hydraulic delete- manual steering & clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default hydraulic delete- manual steering & clutch

Thought I'd share again.

Most of the rational for this is in my previous recent thread..

There's a number of threads on the 993 forum regarding changing the hydraulic pump belt. The only difference as I suspected was the turbo inlet plastic pipe that also had to be removed, not a big deal. I didn't really understand how to take the belt off although reading about it until I looked at the pulleys. The upper pump pulley doesn't have ridges on the edge so with a little force, can be simply pushed/slid off. Putting the plastic cover back on was difficult. It can be pulled up into the engine bay with a little effort but I couldn't push it back down due to the rubber seal around the engine bay.. Ended up putting some string on the cover through the bolt holes and pulling it down from below while pushing up on the rubber with a screw driver...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Basal Skull; 11-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

couldn't post multiple pics with the Iphone, so here's the rest.

The pump belt housing is between the small oil filter and turbo inlet plastic pipe.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Basal Skull; 11-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I don't think the turbo slave is designed to be removed while in the car, what a bear! The NA slave is a piece of cake to put on (and remove). There's just no space above the trans and the turbo slave is so much bigger. The upper nut is the hardest, but there's a small space between the engine and the body where a open/closed 13mm wrench will barely fit, but it has to be modified. It has to be straightened and thinned to fit (see pic). I used a dremel and broke 2 trying to remove the bend in the head of the wrench (btw 1/2" is the same as 13mm)...
Some have dropped the engine some on the engine mounts by loosening the bolts on the engine mounts some but I have rs mounts and my bolts are not very long. In retrospect I suppose I could have just undid the bolts on the engine mount and supported the engine with a jack but would have been a little worried how secure it was while working around it.
Some rennlisters have had difficulty getting the slave to meet up with the shift fork when reinstalling but this was straight forward - there's a view hole on the clutch housing covered with a rubber flap, can't really see up there but can reach in with your hand and feel the slave/fork to make sure it is seated properly.

Flushed the system with SRF brake fluid.. NO MORE Pentosin for me!

Haven't driven yet but the pressure clutch is firm but not excessive. Probably slightly heavier than when you pump your pedal to decompress the accumulator when you check the pentosin level.

Next up the steering rack.
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The slave's (manual 993 NA) is above the trans/driveshaft, you can just see it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! Mine is the same way. Plan on replacing the slave every other season (will start to squeak which leads to pedal not retracting) but at $75 a pop who cares? You have to bleed it anyway
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

modified wrenches, previous failures, - it needs to be straight to be able to fit between the tiny space the engine and body.

you can see the little space between the slave and the nut, can't fit a regular wrench without thinning it out...
no space for a box wrench, tried extensions/swivel/1/4" drive etc etc..
The hard part was figuring it out just by feel since you can't actually see any of this...
Attached Images      
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
Nice work! Mine is the same way. Plan on replacing the slave every other season (will start to squeak which leads to pedal not retracting) but at $75 a pop who cares? You have to bleed it anyway
I guess the manual slave is a wear item, sure glad I don't have to change the turbo slave again!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys doing the slave cylinder delete should try the MPL slave cylinder, it does wanders to the clutch pedal effort, cheers, Sonny1.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
You guys doing the slave cylinder delete should try the MPL slave cylinder, it does wanders to the clutch pedal effort, cheers, Sonny1.
What is it? MPL slave? How does it help?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Didn't know about this, will try this next time for sure.

http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/porsche.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Basal. I saw those too. I am considering buying one although I just replaced my slave with a new FTE slave.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it, you will not regret it.
Sonny1.

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Texas993
Race Car

OK, who is bidding against me on ebay?!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Texas993
Race Car

sonny1, thanks for the suggestion.

I contacted the vendor directly and he offered me a good price with shipping (glad that I was outbid on ebay). I will report back.

Changing the slave is pretty easy. So I will try it out and see if I like it. If I don't, I'll go back to my recently installed stock slave.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting that you had problems taking out the slave - I swapped mine last year and its was not that hard, and did not require any special tools. Perhaps your tools have thicker heads than mine, not sure.

Like the idea of a manual clutch circuit and replacing the master with something more efficient just to get longer life out of the system, and making it simpler. Good stuff!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: hydraulic delete- manual steering & clutch