Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear speaker help... Thanks... in the midst of it:)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rear speaker help... Thanks... in the midst of it:)

Stereo about done and realize the rear speakers are not an easy swap.... is there an easy factory swap speaker set up for the rears in our cars.... any suggestions would be great. What have people here used, etc... the speakers I bought did not come with grills and it will be a custom job (if possible) to install them under the factory grille / bezel.... installer would need to cut out the little bump in the factory set up that once housed the tweeter and possibly (if there is room) mount the new speaker from underneath to allow clearance of the the factory grille to fit back properly. Hoping someone has an easier way....

thanks
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aFHlLPn...-GTX462SC.html

This is what crutchfield states will be a direct swap but doesn't look like it based on the odd shape of the OEM mounting base here seen in my pic? plus have to use these grills and was hoping to keep stock look if possible with OEM Porsche grills curretly...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a stupid answer but...my second 993NA was so great I convincenced myself I would keep it forever. Sound familiar. Anyway, in an attempt to make it even more perfect I called Crutchfield, whose people are expert at not making people like me feel like idiots. I told them I really didn't care about cost, but I wanted the best speakers that would fit, front and rear, and a stereo that didn't look like a carnival game. They sent me an Alpine something or other and some great speakers. I was very pleased with what they suggested. Give them a call. They sure gave me good advice.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

New rear OE speakers are readily available from your Porsche dealer.
They are complete with speaker grills, take about 10 minutes to install and cost around $120 each.
While the OE speakers [8 Nokia speakers and amp] are not the greatest, some say disconnecting the rear speakers gives a better sound overall.
For me, the OE system is good enough - it's part of the 993 package.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

yeah, my car required an upholsterer and some good old fashioned carpentry to get sound and a factory look. To the trained I it is noticeable. But other than that... Factory matched leather and cloth grille covered. THis is a hard area. A bit pricey for the bang for the buck too. Once you get it right you an change speakers as often as youd like in the future though.

Quick Reply: Rear speaker help... Thanks... in the midst of it:)