Sponsored by:

993 turbo race video from Road America

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:17 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 turbo race video from Road America

thought you guys might enjoy some 993 turbo video from Road America last year!

THE START: skip to the 7 minute mark to go past all the pit lane video.

THE FINISH:
Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice!

Two things I noticed:

1. No need to heat up the tires on the warm-up lap??? What tires were you on?
2. What's up with not keeping the pack together for the start? I would be on the front guys rear bumper WAY before crossing the start/finish line. It seems that everyone is keeping a huge gap between the cars...is that a PCA thing?

Thanks for posting the video! Aircooled turbos rock!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
Nice!

Two things I noticed:

1. No need to heat up the tires on the warm-up lap??? What tires were you on?
2. What's up with not keeping the pack together for the start? I would be on the front guys rear bumper WAY before crossing the start/finish line. It seems that everyone is keeping a huge gap between the cars...is that a PCA thing?

Thanks for posting the video! Aircooled turbos rock!

Re tires I'm running Hoosiers R6. Its a DOT street legal R compound slick with two simple grooves. "Stock" class, aka letter classes, are required to run a DOT tire. In a typical sprint race in J class I'm near the front of the pack. Usually top 6 or 8 depending on the race and how they class the race groups. In those cases yes I'm trying to heat up the tires as much as possible and get temps up as the racing is tight right away. However in this case being way in the back I was at maybe 70% speed in corners on lap 1 and I knew it wouldn't matter how hot the tires were to start with. By the end of lap 1 they were up to temp.

Same sort of thing on the gaps in the back. There isn't too much in the first half of the field and the stewards have been known to wave off the first lap if they don't see a reasonably tight pack. I don't know what was going on with this particular race. Could have been some rookies in the back who wanted to be more comfortable. For me I really didn't go into the race with much of a plan. I knew I was in back and thought it would be fun to try and get to the front but had no idea how it would go so I was just hanging out at the start. I didn't have anyone on the radio with me in the pits so I wasn't sure when it went green but I roughly knew that by the time I had hit the last corner the race had likely started.

Overall it was a good time. It was nice to race alongside that yellow 993RS as well for a few laps. I think he was in I class. One below me. Beautiful car that he unfortunately put in the wall on the outside of turn 3 during that race. I was behind him for a couple corners and I could see he was pushing the car a bit. Not sure what happened though.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing! very nice driving. Its amazing how close some of the guys came to your car. Way to go on passing those GT3's! What mods on your car? is it built?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
Thanks for sharing! very nice driving. Its amazing how close some of the guys came to your car. Way to go on passing those GT3's! What mods on your car? is it built?
Thx. For mods the engine is stock. Has to be for the stock classes. Gearbox is same but recently rebuilt. It has all the safety stuff like custom cage, race seat etc and I pulled all of the interior out and put in RS door panels and lightweight carpet kit. Has solid motor mounts, race clutch, full mono ***** front and back, 14 way Moton club sport shocks, 800lb springs (time to move them up to 1000lb in the rear) stock sway bars, GT2 splitter and tail, shock tower brace. All the usual basic race stuff. That was the last race before I had the motor completely rebuilt as it has some bad compression. Haven't raced it since the rebuild. Should be even quicker now!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:29 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

Very nice vid
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Darren,
I hear such good things about that track. You can see how it plays nicely to lots of torque and power. Looks like some of the lighter cars, caymans 80's cars with less weight can maintain lots of speed thru the twisty bits & track out. You are fast enough to pressure them and close the gap. Seems like if you can be set up for the uphill straight under the caterpillar banner nothing in fron of you stands a chance. THanks for showing how the stock 993tt stacks up at club racing. great stuff. I don't know how you can rebuild to bone stock tho. I'd be thinking rods, bolts, springs/retainers, cam etc while you're in there...
Thanks for posting
Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Darren,
I hear such good things about that track. You can see how it plays nicely to lots of torque and power. Looks like some of the lighter cars, caymans 80's cars with less weight can maintain lots of speed thru the twisty bits & track out. You are fast enough to pressure them and close the gap. Seems like if you can be set up for the uphill straight under the caterpillar banner nothing in fron of you stands a chance. THanks for showing how the stock 993tt stacks up at club racing. great stuff. I don't know how you can rebuild to bone stock tho. I'd be thinking rods, bolts, springs/retainers, cam etc while you're in there...
Thanks for posting
For sure its a HP track. Its rough on brakes though as I have to run at 3457lbs which is quite heavy even for big reds and rs29 pagids. You can actually see me miss a couple of corners due to brakes heating up. That and the rumbles rattle the pads from the caliper piston which forces me to do a little left foot brake check at every corner. My quickest there is 2.278 from a couple years ago. Rebuild on the motor might allow me to beat that?? I never really gave it much thought on the rebuild for going anything but stock. If I do mods then I'm in the GT classes and I would have to spend another 30k+ on others mods just to be competitive. J class is fun. Usually fastest of the letter classes. Mostly GT3's.

I'll have to upload some sebring footage from a couple years ago as well. Was a very frustrating weekend as I broke 3rd gear and had to either go home or race without 3rd gear the whole weekend. Needless to say I learned how to skip shift very quickly as I wanted to stay. Actually taught me a good bit about not relying on the HP and torque in our cars as I had to take many 3rd gear corners in 4th and if you arent in the boost in our cars they can be fat pigs on the track. Cost me about 3+ secs a lap.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Was it a real 993 RS that crashed into the wall? Or just a RS look?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT9111
Was it a real 993 RS that crashed into the wall? Or just a RS look?
I'm not sure. I don't know the driver. Had never seen him before. Usually a normally aspirated 993 runs in G class and he was I class which is what an RS would run in. It had the badging as well. Seems it was real and quite rare.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a 993TT that I race. Good to see your video and comments. You have any trouble with brake cooling on the front?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surathdp
I have a 993TT that I race. Good to see your video and comments. You have any trouble with brake cooling on the front?
If you PCA club race then you are quite heavy like me. It's very tough on brake heat if you are really pushing the car. A few things I've found that work are...Always try to keep somewhat new pads in front. The more pad left the better it seems to dissipate the heat. I like pagid yellow rs29 in front and pagid blacks in back. Gets a nice strong bite in the back for a little better balance. Lastly I ran ducting through the fog lamps and through the frame rails and have them end directly mounted next to the rotor. That helps a lot. Also good to cycle your brake accumulator on occasion and bleed the brakes often and I only run castrol srf brake fluid. It's expensive but worth it from my point of view. Ok I guess that was more than a few things but it's the single biggest issue on or cars when racing stock brakes.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks very much
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Welcome. What races you get to? It would be fun to have two 993 t's on the track racing at the same time. I noticed there was a 993t registered for Road America this year but wasn't sure if he made it there or not. I couldnt go due to travel and budgets after a motor rebuild!

Quick Reply: 993 turbo race video from Road America