Sponsored by:

Rear Engine Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Engine Wire Harness

I posted a thread about a month ago stating my dash board warning lights were not shutting off when I turned the car off. The problem seemed to go away but then came back last week.

Well, I found out yesterday what was causing the problem and I'm pissed.

Rob at Dutch Treat here in Los Angeles (great guy) thought it might be the alternator. When he went to replace the unit he found that the coating around the wires in the harness are disintegrating He called the local P dealership and ran my Vin #. Turns out there was a recall for certain 993tt's and my car showed the recall had been done. P dealer said "sorry, nothing we can do." Rob said no way had it been done and called his friend in parts. Part number matched the units that were recalled so we know the unit wasn't replaced.

We asked when and who did the recall but P said they couldn't tell in their computer but only showed it had been done. I can't believe they can say with certaintly that the recall has been done but don't know who did it and when. I called P customer service and set up a case file but no real answers.

Rob made a few more calls to some of his P friends and found out a P dealer in MO said they did it in 2007 and they didn't. Isn't that fraud!!!

My car is getting on a flat bed Monday morning to Pacific Porsche. Rob is going to show them the wire harness and that fact the past dealer never did the work.

I hope Porsche stands by the service recall and doesn't charge me for an item another dealer said they replaced.

Does anyone know if the engine needs to be dropped to complete the job?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about this obvious fraud. No the engine doesn't have to come out, but I believe the job is made easier by lowering the engine a few inches. This may be a good time to address a few other things... diverter valves, insulation blanket, plug wires, etc.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeff I am sorry to hear of your mess. See if the place you bought it from can help get PCNA to honor the issue in good faith. Although their system may show the TSB was addressed, if the harness is obviously the original they might help. Keep at it. It's easy for someone to get off the phone without actually doing anything. Write some letters if you have to. Have the dealer that claims to have done the work send documentation to PCNA to prove it. Good luck
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The harness is only about $100 and something like 5 hours of shop time. You might want to weigh the time/cost of fighting versus the down time and the aggro.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:09 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a similar electrical issue on one of my past TTs and the local dealer was very up front
about standing by the factory recall even though it was some 15 years later!
When I got my second TT they were the same took care of it no argument ,even though
their essentially a franchise of the manufacturer they don't always follow the factory
Recommendation, I'm reasonably sure once your local determines it in fact has not been
completed they will honor it.
I would however try not to start off from a place of extreme disagreement just don't get in a situation where their digging in on a position that never helps of course....Bert

Oh and it doesn't hurt if you're at least somewhat familiar with someone at the dealer
Of course ,salesman,service writer,parts manager owner...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:36 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kill em with kindness
Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice. I will follow Richard's advice and "kill em with kindness." I bought my DD there and have had it serviced by them. They also did the PPI for me when I bought the car.

I was told if the harness is not covered by the recall, the parts are $1,700 and need to be imported from Germany and we would have to add 20% to fast track the order.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They need to try a bit harder to find the right part. Pretty sure it's:
Part Number 00004320462
Part Name HARNESS REPAIR KIT
MSRP $113.68

See https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...harness+recall
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

I was informed that it is a replacement harness which of course retail is 1K + but they get as a
factory warranty part at approx. $600 ...
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 AM
owen meany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my harness and my shop was able to pick up a "warranty harness" for cheap.
It sounds like they should cover it though.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh memories!!!

I had similar problem. Got some water in my engine compartment after washing my car. put it into the garage and half hour later discovered gasoline pouring out of my exhaust of all places! Turns out there was a short due to delaminated wires and my fuel injection was energized and pumping fuel into the cylinders and out the exhaust valves. I experienced "hydralock", engine would not turn. Had to immediately disconnect battery, push car outside in safe place (incase it caught fire) and aired out the choking in fumes in the garage (thank god my water heater was located in attic away from it all).

Anyway, if you buy the harness thru Porsche it will be very expensive. You need to use the correct "kit" which carries its own part number. I don't recall what else was in the Kit but its the entire harness and something else. I think I paid something around 100 bucks, but you need to find part number for the kit. I replaced the harness myself in same garage.

good luck
Jaime

Quick Reply: Rear Engine Wire Harness