Sponsored by:

1996 911 RUF Turbo R FS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Norske,

Boy, you have an amazing list of ex-cars. Zowie.

It is fairly common knowledge that Ruf cars retain their upgrade value better than other tuner cars... not just by the Ruf worshipers, but anyone that looks at the market. This is not to say that one can't get similar (or even better) performance elsewhere for less money... Protomotive is the perfect example. But resale is something else. How much do you think your car is really worth right now?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norske
Wow. 80,000 for a car with 87,000 miles on it. RUF engine conversion or not. It's basically my car, but my engine was done by Protomotive. Same suspension and I have a superior Cargraphinc oil cooler. I was thinking of selling mine, but i believe I'll wait. I know I'll get blasted by y'all whom worship RUF, but c'mon. Their price I think is stupid! Nice car though.
Then what do you think this Ruf is worth?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Norske,

Boy, you have an amazing list of ex-cars. Zowie.

It is fairly common knowledge that Ruf cars retain their upgrade value better than other tuner cars... not just by the Ruf worshipers, but anyone that looks at the market. This is not to say that one can't get similar (or even better) performance elsewhere for less money... Protomotive is the perfect example. But resale is something else. How much do you think your car is really worth right now?
Hi Steve - I'm trying to follow what you are saying about Protomotive. Are you saying that Protomotive can get you more performance or that their re-sale is not as good as Ruf is?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 296 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I almost believe a higher mileage engine with a good refresh as noted is better then a lower mileage car with no refresh.... withen reason of course. They are becoming more rare these cars.....
Naw, the market'll pay waaay more for a low mileage car and so would I.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
Hi Steve - I'm trying to follow what you are saying about Protomotive. Are you saying that Protomotive can get you more performance or that their re-sale is not as good as Ruf is?
Hi Scott. I was trying to say (poorly, evidently) that Protomotive can produce similar or better performance at a lower cost than Ruf, but that Ruf will have better resale. When are you coming to Santa Cruz?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Trying not to get to far off topic here but it would be interesting to hear from the Protomotive folks on this subject. From what I've heard, Protomotive is quite expensive because most of their builds are 3.8 twin plugs. I believe they are $50k+. As far as the re-sale values, does anyone have past sales #'s to compare? Would be interesting to know.

I would love to visit Santa Cruz!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default more clear

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Naw, the market'll pay waaay more for a low mileage car and so would I.

better I meant quality and life of engine...mainly referring to this car with higher miles having a recent refresh.

Your surely correct about much lower miles is going to have the higher price tag out there and command such.... but those cars recently refreshed although with higher miles many times can be the a longer living car with no/less issues for miles to come. If one had a car with 40k miles bought, vs a car with lets say 80K miles but the 80K mile car just had a refresh I bet that the 80K car will be as reliable as the 40K car and would say even more for the next XXXXX miles..... not always of course. Hope that helps explain my thoughts a bit more as I realize my post was a bit vague...

I tend to agree with this:
"Hi Scott. I was trying to say (poorly, evidently) that Protomotive can produce similar or better performance at a lower cost than Ruf, but that Ruf will have better resale"

They have built a world brand over the years and in that commands a certain value/price affiliated with the brand. Those that think RUF is better just because it is RUF are sadly mistaken (no one saying that here) as andial, Proto, etc put out some amazing amazing cars! But at the end of the day RUF I think will always be the #1 "recognized" porsche tuner (recognized not saying better....) that will bring the most value on resale given equals. Small example...RUF wheels used sell for near new prices, where techart sell for much less then their original price used... RUF wheels are anchors (I have em, I know, think we all know) and so many better - lighter wheels out there but the RUF brand keeps the value high and yes they sure do look nice

Last edited by mickfluff; 10-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all know that RUF is also a manufacturer. I do know that a real RUF car will sell for more than most because of the name. This car only has a RUF engine upgrade and pedals. I think the car is worth about 65K at best. It has 87,000 miles on it. They are selling the name.

Yes i believe that you get more performance for less $$ with Protomotive than RUF. My engine was 32K which I am glad i did not spend.

My car has more HP than this car, same suspension, better oil cooler, same wheels, etc.

What my car is worth? Who knows. My whole car has only 21K miles. Engine upgrade has 8K miles. Suspension has 6K. I do know that there were less than 250 1998 C4'S produced, so I have a fairly rare beast. And I do believe my car is better and worth more than this car. But would someone give 80K for it. I doubt it. Would I take it? Probably not right now. I think the market for 993's is just in the middle of the rise.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Your car

Your car is a beast no doubt! with low miles as well....great build.

