Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with this car? Never sells?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Bullmrkt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone familiar with this car? Never sells?

Hello

As some of you may have already noticed, I've been lurking here for a 993TT! It will be my first P-Car, really excited. Anyway, I'm looking at several cars now, and a friend pointed out this car on ebay, which I thought I've seen before at least once in the past couple of years. Has it never sold in that time, or has it been up for sale multiple times? I have a bad feeling and I thought someone here might know more.

http://goo.gl/G7r5O (on ebay, URL shortened with goo.gl)

Thanks

Ian
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

That eBay car has 7000 miles and is being sold for ~$100,000. A similar car with ~50,000 miles will sell for ~$65,000. Are you planning on driving this car much? Sorry, I don't know about this car.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Bullmrkt
Intermediate

I plan to resist as much as possible, and drive it ~500 miles a year or so. I know that will be difficult, but I need to keep this car as an investment asset that I can have a little fun with on sunny days, Porsche events etc.

Ian
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought mine with 3000 mi. 7 years ago, it now has 40,000+ It would be sad not to drive it !
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullmrkt
I plan to resist as much as possible, and drive it ~500 miles a year or so. I know that will be difficult, but I need to keep this car as an investment asset that I can have a little fun with on sunny days, Porsche events etc.

Ian
Good luck with dat!

With regards to the latter one, you've got to be really-really good to do with cars. Maybe the Turbo S will yield you better results, but more up-front spend.

Or, just buy Apple as she nears $400.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's like not schtupping a super-model girlfriend so she'll be fresh for the next guy.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullmrkt

Ian
probably better to buy a 356, long hood 911 or american muscle if investment asset is your primary goal.
993 Turbos won't appreciate as fast as the above might
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

a car for an investment, thats comical
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Bullmrkt
Intermediate

It's a car I've always wanted, and the prices are still reasonable. I'd be surprised if they ever go much below where they are now on average, if at all. Stuttgart isn't pumping out 993TT's anymore after all! I'm definitely going to drive it, don't worry, but it's a 4th car so moderation shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, big update, I've finalized a price on this 12,364 mile beauty at Rizza Porsche in Chicago. http://porsche.rizzacars.com/vehicle...pe/582105.html

So far, pretty good. I asked the dealer to send me and include a leak down & compression test. They responded saying they had already done one, but would do another if they couldn't find the results. Then I call and they say they can't find the results, and they don't want to do a test because it will take 13-14 hours and $2000 (high I know). The car is there on consignment, so they aren't willing to throw anything in.

Then I checked the carfax, and despite the low miles this car has been around the block a few times. A little concerning, but the previous owner (on this board), and the dealer swear up and down that it is 100% mechanically and clean as a whistle. The photos support this. Click here to see the carfax I just ran: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4za...it?usp=sharing

Is anyone here more familiar with this car? I'm in Dayton, OH, so I'm having a good friend and fellow car nut deal with things there for me. Unfortunately this dealership is not very close to any other mechanic there I'm familiar with. Assuming everything is okay, I'll be heading up this weekend to pick it up.

Hopefully all is well, I can't wait to join the club!

Ian
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Bullmrkt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChristianR
a car for an investment, thats comical
Based on what? I have a handful of friends who have had better returns on their car collection than any other asset class. It takes a bit of effort, but what type of investing doesn't?

I was a financial analyst for a hedge fund in a previous life, and my boss did better on his cars than he did on his personal portfolio. A fact I was rather surprised he shared with me! Jokes aside, he's done well with equities as well, beating the SP500 over the last 10 years by 300 basis points. But, he recently sold a Ferrari Dino for $300k that he bought 9 years ago for $80k. That's huge.

I'm not expecting to triple my money with this car, but if I can pick up 10-50% over the next 5-10 years while having fun with the car, whats not to like? It's just part of my overall strategy.

Now...investment advice aside...what's everyone think of this car? This is a 993TT forum after all, right?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

a porsche 993tt isnt a dino. cars can be investments if they are low #'rd and super rare. 993tts, 959 or a 911 thats 40 years old and has zero miles on it. i doubt very seriously you will ever see a 993tt grow in value of any substance over what one pays unless you bought it with 150 miles on it and never drove it. 10k miles is miles and doesnt guarantee its any better than a car that has 60k on it

but anyway, hope u get it and actually enjoy it, later
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"a porsche 993tt isnt a dino"

^^^^ and thank God for that. I still cannot understand how the outcast Ferrari is now worth money. I remember when no one wanted one and laughed at them. What next DeLoreans going for 200K+

At this point the 993tt seems like a solid Automotive investment...i.e. it should hold its value at this point. For some reason in the past 24 months they have jumped in price and allure apparently as the market is reflecting this. However, I'm still not convinced this growth will stay this agressive but wouldn't hate if it does.

Good luck in your search and enjoy whatever it is you end up buying!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Bullmrkt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slate993tt
"a porsche 993tt isnt a dino"

^^^^ and thank God for that. I still cannot understand how the outcast Ferrari is now worth money. I remember when no one wanted one and laughed at them. What next DeLoreans going for 200K+

At this point the 993tt seems like a solid Automotive investment...i.e. it should hold its value at this point. For some reason in the past 24 months they have jumped in price and allure apparently as the market is reflecting this. However, I'm still not convinced this growth will stay this agressive but wouldn't hate if it does.

Good luck in your search and enjoy whatever it is you end up buying!
Thanks Slate, appreciate it. Any thoughts on the car im closing in on? (Couple posts up)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

That Turbo at Rizza was discussed here a couple months ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

hey guys, i totally agree that a 993tt is a decent investment, when i say that i believe they are going to hold there value but doubt you are going to see them sky rocket unless you are talking about a car with 1k miles or something crazy like that.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with this car? Never sells?