Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a Bad day for first drive in my RUF...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default a Bad day for first drive in my RUF...

Well wish this was a better post... took the car out for the first time on the highway. I have driven the car 4-5 times and about 25miles since I got it but only around town. Finally had some time today on the morning to go for a ride on the highway and actually experience the car....let the car warm up a bit and drove to highway, maybe a 7-8 min ride to highway etc...

Well drove the car normally and then finally gave it some gas, boost to maybe 6500+rpm and poof, a light pop and what sounded like maybe a blow off valve psssss and the car died.... I was rolling down hill on a bridge... engaged clutch and released and the car re-started but bogged out..like choked out... tried a another time and same, car choked right out but did start for a moment. NO white smoke out of rear etc... well wont get into the tow experience (3hrs, no tow hook in car, believe transport company took when delivered by error, flagged down a boxster owner and he let me borrow)

We got the car to safe place... (hard on a sunday) and to a porsche techs house... we gave it a try to start and the car did turn over but was running VERY rough and rich...black smoke (not thick smoke but black still) from tailpipes and smell of gas clearly running rich... we shut it right down....

Will try and diagnose early next week...I never added oil, or over filled, checked oil level last week and seemed OK, car passed PPI well, etc etc...

Praying its nothing major....
any thoughts? Also small box in rear underside by exhaust leaking some oil? car does have a check valve kit installed I believe, not sure if this is something that will help from major failure? At a loss I will admit as I don't know much about these cars...

Thanks all...
Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Turbo to intercooler hose pop off? Good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default wow, good call....

You may have nailed it buddy.... the tech called and said a hose to one of the turbo's may have blown off etc.... he looked at the other and said it looked a little worn etc so we are ordering both and replacing... I am hoping this is it as he said this is nothing major if this turns out to be the issue.... fingers crossed and will know more next week.,..

Originally Posted by Bradford
Turbo to intercooler hose pop off? Good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my hoses blew off my 996TT and all of a sudden my instrument panel lit up like a christmas tree. I was very concerned until the tech said "you didn't put the hose on correctly when you changed your plugs" .
Let's hope for a good ending to this saga.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1^
sounds like a turbo > intercooler pipe let go - happened to me once and was scary till I popped the lid and saw the RH hose had let go.
(mine also happened on high boost 1.1 barg.)

good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
ctr2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you resolve the problem soon, good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

If your tech replaces the boost hoses, make sure he changes the factory hose clamps to Breeze clamps or equivalent.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
If your tech replaces the boost hoses, make sure he changes the factory hose clamps to Breeze clamps or equivalent.
Indeed on the Breeze clamps. Also use the uprated 1997 Turbo hoses with the orange ends.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

Pat Duggan at inskip air cooled and extensive knowledge of turboR, where is the car now I can call Pat Bob
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks...

PM'd and emailed

Originally Posted by scosurf
Pat Duggan at inskip air cooled and extensive knowledge of turboR, where is the car now I can call Pat Bob
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Intercooler hose poping off is something owners should know how to diagnose and repair (at least temporarily) to avoid being stranded, particularly for longish trips. The other couple of things are a Dme relay and a twelve pt tool/extra fan belt... The oil infortunately that you show in your pics are probably from a leaky turbo
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks all

if my guy has issue locating parts shipped to RI in time any recomendation where i can get parts shipped in next day? Or 993tt hoses readily available at most dealers? he goes on vacation Thurs. for 3 weeks so hoping its on and it in time...to get to the planned next stp next week for the other works I had planned...

thanks again all...
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Woosah
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me during a spirited drive down some twisty roads. I was accelerating hard and heard the same sound. I knew right away that the intercooler hose came off. I now drive around with a couple of wrenches and sockets in my car for this specific problem. Now if this problem happens again, I will be more ready to fix the car on the spot.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

Very common for the 964T also to blow the hose of the intercooler.. Same thread pops up a few times a year. Hoping it is this easy fix for you
Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That kind of a sudden rich condition is almost always a boost hose. Even 997tt are prone to it.
I always carried a roll of duct tape just in case.
My 930 has built in tow hooks in the front, I believe my 993tt had the same, but I could be wrong.
GL
c

Quick Reply: a Bad day for first drive in my RUF...