Sponsored by:

Ruf Turbo R Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ruf Turbo R Wheels?

Pure opinion: Whatever the tradeoffs (weight, spacers, performance, cost...and these magnitudes are debatable)..the Ruf 19's are hands down the best looking wheels on a 993TT....Ruf or not; again my opinion. There is something about that simplicity. Anyway naturally I prefer the 11" at the back BUT TIRES, TIRES, TIRES..your opinions please? Have tires always been this difficult in this 315/25/19 size? They are next to impossible to acquire and ungodly expensive when you can. And what of going forward? Not like you could stock pile em like many other parts. More and more manufactures are dropping that tire size and when those last few are gone those Ruf 19's will be toast...I think? I've looked and there are no alternative sizes that you could put on that wheel for our cars (w/o messing up the speedo beyond reasonable tolerance or just looking well...wrong). Hope I'm the one who's wrong. Seeking enlightenment if it's out there.

And Steve has 255's on Rufus up front? Is that possible on a 993TT? Or is it some Ruf suspension magic allowing that? And BTW ROTtec replica is recommending a 7mm spacer at the rear. Not necessary but they recommended. Think the weight is the same as Ruf brand.

and Mick, is that the "hyper-silver" Ruf wheel color on your 997? Looks incredible! "Seal grey" on that 997? Whatever, it makes those wheels pop!!! Or again is it some cutom color you have on those Ruf 19's?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 12-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I am more concerned to make sure the rolling diameter of the wheels front and back are very close, that is important for your awd system. I am running 10" rears, and I think 295's (have to look), easy to get and cheaper. Car is find with those shoes, and given these cars chew up tires, much cheaper for running costs.

No differences on the RUF suspension and stock re: offsets. The CUFs (ROTtec replica's) have a different offset than the RUF wheels, and the 7mm spacer is just to push them out a bit to fill the wheel well. 7mm is right on the edge of what you can do without replacing the studs, I find it pushing too much but its personal choice since the number of thread turns gets down to 6-7 turns.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Joe,

I am able to use 255x30x19 fronts and 315x25x19 rears without any special magic and without aggressive negative camber. These sizes are a great match front to rear, and are about the same overall diameter as the stock 18" tires. My tires are Toyo Proxes T1R, which some people hate, but they work fine for me. I haven't even had to roll the fender lips to make these tires fit. If I have trouble finding these tire sizes at replacement time, I wouldn't mind stepping back to a slightly narrower tire with a slightly higher aspect ratio both front and rear. That would give a slightly nicer ride with a small sacrifice in tread squirm. And a higher top speed! I hate being limited to a mere 195MPH on our freeways!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Any idea on how to spot a fake?

guy is selling me new Ruf wheels from ebay and says i only need a 15mm adapter (i could remember Steve saying he runs 25mm) Is that possible? He said the the foundry is now producing them like that???? And now newer ones could just bolt right on-don't even really need any adapters.

Any distinguishing characteristics of authentic ones?

And Jeez Steve 255's???? and they don't rub??? I'm tempted....very much so. But I probably don't have your luck.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 12-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Joe here are the recommended tire combos from RUF as a reference point to start, not sure if I have posted this before for you.

Really depends are you going with 10" or 11?"

Also keep in mind, what is the height setting of your car too. If too low, let's say RS height I don't see how you could run larger than 305s in the rear without rolling the fenders etc.

That's actually pretty impressive Steve can run 255/315, the car I recall from pics does sit at a nice stance, so no rubbing or issues is great. I have yet to see RUF bumpers (front/rear) in person, now am I correct to assume the wider tires really fill it out more to match the aggressive bumpers? Someone how that tire combo on a regular TT would seem too much at least in terms of appearance. Maybe others have done this too?

If you stick with the 295s, 305s etc there should never be any issues with supply, keep mind most of the 997s etc are running these as factory sizes.

I'm running Rottec 11" rears. 235/295 combo, RS height. No rolled fenders or rubbing but I cannot go any wider I'm right at the limit.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Knight; 12-22-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Beautiful pics. Those are 295/30/19 in the back? I thought they would be too tall. But they look just fine. For rubbing purposes your tires albeit not as wide as 315 are significantly taller then the 315's. "Significant" is relative BTW b/c they look fantastic. Sure they are not 285's?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Knight
Drifting

Yep 295/30/19 but they are Hankook V12s. These tires have a more stretch/sleek look and in 285s the profile would be even more stretched.

