Diff Oil? Motul 300 or Delvac search was done but not conclusive

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Diff Oil? Motul 300 or Delvac search was done but not conclusive

Hi,

New to me TT with 31K on it and did the oil change last weekend as well as a brake fluid flush. getting to the important fluids as it were. I've used Motul diff fluid with really good results in my Audi and BMW. Have seen Delvac has a really high support, but noticed in one thread that the Mobil PTX (factory fill) that the Motul seems to emulate that curve the best, as from the Amsoil testing. Car is street only, don't plan to track this beauty.

thanks for the input and advice. I've already found great help from the forum on the above maintenance items.

Rob
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Most will disagree but my guy (Porsche Master Mech. with his own place does most of the 993tt's and many racers around here) says put anything in the front diff but only the Porsche approved oil in the trany. Says it's best for the syncros and every time he puts the other stuff in, gets complaints about shifting being less smooth. No big deal if you don't like the Delvac it's not a wallet buster to switch it out.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

There are sooo many oil threads on this list its nuts - do a search, read the thousands of posts, and come to your own conclusions since you will not get a definitive one by asking.

Even the "master mechanics" (what the heck does that mean anyways - I found us enthusiasts often know more than many of these guys) will greatly differ in opinion. The safe way is to go Porsche recommended, but is the BEST way - who knows.

Just say'n.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
There are sooo many oil threads on this list its nuts - do a search, read the thousands of posts, and come to your own conclusions since you will not get a definitive one by asking.

Even the "master mechanics" (what the heck does that mean anyways - I found us enthusiasts often know more than many of these guys) will greatly differ in opinion. The safe way is to go Porsche recommended, but is the BEST way - who knows.

Just say'n.

Cheers,

Mike
I hear ya. Lots of framed certificates is no guarantee. We're really lucky here. There is lots of competition among the great guys so the mearly good ones don't last. If you saw all the stuff these guys work on....7 hoists plus several other bays, a long term project warehouse all full all the time.......bet this guy grosses more service $$ than all the Ontario P stealers combined . Rarely screws up and way more reasonable than dealer. Encourages us to buy parts in USA! This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge and really helps me get a grip on this mechanical stuff. Ronnie.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

ronnie and Mike,

thanks for the input appreciate the thoughtful responses. I'll keep wading through all the threads.

On a side note, Ronnie, it looks like you are a Mt. Tremblant resident or just a frequent visitor? I've been visiting since 98 and love the place, never been during the winter though. Always went to the track in the old village one of my favorite tracks and the one that got me into the hobby. Have you ever tracked the car at le Ciruit?

rob
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Since this was already started, what is the so called Porsche "recommended" fluid for the tranny?

Quick Reply: Diff Oil? Motul 300 or Delvac search was done but not conclusive