993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Not necessarily. Gerald Harrison's RUF VIN TurboR started life as an arctic silver widebody Porsche 993 and built to RUF VIN Turbo R in 2005.
That doesn't match what's said here Or are we talking about two different cars?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC

The perceived difference should take into account, logistics, I read in another thread that Ruf Dallas (new distributor: Ruf Auto US) has a tech from Ruf Germany flown in to have their "hand" on the conversions, easier to fly in a tech then to ship a car to Ruf Germany. IMHO, I don't think this makes any Ruf car less of a Ruf car...
Not altogether true. RUF Dallas (and likely the new RUF US) do their own work without a German RUF tech's involvement. There may have been some training required here/there at some point. But, honestly, it isn't rocket science.

EDIT: Marin points out that Weissach did their conversions with a RUF Germany tech on site.

Before RUF Dallas and in locations where there is not a RUF outlet, German RUF techs would fly out and do the conversion. That may be the point of confusion.

Of the Turbo R here on RL - I know of one of each type: My car was shipped to RUF Germany for conversion, Steve's car had a RUF Germany tech do the conversion in the US, and KMY's car was converted at RUF Dallas. Marin's car was done at Weissach (the NA RUF outlet) with a RUF Germany tech's assistance. There are many other examples on RL.

Last edited by Texas993; 01-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Felix
It doesn't. But notice in the 3rd and 4th to last photos in that link you posted that the donor in the workshop is finished in arctic silver with a clearcoat on the exterior surfaces only, just as the factory does before assembly. That's not how body-in-whites were supplied.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM
marin77
Racer

Not to add more confusion to Patrick's note but my car was converted by Weissach and I believe (others will chime in - with Turbo R converted there too) that they had a Ruf tech flown in from Germany when Weissach did 4 conversions at the same time there.

Separately, my car is a Porsche vin car - I would have paid more on the margin for a similar Ruf Vin car.

BTR for sale looks like a nice buy subject to checking out ...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Marin. I didn't know that. I edited my prior post.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

RUF turboR Coupe ~ ‘06024’

Not to be confused simply with an uprated Porsche 993 Turbo, this car ‘06024’ was ordered new from RUF and was built by them from the bare tub, complete with a unique RUF chassis identification number and manufactures homologation.

I read this as an original body-in-white Ruf VIN car
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas993
Not altogether true. RUF Dallas (and likely the new RUF US) do their own work without a German RUF tech's involvement. There may have been some training required here/there at some point. But, honestly, it isn't rocket science.

EDIT: Marin points out that Weissach did their conversions with a RUF Germany tech on site.

Before RUF Dallas and in locations where there is not a RUF outlet, German RUF techs would fly out and do the conversion. That may be the point of confusion.

Of the Turbo R here on RL - I know of one of each type: My car was shipped to RUF Germany for conversion, Steve's car had a RUF Germany tech do the conversion in the US, and KMY's car was converted at RUF Dallas. Marin's car was done at Weissach (the NA RUF outlet) with a RUF Germany tech's assistance. There are many other examples on RL.
Was only adding to the point of perceived differences, I agree with niche in that "Conversions are Rufs just the same" whether Ruf cars started as body-in-white or Porsche VIN cars.

Guess the most important thing would be Ruf's certification of conversion (pedigree as some might say), where the Ruf VIN would simply eliminate that issue.

Last edited by IamSMC; 01-22-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marin77
Separately, my car is a Porsche vin car - I would have paid more on the margin for a similar Ruf Vin car.
Um...trade you my Porsche VIN for your Porsche VIN...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

RUF turboR Coupe ~ ‘06024’

Not to be confused simply with an uprated Porsche 993 Turbo, this car ‘06024’ was ordered new from RUF and was built by them from the bare tub, complete with a unique RUF chassis identification number and manufactures homologation.

I read this as an original body-in-white Ruf VIN car
So do I. But the photos included with the ad from the UK dealer do suggest something different. That said I find it surprising that a manufacturer can rebuild a car that was (presumably) previously registered and then roll it out of the factory calling it a 7 years younger "new" car. So I'm not sure what to think. Call me
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
^^ I don't know; I just remember a story all over PistonHeads about the difficulty with the MOT. Didn't sound pretty.

Maybe Felix remembers and can shed some light?
Hi bb993tt

I had to do some digging but I think what you were referring to was UK specific with registering a RHD Ruf in the UK - VOSA wouldn't accept Porsche's crash test results for a Ruf because small volume RHD imports got special treatment under a ruling successfully applied for by Japanese manufacturers. they wanted to prevent grey market imports of cheaper and more powerful Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Evo variants than they were themselves importing. So RHD Ruf cars could be called collateral damage, at least at the time. Not sure where things are at these days.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Mine

My 1998 RUF Turbo R had an engine shipped from RUF Germany along with 1 at least but possibly two techs from RUF/Germany to Puerto Rico where the engine swap was made from the c2s engine to Porsche/Ruf Turbo R TT engine + the rest of the Turbo R conversion work done. Car had 20K miles at time of conversion (now has 35K...) Conversion done in 2001. I believe they did 2-3 cars in this one trip, 1 or 2 993TT conversions and at least one C2s conversion (mine) .... full documentation and on RUF/Germany files to the same....Just some data.

That is a neat car at Sloan, some RUF wheels and call it a day! (after proper PPI)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

So do I. But the photos included with the ad from the UK dealer do suggest something different. That said I find it surprising that a manufacturer can rebuild a car that was (presumably) previously registered and then roll it out of the factory calling it a 7 years younger "new" car. So I'm not sure what to think. Call me
Woah, you're right, the plaque stating 2005 build date doesn't help either...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
My 1998 RUF Turbo R had an engine shipped from RUF Germany along with 1 at least but possibly two techs from RUF/Germany to Puerto Rico where the engine swap was made from the c2s engine to Porsche/Ruf Turbo R TT engine + the rest of the Turbo R conversion work done. Car had 20K miles at time of conversion (now has 35K...) Conversion done in 2001. I believe they did 2-3 cars in this one trip, 1 or 2 993TT conversions and at least one C2s conversion (mine) .... full documentation and on RUF/Germany files to the same....Just some data.

That is a neat car at Sloan, some RUF wheels and call it a day! (after proper PPI)
Was a Ruf VIN applied to your car?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a RUF btr conversion car today at driver source Houston. I was done in Puerto Rico. Silver with a tts wing. Guess what else I saw there. A freakin monster speed yellow CTR sport that was amazing. Also a 959 and a carrera gt. two mclaren F1's an Enzo... Etc. yeah. It was nice.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Woah, you're right, the plaque stating 2005 build date doesn't help either...

This isn't really anything new. After the first 29 RUF CTRs, the last of which was completed in 1990 from a body-in-white (when Porsche had already begun 964 production and ended impact-bumper/G-series production), all subsequent cars started out life as Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2s suitable for "conversion", which included stripping the car down to bare unibody like Gerald Harrison's Turbo R and building it back up as a CTR to the client's spec.

EDIT: There were 2 964 Carrera 4 widebody CTRs special-ordered by the Beddor family, but they're somewhat of an anomaly.

Last edited by ZAMIRZ; 01-23-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added a little more info.

Quick Reply: 993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan