Sponsored by:

WTB 993tt

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

What is with the large variances of prices on the Tubos anyways? The same cars seem to go for $70K, or $85K or even $100K+ , and there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason other than perhaps the ***** on some people to ask the high bucks. I have been talking with Paul as he goes through the various cars, and the prices are all over the place. Its hard to tel the actual selling price or how long selling times, but cars seem to move.

I am not surprised that we find the occasional deal that seems to be lower than expected (i.e. the stellar deal) but how confirmed is that? - and there will always be outliers (like the Grey car that was asking $124K and sold in a few weeks).

So I know the market for prime Turbos is up since I bought mine last year, but its really hard to tell these days what is a "good" price, especially for those really unusual Turbos like RUF conversions, or upgraded machines, or ulta-low mileage examples. When Paul finds a car, we often banter back and forth on the price and its it "worth" that much - and like most pricing its a matter of market and personal want (of course).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eXACTLY. LIKE WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD SELL A SPEED YELLOW OEM PAINT '96 TURBO WITH 14K MI FOR 72K???? rEALLY? iN THIS MARKET?

mAYBE IF IT HAD MINOR HISTORY OF DOOR DINGS FROM A TOLL BOOTH YOU KNOW i WOULD UNDERSTAND THE PRICING. bUT THE WAY THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING THAT CAR WOULD BE PULLING 130k
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You must be using something other then a PC to type I have tried using Rennlist a few times with a Tablet and have given up... Interesting info regarding TT's and prices.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

He is programming his CNC machines again - making interesting parts for us gearheads I hope!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ that's a much better reason then I had
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

no way that 14K mile car sold for $72G's unless the car had a story
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Healeyguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pricing

My search is indicating that pricing is indeed all over the map. The key determinant seem to be mileage with the market stratified as under 20k, under 30k and over 50k. Under 20k miles is pretty much in the $80k range with the over 50k mileage being in the $60-70k range. Of course, there are always outliers such as the Canepa slate/chestnut car that was listed for $127k.

Keep in mind, a lot of what we are seeing is the "asking price". We really don't know the selling price. I've been following Dupont, Sloan, Ebay and a few others for a couple months and a lot of the cars have not moved. It's possible that the market has gotten ahead of itself.

From my perspective, I do see value in a car with less than 20k miles. Not so much for the mechanical as for the interior and exterior wear and tear.

Finally, we all have our preferences with respect to colour combos and we may pay more to achieve our goals in that area.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Spyder34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B&W
Nice, low mileage car I saw on ebay today. No affiliation.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...item1e7624d6d2
I spoke to this guy (above)- a dentist in NC who's had the car for 3 years. Good guy- and sent me more pics. Previous owner had a few Turbo S goodies added (front bumper, yellow calipers, CF). BIN $91k with 14k miles.

There's also a 1997 black/black 993tt in Winter Park, FL at Nort's. 35 year independent dealer selling it on consignment. Spoke with him, he sent me a few pics-- none on his site yet. He says mint condition. mid 20k miles asking $88k. Worth pursuing. It looks good 2 dimensionally.

I was the one who did the PPI on the $70k blk/blk 993tt in Washington with 21k miles. Walked after PPI. Too many things not right. And indications of much spirited driving.

I am finalizing a deal on another car so no attachments or affiliations with any of the above. GL. And feel free to PM me for more info.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
sethn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, Sent you a PM. I believe I have the car you're looking for...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

These do seem to be getting harder to find now. My feeling is that prices will continue to gradually rise over the next few years for pristine examples.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
These do seem to be getting harder to find now. My feeling is that prices will continue to gradually rise over the next few years for pristine examples.
Totally agree with your comments.

The low end entry prices is about constant but I think the cars in those ranges are gaining more mileage and/or stories. The cars with mid-point mileage (say 40,000 miles) is rising, and the clean low mileage cars (20,000 or less) is really rising. We are also seeing silly prices for the sub 10,000 miles cars -> some of which appear to be met given they are being sold quickly.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be very interesting to know how 993tt prices would plot over time graphed against 930 and 964 turbo data. It's very difficult to compare apples/apples, especially with the effects of inflation, varying option levels, etc. $70K sounds like a lot for a 16 yr old car, especially compared with $35K for a 35 yr old 930, but then again the tt cost >$110K new...

Interesting how hard it is to get good data on transaction prices for cars generally.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Interesting how hard it is to get good data on transaction prices for cars generally.
Exactly, transaction prices vs asking price, at times very different!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to sell one of my P cars. I'm making room for a 356 Speedster. My tt has 28760 miles. At 24,000 it got a top end job by Schneiders Auto Haus in Santa Barbara when it failed a leakdown on one cylinder during the purchase PPI. One exhaust valve guide was badly worn. Head work done by Steve Weiner @ Rennsport. At that time I also replaced the parts (while you're in there) that this forum recommended, $6,400 worth. Four days after picking the car up it was attacked by a crazed gambler with a hammer in the Bellagio parking lot. He broke the windshield, side window, rear window, hit the hood once, rear fender twice and spoiler once. I had the car shipped via Intercity covered transport to a Porsche only restoration shop in Richmond, Va. The repair work is perfect, as best I can tell. All of the old urethane sealant on windshield and rear window was removed down to metal. Windows are now as new...no squeaks, leaks or rattles. At approx 27,000 miles Tif's in Annapolis installed Walrod bushings.The car is bone stock, but for the following, Alpine do everything radio, H&R ROW suspension. The hood was replaced because the metal was stretched. I have the original hood showing the single hammer blow. It does not have sport seats. I am trying to decide which car to sell. If interested email me 911chrisw@gmail.com and I will send you photos and particulars. I am the third owner. I bought her from the owner of Moss Motors. The CarFax is clean.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I have to sell one of my P cars. I'm making room for a 356 Speedster.
oooh, a worthy tradeoff! Love the Speedster and will have to have one someday! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: WTB 993tt