Sponsored by:

Ruf bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf bumpers

I'm a new member and just found my 96tt. I'm picking it up Friday!! The car past her PPI with flying colors. The car comes with front and back Ruf bumpers. The onwer still has the originals. He said they will bolt back on without any trouble. I like them but will want to change back to the originals soon. The car also has rocker panels that I want to take off. Does anyone think I might have a problem bringing the car back to stock?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing the Ruf bumpers with stock should be no major problem. There is quite a large demand for the Ruf bumpers, so they can be very easily sold. I'm not sure about the rocker panels... any pictures?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Congrats on your new car. Please post pics when you can.

Originally Posted by jcoles
The car also has rocker panels that I want to take off.
Rocker panels? You mean the stock ones or something else?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Not yet. It's slate grey/black tt with 30k miles. The wheels are currently black multi spoke design that I want to change to Ruf's or Champions RS184's. I've been looking for months and finally found one that worked. The car has a Ruf steering wheel that I love. Engine is and suspension is stock.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Thank you. I've been reading and learning so much from all of your posts. The AC and passenger seat is getting fixed now. I've been told it will be ready Friday. This will be my first 993. I've owned a 68 912, 83 SC, 01 Carrera, 02 turbo and a 08 turbo. The car seems like it's going to be very special.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Brian, I don't think the rocker panels are stock. I will post a pic soon and maybe you can tell me who makes them.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
jcoles
Instructor

I finally figured how to add a picture to my profile. Yeah.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aaaaahhhhh my worthless two cents is:

1. you wanna remove the ruf bumpers (and are they real or fiberglass knock-offs?) but then put on Ruf wheels? I don't get that. Begs the obvious question just leave Ruf bumpers on to match wheels.

Ha, the look you want is exactly what I wear right now but i think if i had the choice i would choose the ruf bumpers to match.

2. name your price BTW for the bumpers

3. Ruf wheels are heavy, rugged but heavy and the real ones require large spacers which can be a bitch to balance at the tire places; common tire technicians will not like you. Ruf Porsches have some 90 addl hp to more than compensate for the weight but most will agree (prob not Steve-ha!) 19" Ruf wheels are not really a performance net gain; they look pretty though. Not to mention limited selection of tires on a relative basis to the twists. Twists are as easy as a Honda Accord for tire selection.

4. ya know, according to pic your car looks great as is. I wouldn't change a thing but always reserve to keep the stock stuff in your back pocket. My car has a pile of things done to but could go back to bone stock in an afternoon.

4b. black wheels are in Vogue these days. They are all the rage. BUT i've never seen black wheels on a 993TT that seemed "right" w/o looking boy-racer Darth Vader-ish. But those black wheels with that body color do look great as is......my humble aesthetic opinion.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 04-22-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that your rocker panels are OEM Turbo S - or Aerokit II. I'd leave them. Removing them would likely take bodywork/paint.

Just get the Turbo R engine conversion and you are all set! I like my RUF 18" wheels with RUF spacers. Never heard of balancing issues - I certainly have not had any.

Beautiful car - enjoy!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
owen meany
Instructor

I would like to be first in line for the front bumper if/when you put them up for sale. I'm only looking for the front. Curious if they are original RUF or other. Big difference in price.
Thanks for considering.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

You shouldn't have any problem returning the car to stock. If you are doing the work and have never done it before, just take your time and it should come together pretty easy. You should check to see if your bumpers are Ruf originals or aftermarket. The easiest way to tell if they are Ruf original bumpers is that they will have a black layer of (i think) Kevlar on the inside of the bumper. Ruf puts that over the fiberglass and the aftermarket bumpers will just have fiberglass. Also, most Ruf bumpers have ID tags, see photo.

As far as the rocker panels, see if you can just unfasten them.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I'll take front and rear. Vultures aren't we?

And BTW 18" Ruf's are worlds different from 19"s. Much easier to work with especially in available tire sizes and will ride like oem. Tex, those are 18"s on yours? They look like the 19"s; must be riding lower for that big effect?....pretty.

Steve, what are those worth if they are real (Kevlar inside and badges)? And what if not?

Thanks

Joe

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 04-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Don't the exhaust tips need to be longer for a RUF rear bumper?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
I'll take front and rear. Vultures aren't we?

And BTW 18" Ruf's are worlds different from 19"s. Much easier to work with especially in available tire sizes and will ride like oem. Tex, those are 18"s on yours? They look like the 19"s; must be riding lower for that big effect?....pretty.

Steve, what are those worth if they are real (Kevlar inside and badges)? And what if not?

Thanks

Joe
Yes 18s. Pss10 at RS + a little.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm

3. Ruf wheels are heavy, rugged but heavy and the real ones require large spacers which can be a bitch to balance at the tire places; common tire technicians will not like you. Ruf Porsches have some 90 addl hp to more than compensate for the weight but most will agree (prob not Steve-ha!) 19" Ruf wheels are not really a performance net gain; they look pretty though. Not to mention limited selection of tires on a relative basis to the twists. Twists are as easy as a Honda Accord for tire selection.
If you get proper hub-centric spacers you will not have any balancing issues at all - you must be talking about cheaper spacers?

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Ruf bumpers