Sponsored by:

steering rack centering pin/bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default steering rack centering pin/bolt

I just ordered more equipment/tools - more on that later. But in anticipation of using my new equipment, I wanted to be able to center my steering rack. There's a hole in the bottom of the steering rack covered with a rubber plug that can be used to center the rack - there's a divot that lines up with the hole and you can thread a tapered bolt in to lock the rack in center. This bolt for reference (since I didn't find it anywhere on rennlist) is M10, pitch 1.0 mm (I used a 30mm length) - it's a little difficult to find fine thread. Just ground down to a tip, with a bolt on it that I can back out to clean up the treads after grinding, works like a charm and cost a buck!
Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Good idea! I find grinders are often the poor-mans milling machine (and lathe...).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to update this, Lowe's now has this bolt in stock in various lengths. The 30mm is Hillman bag # 883644 in the hardware bins. They also have them at select Home Depot. My local one didn't have them.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda thing you pick up if you find it regardless if you need it yet or not!

Haven't been posting much, feeling kinda guilty not spending as much time on the turbo - working on the NSX (doing the timing belts and water pump currently). Did the same on the 928, now need to check the timing and accessory belt tension after driving it for a bit.
Looking forward to doing some track prep on the turbo after all that!

Quick Reply: steering rack centering pin/bolt