New to Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Rennlist

Hello all!

This is my very first post, and I'm making it in the 993 Turbo Forum because I hope it not only leads me towards my first Porsche, but ultimately my "dream" Porsche...the 993TT.

With that being said, I have loved Porsches every since I can remember and can see myself talked into a numb of different models (specifically a 930 or 997 with prices dropping).

I appreciate there is a significant price differential which doesn't concern me as my biggest concern is protecting the downside on value (which will make it hard for me to go with a 997).

Couple of quick questions for the experienced:

1) I plan to drive her 4K to 6K miles per year, and can envision long-term ownership. I don't want to find one that is being sold for collection, rather for enjoyment. Is there a mileage range where the values fall to reasonable range in each model? I've seen such disparity in ask prices in particular for the 993 (vs 930).

2) As a follow up to the above, if a car is maintained "properly," should I be afraid if a car has "too many" miles and what is that for these older cars?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

For some odd reason, I wasn't able to finish my prior post...

Last question is whether anyone has purchased from Top Gear Porsche as they "specialize in air cooled Porsches." They seem to have plenty of very clean cars for sale and most have looked reasonably priced.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

Top Gear has a great name. Actually the host of the tv show Top Gear doesn't like any rear engine Porsches-so I do like that name for a Porsche dealer.... fond of the likely unintentional implied sarcastic irony.

They have the best photographer and detailer around. I believe they use Protosport too who are excellent.

How they get all these 993's IDK? But they are usually higher mileage ones. That said, a well maintained 70-90k (and beyond) 993TT is every bit as drivable as a 30k. But then again 90k is usually getting to re-build time (usually) so some of the money you save may go to that. Records, records, records most important...And if Top Gear...a PPI from nearby proto would just be wise...ask for John.

Welcome again

Joe
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

Definitely had a "light bulb" moment after reading your first paragraph twice. Very funny.

As for the pictures....I'm sure the investment has sold more than a few cars for them. Thanks for the reference to Proto, will store that nugget away until I truly find a car to chase. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

1. 60K miles seems to be the range where prices drop to more reasonable levels, again really depends on your definition of reasonable too.

2. I wouldn't be afraid too many miles, given your annual mileage is quite low eventually you'll average it down. Be more concern about the overall maintenance, example a low mileage car with say only oil changes may cost more $ vs one regularly driven and up to date annually with servicing. Either way you need a good PPI from a shop that knows these cars, dealers not highly recommended.

3. If you search here + 993 forum, Top Gear seems to get mixed reviews.

Good luck with the search!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

Knight - Your avatar is about the picture perfect vision I have for my future 993!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

I went the low mileage route because I wanted a "new" car. Only do a few thousand miles a year so mine'll always be a relatively low mile example. I don't plan on selling so I only want to deal with my wear & tear. The main replacement items can happen pretty much any time so I think this is a mute point. Best of luck in your search. They're awsome cars and certainly my favourite Porsche.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

Ronnie and Knight (or anyone for that matter) - since you both referenced your mileage when you were purchasing, can either of you comment on what you feel the trading range is for "low" mileage vs "high" mileage?

Based on my research so far it seems the ask prices are north of $90K for anything with less than 20K miles? Knight referenced the pricing dropping north of 60,000 miles...Is there a range for cars with 20K to 60K miles on them? What does this drop to with more than 60K miles?

I definitely appreciate differences in quality and level of maintenance needed, etc., and that all goes into it, but I'm just curious what the broad range is (if its even defineable).

My thoughts originally were to spend $65K for a 1996 or a 1997...is this totally off base? I don't care about the mileage as long as the car was loved and the proper maintenance has been completed, etc...

PS - If it was in the budget this particular car would be high on the list: http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...itemid=1526794
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

$65k should buy you a 50,000 mile car in good condition with a proper PPI.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

I know there are 1996 vs 1997 debates...does the $65K for a 50k mile example assume a '96?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure how much more 97's are worth if any.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyRS
I know there are 1996 vs 1997 debates...does the $65K for a 50k mile example assume a '96?
Monty-

Given the same mileage and condition the '97 will typically be valued about $2-3 thousand higher than the '96 given the facts;

-only 1/2 as many '97 's made as '96's

-last year of the air-cooled turbo

-The 1997's had the following differences from the 1996s:

1 - Stronger transmission input shafts (a known weakness due to the combination of immense power and AWD).
2 - An ECU that was able to be flashed and modified (the 1996 was not modifiable).
3 - With the addition of a Porsche child seat, the passenger airbag was cutoff.
4 - Motion sensors for the alarm that were integrated into the map light above the rear view mirror
5 - Standard wheel center caps that said "turbo" (the 1996 version had Porsche crests).

Hope this helps
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
MontyRS
Track Day

This is all very helpful! Thank you
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 ecu is swapped out from Protosport that way kept my old one for originality too if need be. Ecu Made a huge difference Huge. Ecu can be tuned just a lil more PITA.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Hopefully this will give you a better idea, look at this recent sale, sold immediately. Therefore well sorted and optioned, 50K miles, at $64K asking is a very good price and sold immediately.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66189

80K miles is probably another major junction point, that would bring the value down to the low-mid $50K range.

Correct under 25K miles you should be in the $85K plus range. Unfortunately there is no magic formula and how many miles = change in price. As well, we don't know actual selling prices, strictly speculation from asking prices.

$65K will get you into a car, I would say in the 50-60K miles range. If you want a rare color, you'll easily add a premium too. I wouldn't be to concern about 96 vs 97, the market is limited in general you buy the best you can afford.

Quick Reply: New to Rennlist