Sponsored by:

hydraulic delete- manual steering & clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Interesting that you had problems taking out the slave - I swapped mine last year and its was not that hard, and did not require any special tools. Perhaps your tools have thicker heads than mine, not sure.
Mike it was a real pain! Maybe it's easier on a lift, need to get myself one of those. There's just no space above the slave to get a wrench/ratchet to work, just able to fit the open end of a wrench between the body and engine, everything by feel... I may have been able to use the open end of the wrench but was afraid to and wanted to use the closed end since I could feel the nut edges rounding/slipping since I couldn't get my hands in there to support it/see the interface between the wrench and nut! I swear one of the hardest things I had to do. The manual slave is easy...

My manual rack is almost in, pretty straight forward. Just need to attach one tie rod, can probably do it tonight.

Ryojo
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Awsome post for we learners. Any reason you're not using the turbo clutch hose? Same size and fittings but braided steel.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Awsome post for we learners. Any reason you're not using the turbo clutch hose? Same size and fittings but braided steel.
At work, I tell my students that it's easy to learn from your own mistakes but harder to learn from other people's mistakes/experience... and in my line of work, mistakes are costly. Part of my work is to teach/pass on my experiences (and mistakes) the best I can. Sort of the same thing I do here...

No particular reason for the hose, seemed like a reasonable thing to get/replace when I was ordering the slave. The braided steel one might be more expensive (or could have used the old one). But since I was going to switch from pentosin to brake fluid like the NA 993 (as Essexmetal pointed out, would only have to carry extra brake fluid and no pentosin), thought the NA hose would be okay. If staying with pentosin, the steel one might have been better (made for pentosin vs brake fluid - the rest of the system is essentially the same afaik).
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Manual steering rack is in. I left the hydraulic lines in zip tied to the steering rack, just had to make plugs for the bango fittings. Just covered them with rubber hose. The centring whole on the steering rack was useful to centre the steering wheel when connecting the universal joint in the foot well - didn't actually have a bolt to hold it in place but if you're careful, you can connect the universal joint in the foot well without moving the steering rack out of centre position. The universal joint can be pushed up on the end of the steering column with the steering rack already positioned and then lowered onto the connector on the rack. Once connected to the steering wheel, turned it to one side then the other to connect the tie rods. The rubber boots on the tie rods were not too bad to push on.
(used new 2 m8x60 & 2 m8x80 6mm allen bolts - 35 ft/lbs)

Just need to put the air cleaner box back in and the intercooler. Will do that tomorrow and take it for a spin, looking forward to seeing how she handles! Heard that you gain about 8hp with the hydraulic pump disconnected, I'm sure it will feel like much more than that.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Basal Skull; 11-22-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added steering rack bolt sizes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You are my DIY hero. Can't wait to see how you like it.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Well was out if town yesterday and it had been raining for the last week or so. Finally had a chance to take the car out a few minutes ago. The clutch is stiffer, muscles have to tense up for a microsecond before the pedal moves, much more effort compared to the brake pedal where when assisted seemed similar. No problem, just needs to get used to, could see that it would be a little bit of a nuance in stop and go traffic. Slightly shorter travel and can tell where it is engaging a little better.
The steering is slower- I knew that would be the case with this rack - you have to turn the wheel a little more. No problem at speed. Can't really turn the wheel unless the car is moving. With my current alignment, the turn in was quite quick stock, it turned slightly further than where I had the steering pointed, now have to turn slightly more/past where the car is pointing. Good feel though at speed.
Pretty much what I imagined, perhaps slightly more effort with the clutch then expected - will definitely try the aftermarket slave next time. Will need to wait till spring to see how it behaves on the track and for me to get used to it.
It's like a different car/experience -which is what I wanted, and the hydraulic delete!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

If you are right handed, this will strengthen your weak leg!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
If you are right handed, this will strengthen your weak leg!
not a bad thing I think

Quick Reply: hydraulic delete- manual steering & clutch