Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Yes, it made me think as well. However, everything aft of the B pillars, forward of the firewall and above the beltline is gone when they start welding on the spaceframe. I'm sure the donor's have met very rigid requirements... and I'd bet that RUF saves a bunch on each one :-P
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Thanks

Great data....Love to hear from those that have such data, thanks for the info!...but keep in mind not all Turbo R's are AWD

Originally Posted by CP
Folks,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I have not been around this forum much lately.

I believe world wide there are 18 Ruf VIN BTRs. I am not sure even one in in the US. Including this car, I personally know of 5 BTR conversions (including mine), 4 here and one in New Zealand. Although that one might have been totaled by now. There are probably more Turbo-Rs in the world than BTRs.

This particular BTR has the built-in roll cage that most others do not. That is only done in Pfaffenhausen, and involves a LOT of work (both structural and cosmetic). My BTR has almost everything Ruf offers, including titanium innerds, but no roll cage.

While Alois prefers narrow body for better aero-dynamics he converts whatever cars the customers sent him. I am only aware of 2 narrow-body BTRs (this and mine).

While there are multiple ways to get a car converted (Ruf tech here, Wessiach and or Ruf Center in N America) etc. I read that Pfaffenhausen conversion is the gold standard, because of the QA/QC and rigorous standards Alois insists on with any work done in his Pfaffenhausen shop.

As for clutch, BTRs almost by definition, starts life as a NA car, thus (unlike the 993TTs) no hydraulic assists in the clutch, so the BTR clutches are stiff. I am used to it but it is not traffic jam friendly.

Performance-wise, the Turbo Rs will dominate the BTR (twin turbo, AWD etc.) but both are really fun to drive.

This particular car is attractive in these areas:
(1) Built-in Roll cage. That is truly rare.
(2) AG Ruf sports seats. They do not look like Recaro A-8s to me, but still great seats.
(3) Ruf green gauges. Those are rare as well. I did not get them until November 2012.

I don't know much. These are my 2 cents on the BTRs. Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Here's one of the Cayman shells being prepped, it took me a bit to find the pic .. there were a lot of interesting cars in this shop being restored and/or modified including a 911 Speedster and a 356 Carrera II. I had no idea RUF was in the vintage restoration biz ..
Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 AM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Here's one of the Cayman shells being prepped, it took me a bit to find the pic .. there were a lot of interesting cars in this shop being restored and/or modified including a 911 Speedster and a 356 Carrera II. I had no idea RUF was in the vintage restoration biz ..
Indeed they are. When I was in Pfaffenhausen I saw them restoring the #18 901 and another 901. Amazing stuff.
Does anyone have an idea as to what the BTR conversion price range is?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
Does anyone have an idea as to what the BTR conversion price range is?
I've seen a build sheet for one 993 BTR. This was a conversion done in Pfaffenhausen almost 10 years ago and had a lot of extras (integrated roll cage, etc). Total cost was something like 35K Euros which ended up being a bit over $40K USD.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would anyone here swap their stock 993tt for this Ruf?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IamSMC
Sure, I'd swap your stock 993TT for this Ruf in a hearbeat.

Last edited by JPP; 03-28-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: digits dropping delineators
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC
While I don't really know much about this particular BTR - they are very, very different than a stock TT. Single turbo, narrow body - and they drive much differently. The TT has a smooth power curve while the BTR has an on/off switch (single turbo).

And if you ask based on collectibility and value - I don't know.

It is hard to beat a TT if you drive it a lot. If you like rarity and the RUF name, the BTR is so cool.

Interesting thought.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
rufcar50
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post but I just never saw it before. Id like to add I own a even rarer BTR RUF its a C-4. They apparently made 2 like mine a black and white one both for the same ownwe Frank Beddor. It started out as a 1990 C-4 Shipped to Ruf in 93 stripped to a tub and a full built in cage added, adjustable all wheel drive from inside (which looks like a boost **** but is not) Its a 3.8 468 HP 450 Lb torque single KKK turbo. It has a working EKS 6 speed, Ruf seats, RUF wheels 8.5X 18 and 10 X18s.Ruf Brakes, suspension, mirrors. Its a light weight with all power equip removed, thin glass installed but did retain a/c and its also a wide body. close to 70K was spent developing this car in 93 dollars! I was told the white car no longer exists and this is the only on like this. Picture is on my profile if interested. I wasn't sure how to move it to here! Sorry
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Here you go, very nice!

Quick Reply: 993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan