Sponsored by:

a Bad day for first drive in my RUF...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
if my guy has issue locating parts shipped to RI in time any recomendation where i can get parts shipped in next day? Or 993tt hoses readily available at most dealers? he goes on vacation Thurs. for 3 weeks so hoping its on and it in time...to get to the planned next stp next week for the other works I had planned...

thanks again all...
Good places for oem hoses https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hos...kn8n6k5jhftdt3
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Breeze

Looked up Breeze clampns and they look like normal clamps, am I missing something or a certain style to go with?

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Indeed on the Breeze clamps. Also use the uprated 1997 Turbo hoses with the orange ends.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mick,

In a different string, ScottMellor recommended these Breeze Clamp models:

Breeze CT300s up top and CT250 on the bottom is the answer.

Those worked for me. They are different than regular hose clamps.

Last edited by Texas993; 08-20-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Thanks...

Great thanks...

$270 a piece as doing both sides for the lines.... as if one went don't want the other far behind..

Thanks all and thanks for the heads up on the clamps...
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Breeze clamp on the left, stock on the right. I got mine from McMaster Carr.

Last edited by Bradford; 08-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
lruss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

breeze clamps and orange ended hoses
Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out:
I was coming back from visiting RUFUS and I popped a hose on the Cuesta grade.
Oh ****e thought I. I'm going to break down in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night.
But the car kept going.......
So I just kept going........
I stopped at a gas station near San Loius Obisbo, figuring that at least I was near a motel and civilization. I foolishly stopped the car, filled up, and ate a Burrito.
It was a lower end of the hose that had popped off of the larger GT1 turbo, so I had NO CHANCE of replacing it in the field.
To my amazement, the Guap started, and we proceeded all the way home to Westlake Village.
The next day, there was no way in hell to start him and he was flat-bedded to my tech after I had spent an hour trying to slip it back on. (My tech said there was no way I would be able to get them back on due to the tightness of the fit in the area because of the larger turbo, and he was right.)
(I now have breeze constant torque clamps on BOTH ends of the hoses.)
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread. Lots of learning here too. I will take some precautions especially driving up in the mountains flyfishing, no cell service.

Glad it all worked out Mick.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Mick you need to change your screen name to Mickruf
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks

hey thanks again all... makes me happy when I thread I start helps a few others as again seems as most of my threads I start is really asking you all to help me....until I get some more experience I am afraid most of my threads maybe asking for help I ordered the Breeze...tech ordered trhe hoses 270 a piece as mentioned, I did not ask if they were orange ended? should I call them asap and have him call the company shipping the parts and confirm its orange ended ones? I know they are oem etc..

Is there a DIY on how to get to these hoses to check, and fix... I plan to carry the right tools to at least get at this area in the future...

hoses get here wed, and then will know if this is the fix....hoping so...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

All the new hoses that are currently sold AFAIK are the orange ended reinforced ones.

Haven't seen a DIY per se, it's pretty straightforward. Most of us have had the intercooler off and thats requires the upper - hose to intercooler - end off. The lower part which is more tricky - hose to turbo outlet. Need to take the rear wheels off, and even then it can be hard/awkward to reach. Easier if you take the mufflers off but I rarely do that. To get breeze clamps on, most people have to trim the metal shroud around the turbo outlet to get the clamp to fit.

btw, I just use the stock clamps and don't have any problems. You just need to be careful about how the hose is seated and not to over torque/damage the hose. If you're using aluminum boost blow off/recirculation valve and have the option of changing the closing/opening pressure/spring, I'd use the softest spring.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A good way to get the lower breeze clamps on is to get Bradford to come to your house and put them on for you. I would say offer pizza and beer, but he's way too classy a guy for that.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default feeling better

I found a way to feel better, I ordered black leather wrapped RS style inner door panels..... feeling a bit better now.....

That said, will feel 100% better once the lines go on and the report comes back the car is all set!

Steve did your RUF gauges work get done yet as I am planning for the same....thoughts?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

Buying new goodies will almost always better the mood
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Steve did your RUF gauges work get done yet as I am planning for the same....thoughts?
I went out to Palo Alto Speedo today to look at their instrument faces. The tachometer face has the proper cutout for the OBC display. Does your C4S based car have this display? The Speedometer comes in two varieties (both marked to 360KPH) 1). two cutouts, one for the trip odometer. Most cars with the OBC display do not have a mechanical trip odometer. This can be easily hidden, and this is what I will use, 2). a triptonic gear display. Not horrible, but I am choosing the other option.

I need to get my local tech to come to my house and remove the steering wheel and instruments. He can't do this until next week. As soon as it is done, I will drive my instruments to Palo Alto for the "upgrade". BTW, a certain other Rennlister with a Turbo R had his instruments "upgraded" yesterday. I hope to meet with him, 2 Ruf BTRs, and 2 GT3s for lunch on Sunday.

Quick Reply: a Bad day for first drive in my RUF...