You are correct generally other brands like Pzero, MPSS etc are taller. With my current settings I would not be able to run those tires in the rear.

The owner of Rottec is a good friend of mine, here are some more with diff tire brands:

1-2 pics on MPSS
3 pic on Yokohama Advan AV08 (very straight up tall tire but amazing in grip!)
4-5 pics on Pzeros

All 295/30/19 + 7mm rear spacers.

Good luck, either way the RUF style just look amazing on these cars. My next favorite is BBS (LMs, E88s).
Attached Images      
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm

guy is selling me new Ruf wheels from ebay and says i only need a 15mm adapter (i could remember Steve saying he runs 25mm) Is that possible? He said the the foundry is now producing them like that???? And now newer ones could just bolt right on-don't even really need any adapters.

And Jeez Steve 255's???? and they don't rub??? I'm tempted....very much so. But I probably don't have your luck.
The authentic ones have RUF in the castings on the inside of the arms, but that can be copied as well. They also look at bit different if you look at the arms and the way the center is dished.

The size of the adaptors needed varies a bit with the tires put on (since they can add width to the wheel dependant on the tread pattern), and if they are 10" or 11" RUFs. On my Turbo, I have the 10" genuine RUFs, and run 35mm spacers with Sumi's on the car. Other are running 28mm.

I doubt if RUF has changed these wheels once they have started producing them, so if the guy tells you that the "foundry" has changed something, he is giving you a total line of BS.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm

Post a pic of the ebay wheels, we will be able to tell if they are reps or not.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

hope this link works, he says all i need is 15mm adapters when others are running 25-35mm just doesnt make sense. He says the offset is different in these versus older Ruf's????

- if authentic i suppose its a good price especially since he's including some tires- that's why i'm entertaining these versus the replicas despite increased cost. they will only be a few hundred more than replicas and tires. ....there could be "value" there.

can anyone tell if these are real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-997-...item3a7c3482ba
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Those wheels appear to be authentic Rufs... you can tell by the lip that runs around the outside circumference. BTW, my 25mm adapters are aluminum and are stamped "RUF".
Old 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Post a pic of the ebay wheels, we will be able to tell if they are reps or not.
Here are the knockoff wheels from Ebay ... not bad for $1,000 http://www.ebay.com/itm/120992123905...84.m1423.l2649

Old 12-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Those wheels appear to be authentic Rufs... you can tell by the lip that runs around the outside circumference. BTW, my 25mm adapters are aluminum and are stamped "RUF".
I think the copies have the lip as well - the shots on ebay are all from the front or slightly from the side so its hard to tell. You need a shot from the backside to see if the RUF insignia is there - but even then...

However, I suspect they are copies - the price is below market (especially with tires), and he calls them "RUFF" which is the way that Ray at Rotec calls them. I prefer CUF (Chinese rUFs).. . he also feeding you a line of BS if he says the RUF is producing wheels with different offsets than original - that to me says these are copies.

Knight, you know if there are others selling the same wheels as Ray (Rotec?).

If its too good of a deal, you know the rule, there is a reason!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Knight
Drifting

They aren't rottechs being a 10" rear as stated in the ad. Did the seller actually state authentic? He doesn't imply in his eBay ad - RUFF.

I have no idea if others are selling them too besides Rottech, but I would have to think so as a guess.

One thing triggering it being a rep is the curvature around the lug nut holes, RUFs are actually more flat in appearance.

RUFs typically sell used for this price without tires too.

They need to show you the backside like this ad, note this pricing seems with the market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUF-Porsche-...65aa44&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Knight; 12-22-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Thanks gentlemen, sherlock holmes, watson, etc........Appears Consensus leaning toward replicas. Called him - no response. But I likely shouldn't have led in with an authenticity inquiry upon leaving a message .....suppose no response is actually the response. No wonder 90% feedback.

Ha we could be wrong, Steve thinks they look okay-give em benefit of doubt.....see if he calls back.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Ruf Turbo R Wheels?