Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Turbo's rebuilt...still Kevin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Need Turbo's rebuilt...still Kevin?

Is Kevin still the guy people are recomending here at http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/ to rebuild turbos? Website has no number just an email?

Engine is out to fix the oil leaks and turbos looked at in depth and seems like both have small puddles of oil etc... and my tech says they need to be rebuilt.

thanks all...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i sent mine to protomotive. you can have it rebuilt or upgrade to at least a stage 1
Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
i sent mine to protomotive. you can have it rebuilt or upgrade to at least a stage 1
RUF Turbo R turbos are already upgraded ... my advice is to stay away from "upgrading" them as your car has a RUF ECU tuned for those turbos.

If you are in a hurry, I advise you to ask whomever you choose for a commitment on timing. And don't pay until you have the turbos in hand.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Protomotive

Spoke to Protomotive.. they have two K16's rebuilt ready to ship, with nice billet wheels etc for $ and my old turbos as core charge. I think this maybe the way to go...they would ship asap once they get my turbo's so no waiting 10-14 days for the rebuild etc. Time is important to me and the fact they would be an easy swap, plus the billet wheel etc maybe nice.

thoughts?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mick, see my PM. You need to make sure you get the proper K16/24 hybrids for the Turbo R.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mick,

Patrick is giving you sound advice. I know that Kevin knows what is inside the Ruf Turbos. Ruf is quite secretive about their modifications, so you will want your own turbos rebuilt, or have them replaced by some identical units. C2S (the buyer of Niche's Turbo R) has a pair of Ruf turbos off the car. He may be persuaded to loan you his and replace his with your turbos after yours are rebuilt. I haven't spoken to him... just saying.

Further... beware that a LOT of 993 turbos get rebuilt for no good reason. The cost differential to replacing the turbos now, while the engine is out versus pulling the turbos off your car later may not be that great, and perhaps you will find (once everything is freshened) that your turbos are fine.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default good advice

I am talking with Kevin via email but also dealing with Todd at Protomotive whom seems to be familar with the RUF Turbo R conversion cars and many have said is really top notch in his field. (looking at both before I make the final call) I have to believe a shop like Kevins or Protomotive whom deal in turbos, once they get mine in for review should be able to get me the match? Or is this more complicated then that, I admit to being a newbie at this compared to many of you...so again appreciate greatly the input.

I dont want to get into a reprogram ECU situation for the turbo's thats for sure etc..

Should I reach out to RUF as well?

The engine is out, all accessible now...so wanted to do Turbos (as advised by my tech, as oil got in) so I know they are 100%; plus they do have oil that may have gotten in before check valve and 996 lines were added which was recently.., doing the timing chain covers left and right, main timing chain case, new wiring harness (one in it works but also is getting old etc..) and some other things that I read people recommend to be done with engine out etc... I did read here on rennlist about oil overfill, bad filters, over tightening of filters, etc all which can cause oil to leak into turbos etc.

I am hoping new (new rebuilt) from a top notch shop will only save me from head aches later and maintian value in the car. Just doing everything else I am nervous not to just check this off the list so I know its done.

Thanks for listening...

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Mick,

Patrick is giving you sound advice. I know that Kevin knows what is inside the Ruf Turbos. Ruf is quite secretive about their modifications, so you will want your own turbos rebuilt, or have them replaced by some identical units. C2S (the buyer of Niche's Turbo R) has a pair of Ruf turbos off the car. He may be persuaded to loan you his and replace his with your turbos after yours are rebuilt. I haven't spoken to him... just saying.

Further... beware that a LOT of 993 turbos get rebuilt for no good reason. The cost differential to replacing the turbos now, while the engine is out versus pulling the turbos off your car later may not be that great, and perhaps you will find (once everything is freshened) that your turbos are fine.

Last edited by mickfluff; 09-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would NOT trade my Ruf turbos, once you do, it's no longer a Ruf just a modded turbo.
Think long and hard b4 you get rid of them. Patrick and others are offering sound advice. The Ruf r turbo is a total package.
Somebody like chris carrol at turbokraft can rebuild your Ruf units ,just takes a few weeks, no rush.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 58 Posts

Call Ruf in Detroit or in Germany I would not trade and use other turbos
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mick,

Hey Steve,

The Turbo's on my car are the originals Ruf units. Niche sent them out to Kevin to get rebuilt and had them installed before he sold the car to me. He kept the others which I believe were k24's and I think he might have sold those units on Rennlist.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RUF
Hey Steve,

The Turbo's on my car are the originals Ruf units. Niche sent them out to Kevin to get rebuilt and had them installed before he sold the car to me. He kept the others which I believe were k24's and I think he might have sold those units on Rennlist.
Ooops. My error on several scores. And you've changed screen names to boot.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 AM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooops. My error on several scores. And you've changed screen names to boot.
Steve,

In my book you can do no wrong

Greg
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks all

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback and data... I am going to keep these turbos and give them a nice refresh from a top notch shop... I want to do all I can to maintain all RUF that this car is!

much appreciated...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blouch Turbo does the Protomotive stuff.

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Spoke to Protomotive.. they have two K16's rebuilt ready to ship, with nice billet wheels etc for $ and my old turbos as core charge. I think this maybe the way to go...they would ship asap once they get my turbo's so no waiting 10-14 days for the rebuild etc. Time is important to me and the fact they would be an easy swap, plus the billet wheel etc maybe nice.

thoughts?

Quick Reply: Need Turbo's rebuilt...still Kevin?