Sponsored by:

Moutain Road/Track Brake Pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moutain Road/Track Brake Pad

Track Junkies....what's the consensus on a good dual purpose pad. My car is used for spirited Mountain runs and very soon will be seeing "light" duty track days. My racing days are done for now but the track calls out to me nightly and once the GT2 Oil Cooler gets mounted I will no longer have an excuse to stay away.

With all that being said I am curious if there are recommendations on a light duty track pad that still can be decent on the street/mountain roads. I used to run Pagid Oranges on a former street legal track car and they were "ok" on the street but looking for something a bit less aggressive.

Anyone have experience with the Pagid S "sport" pad?

Thanks,
Chad

Last edited by Slate993tt; 12-31-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I did some Pagid Blues when I first got my previous 993Turbo. Too squeaky!
I never had a problem on the street with street pads. I would just change pads out and flush brake fluid before a track day.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

I've been using Pagid Black (rs14) in the rear and Pagid Yellow (rs29) upfront for the last few years racing. Works well. Have also done Pagid Grey (rs15) in the rear for more initial bite. Having said that I'm about to switch over to PFC 08 on all 4 corners. Everyone seems to like them as well or in some cases better than the Pagids. From what I've read the PFC tend to squeal very little so they might be a good balance for your street driving as well. I'm not familiar with a plain RS pad. I think the RS is a line of pads like the RS29 and RS14 etc etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Check this out on PFC. The 14 might be a good fit for you.

http://www.performancefriction.com/R...riptions_0.pdf
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Thanks Darren. I ran PF90's(now 97s) o my other track Porsche and really liked them as well.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

For light track duty, I'd just use fresh stock street pads and good break fluid (castrol srf)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by darrendeguire
Check this out on PFC. The 14 might be a good fit for you.

http://www.performancefriction.com/R...riptions_0.pdf
Can't seem to find much info or "reviews' on the forums of people using this pad. Also can't find it for our year cars.

Also, I meant Pagid S or their Sport pad not the standard RS line of Race pads.

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
For light track duty, I'd just use fresh stock street pads and good break fluid (castrol srf)
I thought of that but have noticed brake fade even on my spirited Mountain road drives....this is with newer pads and new fluid albeit not SRF.

I have years of track/racing experience(though been retired for past 5 years) POC driving instructor, POC Class Champion etc. So I am well aware of the downsides of running Track pads on the street(that's not my concern here). I'll be running lap times that I fear will make the poor stock pads cry in mercy. Though I will admit I've never tracked a 3300lb 993tt for 30minutes at a time repeatedly trying to haul it down at 140 plus to about 80(Willow Springs). Maybe the stock ones are up to the task. I just don't think I'm willing to drive all the way out there to be limited by pads that give up after a few laps. Willow is relatively easy on brakes but I'm just not used to as heavy a car as mine is and worry the stock pads won't be up for it.

So it has been a few years since I looked into Track pads and was just curious if there was newer pads offered by Pagid, PFC etc that had softer initial bite but still had decent fade characteristics. Sounds like the Pagid 29 is the way to go if you want to commit to a full track pad.

In the end I want the tires to be the threshold limiter and not brake fade.

Basal, I should have clarified that the term "Light" referred to limited total track days in the upcoming year but that doesn't mean Slow or easy track days. ;-)

I was really just curious if anyone has tried the Pagid S sport pad to give feedback of them against stock and against pads like the Pagid RS29 etc.

Last edited by Slate993tt; 12-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slate993tt
I have years of track/racing experience(though been retired for past 5 years) POC driving instructor, POC Class Champion etc.

Basal, I should have clarified that the term "Light" referred to limited total track days in the upcoming year but that doesn't mean Slow or easy track days. ;-)
Yikes, suspect you're much more experienced than most of us, me for sure!
When you say fade on your mountain drives, do you mean friction fade (i.e. brakes pedal is solid but doesn't stop) => need better pads. vs spongy pedal/fluid fade => need better fluid. I think it's usually the brake fluid/fluid is more important in my experience.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

also, you mention ''mountain" so I think fluid fade/boiling occurs at lower temperatures at higher elevations...
Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to get that perfect dual-use pad - and I do not think it exists without a bit of compromise.

If you are getting fading on a TT during "spirited" mountain driving, you are pushing it way harder than most people would (and should) on the street. Just my opinion of course...

On the track that is a different matter. Given your experience, you are used to really pushing the braking deep into the corners, and the stock pads are marginal for that. They will hold out for average drivers, but are challenged to take the heat of 30 minutes with an experienced driver.

If you are willing to run the pads without the dampeners, and tie off the brake wear sensors, you can swap pads really quickly - and so on track days spend that extra 20 minutes and swap to track ready pads and back again when on the street.

If you choose a non-stock pad, definitely report back, it would be interesting to see your observations...

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by Basal Skull

Yikes, suspect you're much more experienced than most of us, me for sure!
When you say fade on your mountain drives, do you mean friction fade (i.e. brakes pedal is solid but doesn't stop) => need better pads. vs spongy pedal/fluid fade => need better fluid. I think it's usually the brake fluid/fluid is more important in my experience.
Consistent brake feel. Longer stopping distance. I knew it was pads. I was trying to let people know my experience and was curious if others had the same that's all. Sorry for the brevity as I'm responding by phone. Thank you for your insight as I know that we really don't know each others backgrounds very well and we are all just trying to help each other and I am very great foul for everyone's input/suggestions.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Sounds like you are trying to get that perfect dual-use pad - and I do not think it exists without a bit of compromise.

If you are getting fading on a TT during "spirited" mountain driving, you are pushing it way harder than most people would (and should) on the street. Just my opinion of course...

On the track that is a different matter. Given your experience, you are used to really pushing the braking deep into the corners, and the stock pads are marginal for that. They will hold out for average drivers, but are challenged to take the heat of 30 minutes with an experienced driver.

If you are willing to run the pads without the dampeners, and tie off the brake wear sensors, you can swap pads really quickly - and so on track days spend that extra 20 minutes and swap to track ready pads and back again when on the street.

If you choose a non-stock pad, definitely report back, it would be interesting to see your observations...

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, you are probably right but it was more of a reference that it can happen not that I purposely achieve that each time.

Swapping is very easy and if I take the next step to real tires then I will be swapping pads during wheel swaps.

Happy New Year to all!

Quick Reply: Moutain Road/Track Brake Pad