Sponsored by:

60k service what do they typically do and average cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 60k service what do they typically do and average cost

My 993tt is nearing the 60k mark and nothing wrong with her... She wanted to know what is the typical cost and what I should look out for and what I rec to change out or replace while the shop has her?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is when Plugs, Caps, rotors, and compression leakdown test are more critical. Nearing the top end inspection time. Not trying to scare. Just telling you what we went to look for with my girl in the shop. Checking all the seals that are visible.

Also if you want to get into it and be really confident you should check your IMS. No harm no foul but at least you can get a look at her and see when/if the case needs to be split anytime soon.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I would add belts, plug wires on to the list. Plug wires will be expensive but worth it. Those wires are around 15 years old now. Air, cabin and fuel Filter. Make sure the pulley are updated if it is still running with the original.

Did you do a leakdown and compression from your purchase PPI? If so and current oil consumption is normal and car runs fine, then no need to look into compression and leakdown unless something is wrong.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

See. Combine our two replies and voila... Standard 60k service. Check brakes and lubricate door Hinges etc. bam, done. Lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by carmstrongls1
Also if you want to get into it and be really confident you should check your IMS. No harm no foul but at least you can get a look at her and see when/if the case needs to be split anytime soon.
?? Not sure what you component you are talking about here? IMS problems are a 996+ issue (non turbo). There is a layshaft on the 993 engines, but its not prone to failure and impossible to inspect. (unless I am missing something here?)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
?? Not sure what you component you are talking about here? IMS problems are a 996+ issue (non turbo). There is a layshaft on the 993 engines, but its not prone to failure and impossible to inspect. (unless I am missing something here?)

Cheers,

Mike
+1.

I would add a brake flush to the list unless you have records of it being serviced within the past two years.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd stick with the following guide from Porsche, I also did a PS flush as well.

Price wise I would think it's some decent $ at your indy shop, it's a major service. I'm fortunate to have MikeJ local to me to help with servicing.

If you do some research on the transmission fluid, everyone seems to have diff opinions on what works on their car too. The Delvac 75W-90 has been good for me, but I know not so good for others.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
993_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf (113.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google:
http://p-car.com/technical/maintainschedule.pdf
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

My intermediat shaft seal failed causing oil to leak badly on my car at 60k mi. We had to split the case to replace it. I thought this was the IMS on 993 cars. I know it was 30 hours of labor to fix the leak.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Now I'm wondering. Just checked that invoice from 2010... 33.8 hours. Intermediate shaft and seal replacement.

Heck, I know it stated leaking oil. Smoking and such
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carmstrongls1
Now I'm wondering. Just checked that invoice from 2010... 33.8 hours. Intermediate shaft and seal replacement.

Heck, I know it stated leaking oil. Smoking and such
Interesting. I have not heard of this and I do not think its a chronic problem - the intermediate (or layshaft) on these cars seems to wear on its bearings a bit more than the mains, but not fail very often. There is no seal on the shaft itself for a NA engine, but its different on a Turbo. The scavenge pump is driven off the intermediate shaft and it contained in the A/C mount, and the connection if via a keyed shaft.

Did you replace just the seal or the intermediate shaft itself, or the shaft driving the pump? To split the case is major work!!

Below is a picture of the layshaft on a NA engine - the same design. The lay shaft it the one with the sprocket being measured for backlash. Notice the end of that shaft ends in a recess in the engine case, on a NA engine, this is covered with a lid that is sealed, on a Turbo it part of the drive for the pump. Not that the engine is on its side in that picture.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

The whole shaft. It went down in a smoky blaze of glory. Fixed her up. Drove about 1500 more miles. Then tore it apart again. May 2011. Still yet to drive her since. Getting close though. This time is a different story. I think the only thing we kept is the case and the intake manifold. That's soon to change as well. Go billet or carbon, or go home is my new motto next year I will be getting a lift. Or at least a setup like basal skull has. That's killer get r done tech he has over there.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks so far for the advice... No compression test was done during the phi, the tech said the car ran great and didn't think she needed it.....so far so good. Just wanted to know th cost of the 60k range so I don't feel getting ripped off.... Was told around $1600
But hose and belts sounds like. Goo idea..... I know not part of the 60k
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
But hose and belts sounds like. 60k
What hoses do you need to replace? (Not part of a standard 60K service..)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
What hoses do you need to replace? (Not part of a standard 60K service..)
the coolant hoses are definitely spongy at that mileage.

Quick Reply: 60k service what do they typically do and average cost