Help in saving my TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Seriously? Sorry, but no repair will be as "as new" and if the car has salvage title, it should remain that way since that is what it is, regardless of the repair. That is so future owners of the car know exactly that they are getting period.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Mike
That's the way I thought "salvage" title worked, too, until a couple of years ago, I followed a project, involving Porsche and a factory warrantied car, where it became a little more detailed. The "salvage" means that the car has fallen out of normal road registered condition. This is probably an insurance event but could just be something like a theft recovery and the title of the vehicle must capture that event so that the next title event necessarily deals with that salvage status. It's not a permanent record. In a better world, perhaps we should have some sort of continuous record, but that simply doesn't exist and from state to state, records become broken and discontinuous and completely unreliable. Services like carfax make this abundantly clear (in their fine print.) So that's why I prefix it by saying "full disclosure" and I'm thinking from the first person, keeping the car for my purposes, not for "flipping" a wreck on eBay and trying to be a scumbag dealer/broker/flipper offloading "cut and shut" frankenmobiles. If the car can be repaired by a factory authorized shop and it meets their criteria, it really does return to what I would pay for as equivalent to any unmodified car, but this will never be a "no stories" car. That's easy $10K in my book. But it can be honestly and with full disclosure, sold "as good as new" (in my book.) If it's a light shunt, no airbags, no transferred damage, the strut is straight and the chassis is not tweaked, then it can be Steve Austin. if that strut is wrinkled, the suspension is pretzeled, then it becomes a good GT2 project. If the A pillar is skew (doesn't look like it from these few pics) then it's a basket case and maybe a good track car or rally car with a full cage to the struts and live to fight another day. Just from those pics, I'd say it's a pretty decent knock, but even the headlight assembly looks to be intact, so I'm ever the optimist, but often proven wrong. : )
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexVan: I googled your front turbo bumper and it comes back as close to $1400 !
Where do you see/find a 993 TT front bumper (factory) Euro or USA for under $1200 ?
Patrick

PS: My gf laughs at me when I only drive my 993TT to Mussers to read the paper/breakfast; 30mph trek. After this poor chap's picture I am convinced these cars are too rare for normal DD miles (it would be like rolling the dice).
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

PS: My gf laughs at me when I only drive my 993TT to Mussers to read the paper/breakfast; 30mph trek. After this poor chap's picture I am convinced these cars are too rare for normal DD miles (it would be like rolling the dice).

yikes... C4S993 ain't that the truth!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
LexVan: I googled your front turbo bumper and it comes back as close to $1400 !
Where do you see/find a 993 TT front bumper (factory) Euro or USA for under $1200 ?
Patrick
Patrick, call Sunset Imports- 503-641-8600. Ask for Phil Coy. Great guy.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

turn the page - start a new chapter .... thank goodness you're ok
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM
carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry about your car...glad you are ok
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to see about that car, but glad your okay and were able to walk away. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 PM
sonny1
Banned

Let it go, buy another, and live life!!cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
sorry to hear of your accident.
let them write it off and if you choose buy it back and fix it up with a used front clip.
the resale value drops considerably after a major accident like that.
just settle with insurance and replace it. glad you are ok. car can be replaced, you cannot.
Agree come to agreement on price and buy back, purchase it yourself and put it back on the road.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wrecked a 930 a while back - and you're right these cars are tough. I broke a telephone pole with my drivers door after hitting some ice and walked with a bruise on my thigh. It had a heavily massaged motor, IC, bigger turbo, and new top end. The interior was in great shape etc. I bought it from insurance for 6g. Took the motor and put it in the replacement 930 that insurance paid for, and sold the motor from the new car for 6500. I was already 500 in the black. I wound up parting it out over ebay, rennlist, pelican, and the hershey swap meet for an additional 15g.

Its a hassle and patience is important when selling car parts, but eventually you will find someone looking for parts from your porsche. But if you have the bandwidth to do it, it can be fruitful - as others have said, the number you pay for salvage for these things is far less than the sum of the parts. I imagine the motor and interior can bring about 30. Oil lines, hoses window glass, driver door. rear subframe, wheels, guages, rear deck, rear quarters, rear lights/reflector, sunroof parts - all gravy!... the stuff adds up quickly and there is a market for it.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
billswim
Rennlist Member

Don't let emotion could your judgement. Negotiate with the insurance I for as big a payout as possible, shop for a pristine replacement. Once car is hit that hard it will likely never be 100% again.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

+1 on the GT2 track ***** idea.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I wrecked a 930 a while back - and you're right these cars are tough. I broke a telephone pole with my drivers door after hitting some ice and walked with a bruise on my thigh. It had a heavily massaged motor, IC, bigger turbo, and new top end. The interior was in great shape etc. I bought it from insurance for 6g. Took the motor and put it in the replacement 930 that insurance paid for, and sold the motor from the new car for 6500. I was already 500 in the black. I wound up parting it out over ebay, rennlist, pelican, and the hershey swap meet for an additional 15g.

Its a hassle and patience is important when selling car parts, but eventually you will find someone looking for parts from your porsche. But if you have the bandwidth to do it, it can be fruitful - as others have said, the number you pay for salvage for these things is far less than the sum of the parts. I imagine the motor and interior can bring about 30. Oil lines, hoses window glass, driver door. rear subframe, wheels, guages, rear deck, rear quarters, rear lights/reflector, sunroof parts - all gravy!... the stuff adds up quickly and there is a market for it.
That is great if you walked from a driver side dent like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
C4S993
Pro

Anyone buy the wreck yet ?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Nooch
Racer

Default Update

Sorry for not keeping up with the posts, but have been travelling WAY too much. Thanks for all the input. I see that the majority would tend to part ways with the car....in one way or the other.
The reality, in my situation, is that at 65, I'm not going to be wheeling and dealing cars that much. I've been a "buy and hold guy" most of my life ( and I've paid for it in the stock market ).
I buy a dream car ( after much searching and pondering ) because I love it, and the feeling gets stronger during ownership. The three that I have will keep me going for a while!
Getting verbose here...apologise. Bottom line is I'm getting the car fixed. Too much hassle for me with life being what it is to try and buy the car and fix it over the long run. ( No way would I let her be salvaged and parted out ).
I'll keep the forum updated with results and pics when all is done.
Have already spoken to an appraiser about pursuing the "at fault " driver for diminished value......that should be an interesting exercise, especially here in Ontario, Canada.

Cheers, Adriano

Quick Reply: Help in saving my TT