Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking good Steve, congrats.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mucho Gusto Amigo!
If you all knew how cheap Steve is, you will realize to what degree his sickness has ahold of him!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Steve,
Guages look great! Rufus was the original inspiration for my Turbo R and continues to be one of my all time favorites! Your passion for these cars is contagious and I love reading about all your upgrades. Where to go from here? Roll cage??!!!

Kevin
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

They look great! The beauty of the Ruf conversions is they can be tailored to the individual client. How did you get Alois to sign the car?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
Steve,
Guages look great! Rufus was the original inspiration for my Turbo R and continues to be one of my all time favorites! Your passion for these cars is contagious and I love reading about all your upgrades. Where to go from here? Roll cage??!!!

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

I was in RAC last week and we were chatting about the last couple of Turbo Rs that sold lately (one from their shop). We were reflecting on the work you had done on your car while there. Hans was talking about the way the brakes barely fit the wheels, the work on fitting the bumpers, and how nicely that car turned out. I remember it, only wish that I had been a Rufaholic at that time so i could have watched it more closely. It is a special car. They all are!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves... encouraging this sickness. But thanks for all the supportive comments. I'll be sure to tell my GF about these, with the exception of Mellor's comment. Yes, she already knows I'm cheap, but there is no reason to admit its such common knowledge in this community. Anyway, a few specific answers:

burton: you mention the threads I posted when I first purchased Rufus, sight un-seen from a flipper in Alabama. Good times. Gads, I was a wreck.

600RR: wipers? Do our cars have wipers? Oh. yes they do. I keep mine in the trunk. I like the look without them, and rarely drive in the rain.

Robert993TT: I brought my instruments to Palo Alto Speedo, where they changed the faces to the Ruf faces. The odometer was left alone, and even though the Speedo shows KPH, the odo will continue to record Miles. I have my digital display to show MPH, plus I usually have a GPS in the car. BTW, P.A. Speedo is a first class shop. They automatically replace the odometer gears in any 993 speedo they work on. Great service there.

Mellor: You know me oh too well.

KMY: Your car is the finest example of a brand new Turbo R in existence. Next up? Nothing. I'm done. What do you have up your sleeves? Keeping up with Kevin is damn hard work.

TT Gasman: When you are as sick as I am, you simply send your passenger sun visor (or some other piece of your choosing) to Alois in Germany. He will sign and return. I think the shipping both ways was about $80, but the result is priceless.

Bradford: Geez Scott... are you still using that same tank of gas you bought in 2009? How about a road trip to Santa Cruz?

Lazy me... I'm having my local Porsche mechanic come to my house on Friday to re-install the instruments and put the steering wheel and air bag back on. I suppose I could do it myself, but I'm sure to maim myself with the exploding air bag.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM
sonny1
Banned

Yes, they do look good, but the pointers should be white and not red,perhaps they can be changed to white?,they do look great,enjoy.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

So awesome! Hope to see them at the next Canepa cars and coffee. I am hoping my new to me Signal Orange 1973 914 2.0L will be all sorted so I can show it off!

Regards,
Hal
Old 09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RUFUS keeps looking better and better ...
Steve, do you know if Ruf has gauges in aluminum finish. I currently have OEM aluminum gauges and would like the keep that feel in the car ...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Hey Kevin,

I was in RAC last week and we were chatting about the last couple of Turbo Rs that sold lately (one from their shop). We were reflecting on the work you had done on your car while there. Hans was talking about the way the brakes barely fit the wheels, the work on fitting the bumpers, and how nicely that car turned out. I remember it, only wish that I had been a Rufaholic at that time so i could have watched it more closely. It is a special car. They all are!
Hi Patrick,
Hans and team are a great bunch of guys. Knock on wood, but my car has run flawlessly ever since receiving TLC from the guys at RAC. They put a lot of work into my TurboR, but it was worth every penny and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Funny you mention the brakes. Shortly after I had my car at RUF, Brembo came out with a 6 piston front set up for the 993. Mine is the standard RUF set up (380mm rotors / 4 pot). The 6 piston set up uses 355mm rotors. I ordered them through RUF and had them installed. Much better clearance and i loved the big calipers, but pedal feel was terrible and I really missed the big rotors. Ultimate went back to the original set up and haven't had any issues. Those 15'' rotors are massive and stopping power is overkill, but they're nice to look at!

Tell Hans and team hi for me!

Kevin
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

+1 Hans and the boys at RAC! My car has been trouble free since the conversion in '09. I know if i ever did have a problem they would take care of me. I just wish Ruf was still in Texas
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=ca993twin;9821798]Bradford: Geez Scott... are you still using that same tank of gas you bought in 2009? How about a road trip to Santa Cruz? QUOTE]

Yes, still on the tank from 2009

Admittedly, I use my other weekend car much more than the Turbo. Oops sorry, I know you hate BMW's.

Congrats again, love the gauges!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

You are killing me. I will call you on Friday to get the details. Sighhhh.....

CP
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

too cool
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Steve, the gauges look GREAT! Even owning a car that has ZERO Ruf mods, I have always wanted the gauges! For whatever reason, I think those green numerals looks simply perfect! I may have to call Palo Alto sometime today just to inquire!

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Rufaholic