Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common is an UTTERLY stuck small oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How common is an UTTERLY stuck small oil filter?

After quite a lot of fiddling and completely shredding the casing, I finally got the remains off using a two foot pry bar on a pair of needle nose plyers jammed into the holes in the top cap. That was the last stop before cutting tools, so I'm really glad it worked!

Is this common enough that I should make a tool for the future? With the amount of torque that I had to apply, there is absolutely no way that anything else would have worked. (I tried all the normal oil filters tools first.)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to smack the s#%t out of whoever put that on. Once the rubber is seated, maybe 3/4's of a turn. Check it and if it's seeping once warmed up, try some more in 1/4 turn increments.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
You need to smack the s#%t out of whoever put that on. Once the rubber is seated, maybe 3/4's of a turn. Check it and if it's seeping once warmed up, try some more in 1/4 turn increments.
I'm just glad the engine was out. If it had still been in the car, I'd have had to weld a tool together.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Probably best to just hand tighten the filter off of the case side on the car pretty difficult to
get much of anything up in those tight confines.
On another note is your car silver and parked off the NW Kansas av circle often ?
If so I live around the corner used to park my trailer at that intersection ...if not sorry for
the off topic...Bert
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing you didn't get smoke b/c of the valve that's in the lil one. UBER important to hand tighten that one to 3/4 after contact. I just do it to my strength and I never have a problem (I'm not that strong though).

................And on a related topic......anybody realize how immune to unorthodox procedures/problems we've become? Ya know whilst I was changing the oil I had a neighbor stop by to borrow something and he saw my rear wheel off and asked what i was doing to the brakes. Do we have any idea how ridiculous we must look to others?
......" Changing the oil???......yup, okay well gotta take the wheel off"

I changed my oil in my Jeep wrangler in 15 min, the first time, no lift. jeez.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 08-26-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

i have done lots of oil changes, and the tightness of the filter varies, but it's rare that you need to tear apart the filter to get it off. I have had to use a breaker bar but in one case the filter finally spinned off. I have had to do what you did on an american car though, but not on a 911 (yet).

I put them on hand tight + 1/2 turn, no more, especially on turbos. In 12 years of working on 993's have no had a leak yet.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

I've seen them so tight that it's a real struggle to get them off, also seen them loosen up in track use, all in all the former is the better problem to have than the latter
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its quite common - which is great when you have 2 filters. I took a filter wrench drilled a hole in the side and put a screw through it puncturing the filter, it was messy but a surefire way to keep the wrench from slipping.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I once had to hammer a large 18" screwdriver thru the filter, then turn it like a big handle. Talk about a barbaric scene.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I once had to hammer a large 18" screwdriver thru the filter, then turn it like a big handle. Talk about a barbaric scene.
Tried that. The screwdriver turned, but the filter didn't!

Quick Reply: How common is an UTTERLY stuck small oil filter?