I also agree with what you noted on what this car has for RUF parts.... yes the engine conversion is the main part but the RUF bumpers, wheels, other RUF parts etc. all add much value and this car doesn't have much beyond the engine conversion. If it had all this other stuff though think the $ maybe more...

The price for the car and the new refresh........ given how often these cars come available I think will sell with possibly only light flex on price.

Also on board with your thoughts about the 993 market still climbing!

We all know that RUF is also a manufacturer. I do know that a real RUF car will sell for more than most because of the name. This car only has a RUF engine upgrade and pedals. I think the car is worth about 65K at best. It has 87,000 miles on it. They are selling the name.

Yes i believe that you get more performance for less $$ with Protomotive than RUF. My engine was 32K which I am glad i did not spend.

My car has more HP than this car, same suspension, better oil cooler, same wheels, etc.

What my car is worth? Who knows. My whole car has only 21K miles. Engine upgrade has 8K miles. Suspension has 6K. I do know that there were less than 250 1998 C4'S produced, so I have a fairly rare beast. And I do believe my car is better and worth more than this car. But would someone give 80K for it. I doubt it. Would I take it? Probably not right now. I think the market for 993's is just in the middle of the rise.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshy
Marin,

I noticed that as well. There must be more, although I have no way of verifying it.

There is another AR turbo R that Weissach completed. I believe the current owner is a R-lister (drdoug). I noticed a thread he commented on this summer where he mentioned he was having CTR-2 bumpers fitted for his vehicle. Gorgeous vehicle with the authentic black RUF seats !

Geoff
Was looking thru some old emails and I looked at this car last June, it was listed for $77K and sold within a few weeks. Service Mgr @ Weissach mentioned they did 4 conversions and this was the actually first one.

I'm curious, what would be the cost of the RUF upgrades?

The top end, front end respray etc I'd say roughly $20K+ right there.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Wow. 80,000 for a car with 87,000 miles on it. RUF engine conversion or not. It's basically my car, but my engine was done by Protomotive. Same suspension and I have a superior Cargraphinc oil cooler. I was thinking of selling mine, but i believe I'll wait. I know I'll get blasted by y'all whom worship RUF, but c'mon. Their price I think is stupid! Nice car though.

Hey Steve ! Good to hear from you and trust this finds you (still) in good health.

I hear your sentiments on the RUF brand, but given the rarity of the Turbo R, especially in Canada, they will IMHO get close to what they're asking. While the time of year isn't ideal, the locale it's being marketed in is not affected by winter conditions like most of the rest of Canada.

Well documented 993 turbos are uncommon in Canada, and the RUF modification (1 of 4 built here by Weissach) just brings more cachet to those looking for one of these machines. Another reason for the price (I believe) is the recent top-end refresh and repaint by a former RUF dealer that know these models and the R spec intimately.

Geoff
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Was looking thru some old emails and I looked at this car last June, it was listed for $77K and sold within a few weeks. Service Mgr @ Weissach mentioned they did 4 conversions and this was the actually first one.

I'm curious, what would be the cost of the RUF upgrades?

The top end, front end respray etc I'd say roughly $20K+ right there.
My conversion was completed in 2001 so the prices are far from current. When I enquired with RAC Dallas a couple of years ago, the engine conversion alone (turbos, ECU, sport cats, etc) was $40k. The add-on items can be priced currently on the RUF Germany website.

Geoff
Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just love my Ruf conversion and the price was simply fantastic..... it didn't cost more than $300 for my pedals... :-)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read through it all.

Want to say that the car for sale belongs to a friend of mine. Rest assure that this is indeed a RUF engine, though no one here say it isn't. The owner had a painting of his Ruf R in his garage signed by ruf, very nice of course. He should of sold it along with the car. I see that he uses the 996 wheels now, originally he had the black Fiske on.

He maintained his car and takes good care of it. I hope it goes to a good family, sad to see he let it go.

On the side note, I also thing the price is a little too high for such a milage car.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marin77
I see ... maybe this one is one of three BLACK Turbo Rs they did (!)

As part of my upgrades, I had the authentic RUF sports seats installed as well (my car did not have OEM sports seats so not a big loss IMO) - I really like them! I will try to post pictures this weekend.

(Koenig manufactures similar ones for a fraction of the price but oh well ... )
Marin,
Please post pics of your seats, I'd love to see 'em ! Did you order these straight from the factory in Germany or through RUF USA ?

Geoff

Quick Reply: 1996 911 RUF Turbo R FS