Sponsored by:

best oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 06:21 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best oil cooler?

As you might remember I am building my father's car back up, and the oil cooler got it a bit. I am debating what route to go, whether turbo s oil cooler or the cargraphic one? Where is the best place to get then also? I noted that they run about 800 or 1500 respectively from some articles. I checked on the fvd one and it appears to be the s one but for 1100. Help! thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 06:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you going to do with the car?

If you are looking for a little extra cooling, your can have a second cooler welded to your first one. Cheapest solution, don't have first hand knowledge of the results. I know that Glen in Dallas has one, and there was a posting here or on the 993 board a couple of months ago about this option. Turbo S adds some oil volume with the lines and also the cooler. on the small side, but helps quite a bit for most driving situations (you can get the for under $1000 easy). The Cargraphic is great, as this is what I installed, but it is the most expensive. Yes it can carry away a lot of heat from the oil, but unless you do a lot of track time, it will probably be a waste.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:58 PM
SPR
Drifting

I am going to do an ecu mod to it as well as most probably full exhaust. I don't know about turbos or intercoolers as yet if it will go that far, but I doubt it. I do know from some reasearch that for the ecu mod an additional or upgraded oil cooler is recommended. thanks.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_engine.html#000222
Old 07-20-2003, 07:16 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff. A man of few URLs, but cuts right to the heart of the matter....
Old 07-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Sean:

Decisions about oil cooling are made after considering your evironmental conditions and what kinds of modification you might do to the engine.

Please keep 2 things in mind:

1) Horsepower = Heat. The more power you want, the more heat you must be able to dissipate. In some cases with turbocharged engines, increasing power without upgrading oil coolers and intercoolers can result in a net loss of power under hot conditions. The Motronic system will automatically reduce boost pressures and timing to "save" the engine.

2) Engine longevity. Durability & longevity of these air-cooled motors is dependent on how well oil temperatures, cylinder head, and charge-air temperatures are controlled. Maintaining stock type temps ensures a long and healthy life with minimal oil leak issues.

Remember, its less expensive to install and use effective coolers (oil & IC) than to rebuild the engine prematurely.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:07 PM
SPR
Drifting

so where is the best place to get the cargraphic one? Do both the cargraphic as well as the turbo s one operate in line with the one on the passenger front? Hey Jeff, that link is actually where I got my researched data from thanks. Are those prices pretty reflective of the current market? Where to buy? I would prefer an upgraded one that replaces the stock one if that is the best, but what do most people prefer? It would appear that from the damage to the 993tt that the oil cooler is ok but that rubber mount is busted, but it seems that it merely threads into the cooler so it should be ok? Thanks again all.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Thanks Kim, I updated my info.

SPR, check out www.carnewal.com for prices on the GT oil cooler and Turbo S oil cooler. You may see them around on ebay, but it's pretty rare. Most people don't "upgrade" oil coolers, so there aren't a lot on the secondary market. The prices that are on the link I sent you are pretty close, but the euro has fluxuated quite a bit recently. ( Carenwal is in Belgium )

Both the turbo s and GT cooler operate inline with the existing oil cooler.

Personally, my top choice was the piggyback one. The places that does it is in San Diego, but since I'm not going to San Diego anytime soon, I settled for the turbo S one. If I ever do a roadtrip to so cal, I'll probably get that one installed.

If your car is heavily modified, or you go to the track a lot, then go for the GT or piggyback one. If you just do light track and your car is lightly modified, then the turbo S will be fine. Of course, more cooling is better though.

And don't forget to install the oil cooler fan switch too! http://p-car.com/diy/fanswitch/
Old 07-22-2003, 02:43 PM
SPR
Drifting

cool thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: best oil cooler?