Sponsored by:

Porsche Motorsports purchases Andial

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche Motorsports purchases Andial

Anyone in the know have any additional details?

http://press.porsche.com/motorsport/...lease.php?id=3

Santa Ana, Calif. – February 14 – With the last active owner Dieter Inzenhofer retiring later this month, the legendary ANDIAL name will stay in the Porsche family as Porsche Motorsports North America, Inc. (PMNA) announced it has purchased the brand for future use.

ANDIAL is an anagram made from the names of the founding members – the late Arnold Wagner AN; Dieter Inzenhofer DI; and former PMNA president and current consultant Alwin Springer AL. From the company's formation in 1975, it evolved into one of America's most successful and respected independent authorities on Porsche performance tuning.

“We have always considered ANDIAL a member of the Porsche family, and now we are pleased to
have the name become an official part of Porsche Motorsport. Arnold, Dieter and Alwin played a key role in growing the prominence of Porsche racing in North America, and their reputation was well-known among both racers and Porsche street car owners well beyond North America,” said Jens Walther, president of Porsche Motorsports North America, Inc.

Plans on how the company will use the ANDIAL name have yet to be formulated.

Inzenhofer, who, along with Wagner met Springer at Vasek Polak’s Porsche dealership in Manhattan Beach, Calif., in the late 1960s, is pleased that his company will now be part of Porsche Motorsport North America.

“My whole career and professional reputation has been built on ANDIAL’s success with Porsche performance and tuning, and I couldn’t ask for a better outcome of my decision to retire than have Porsche Motorsport buy our name,” said Inzenhofer.
Some of ANDIAL's major Porsche sports-car-racing accomplishments included:

-- The 24 Hours of Daytona saw ANDIAL-prepared Porsches in the winner's circle from 1983-1987 and again in 1989. In the 1987 race, the first- through fifth-place finishers were in ANDIAL-powered cars.

-- Winning the IMSA Supercar Series championship in 1992.

-- IMSA-GT Championships in 1983, 1985, 1986 and 1987; North American GT-1 Endurance Cup Championship in 1994 and GTS-2 in 1996.

-- Winning the SCCA World Challenge championship in 1994.

-- Class wins at Pikes Peak in 1994, 1996, 1997 and 1998.

The impressive list of drivers that campaigned ANDIAL-powered Porsches include Al Holbert, Mario and Michael Andretti, Al Unser, Sr. and Jr., A.J Foyt, Derek Bell, Rolf Stommelen, Johnny Rutherford, Danny Ongais, The Whittington brothers, Bob Wollek, Harald Grohs, Hurley Haywood, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Jim Busby, Pete Halsmer and Jeff Zwart.

Along with ANDIAL's racing ventures, the company developed street-tuned performance applications. In 2004, with their ex-partner Springer officially retired from PMNA, Inzenhofer and Wagner reduced their workload but did not retire entirely.
Instead, they moved from Santa Ana, Calif., to a smaller location in Fountain Valley and gave up the daily Porsche service business, focusing on their specialties, including engine projects, maintaining prior special engines and restoring race or other significant cars, and they continued to supply parts that customers had come to rely on during the preceding three decades.

# # #

A high resolution photo of the three ANDIAL principals, plus photos of a couple of race cars that ANDIAL helped build and maintain are available for download at the following link:

http://press.porsche.com/media/galle...+Announcement/

# # #
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

Porsche stands by its own

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 270 Posts

That's awesome.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes .. it's something many don't know .. how Andial started and it's close relationship with Porsche Motorsport and Porsche. I would love to own an Andial modified Turbo ... ;-)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andial was the factory racing effort for many years though the early 90's when Alvin left to set up PMNA.
Their reputation in Germany is legendary which was shown when Porsche took out a full page obituary in Pano magazine when Arnold Wagner passed away last year.
Their business model was a work of genius and their cars and workmanship was the best. As a customer I came to know them had many great experiences and become friends. When we tried to buy them as part of a private placement the Porsche factory stepped in doubled the offer.
I will always remember them with fond memories as those were exciting times in my life.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

You let something as paltry as the Porsche Factory doubling the bid stop you?

What a *****.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
You let something as paltry as the Porsche Factory doubling the bid stop you?

What a *****.
I was all the extra money they made selling Boxters!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 AM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Andial

They bought name, but shop's still closing, so what's next?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rare911s
They bought name, but shop's still closing, so what's next?
Press Release quoted:

"Santa Ana, Calif. – February 14 – With the last active owner Dieter Inzenhofer retiring later this month, the legendary ANDIAL name will stay in the Porsche family as Porsche Motorsports North America, Inc. (PMNA) announced it has purchased the brand for future use."

Let's hope the future is bright

Maybe like BMW M or MB AMG, we'll get a Porsche Andial 991
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I had lunch with Dieter last week and asked if PMNA was forthcoming about the Andial name. "They didn't tell me and I didn't ask". It was very important to them (PMNA) and given the number of vintage race cars with the Andial name on them, the brand has value.
The german factories don't like tuners so getting a name like Andial gives them a brand as IamSMC says.
A little more aggressive porsche..just check the Andial box on the build sheet.

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsports purchases Andial