owner!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
portiadog1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that the "what is my car worth?" stealth sales posts (intended or unintended) go against Rennlist rules, I don't think that posting the sales price would be ungentlemanly at all. In fact, I would argue it is the gentlemanly thing to do for forum members, in the name of transparency.

Quick Reply: Not Trolling - But A Serious Quandry