Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Market value of 993 Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, let's play a little game here! Name me another limited production sports car you'd want to buy in the USA with very similar performance numbers, heritage, looks, drive-ability, and etc, with production numbers under 185 units and in the $150-200K price range?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Guys, let's play a little game here! Name me another limited production sports car you'd want to buy in the USA with very similar performance numbers, heritage, looks, drive-ability, and etc, with production numbers under 185 units and in the $150-200K price range?
forget all that. How about just other cars for that price, because I don't care about heritage or production numbers.

At that price, you'd get a hell of a nice F430 spider, gallardo spyder, R8 V10, Ferrari 599, GT3 RS, etc.

I'm just not one for super rare show pieces.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I get it, but its a standard turbo with what is essentially an option package.

Aside from telling people that its one of 158 or whatever, what do those limited production numbers get you?

Sure I can appreciate a rare car...but a turbo S is no big deal to me.

This is true. I just couldn't imagine ever wanting to pay that kinda money for that car.
1997 Turbo "S" - The 1997 Turbo S was the final upgrade Porsche made to the air-cooled Twin Turbo series. It included:

A modified ECU to provide 424 HP (A Chip Change)
Added an additional oil cooler
Air inlets on the real quarter panels
Lot's of Carbon Fiber in the interior
A different front bumper with additional air inlets
A different rear Turbo Tail
"Turbo S" scripts on the Tach and on the Tail
Yellow Brake Calipers
Originally sold for around $155,000.00

Source: 993tt.com
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The cars with under 10,000 miles are right around the $200 figure. Depending on miles, color, condition, I don't think one would exist under $150,000
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

forget all that. How about just other cars for that price, because I don't care about heritage or production numbers.

At that price, you'd get a hell of a nice F430 spider, gallardo spyder, R8 V10, Ferrari 599, GT3 RS, etc.

I wouldn't think twice about taking a 993 Turbo S over any of those cars. I wouldn't need a 10k mile example, but Seinfeld's old Mexico Blue Turbo S is probably my favorite 911 of all time.
So essentially it's all relative. If I had less than $500k in my account, as much as I love the 993 Turbo S, I probably wouldn't spring for one. If I had a few million, I would probably purchase without a second thought.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oliver, those are all great cars. But they are not limited production examples of less than 185 units. You are changing the rules. I understand the limited production is not important to you specifically. But for the 993 Turbo S it's all about supply & demand. If anyone should be able to understand this, it would be you.

Then you throw in the dynamic of someone like Sloan getting involved, by buying up great examples, and then holding them only in exchange for a King's ransom, and prices will continue to escalate.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Sloan's prices are an outrage which we all know.

That said, the S's have always had a substantial premium over standard TT due to low production numbers. If someone wants an "investment grade" turbo, then it really has to be an S and one with super low miles and completely original.

All the modern cars mentioned for similar money are on a steep depreciation curve and will keep going down in price for many years to come, so in terms of investment, not the way to go.

Surprisingly, the Ford GT initially dropped and has now recovered to the 150k range and may even creep up, so this seems a better "investment" than the others for now
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
mausone46
Racer

The cars will have to go to europe to get that kind of money.
The european TT S is a little bit different: 450 Hp etc....

I don't think that someone would pay that money here for an us model
Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Richard55
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been partial to the 550 Barchetta for this type of criteria. 448 of them, but the same general idea. 993 TTS is more drive-able since it has a roof.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
TTKan
Pro

The BMW Z8 has also shot through the roof lately in term of valuations, particularly the Alpinas.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I wouldn't think twice about taking a 993 Turbo S over any of those cars. I wouldn't need a 10k mile example, but Seinfeld's old Mexico Blue Turbo S is probably my favorite 911 of all time.
So essentially it's all relative. If I had less than $500k in my account, as much as I love the 993 Turbo S, I probably wouldn't spring for one. If I had a few million, I would probably purchase without a second thought.
sorry, as much as I like my 993TT, no way in **** would i take it over a 430 or god forbid a 599 with a manual. Hell, I got all the fun of a 993TTS for a bit over $50k in my old ****box.

Oliver, those are all great cars. But they are not limited production examples of less than 185 units. You are changing the rules. I understand the limited production is not important to you specifically. But for the 993 Turbo S it's all about supply & demand. If anyone should be able to understand this, it would be you.

Then you throw in the dynamic of someone like Sloan getting involved, by buying up great examples, and then holding them only in exchange for a King's ransom, and prices will continue to escalate.
But really, aside from valuation, who cares? Its not like a standard 993TT is seen on every street corner. We are already in the realm of cars that are somewhat rare. Beyond not having a car you see everywhere, what is the real advantage of a super rare vehicle?
Originally Posted by hal m
Sloan's prices are an outrage which we all know.

That said, the S's have always had a substantial premium over standard TT due to low production numbers. If someone wants an "investment grade" turbo, then it really has to be an S and one with super low miles and completely original.

All the modern cars mentioned for similar money are on a steep depreciation curve and will keep going down in price for many years to come, so in terms of investment, not the way to go.

Surprisingly, the Ford GT initially dropped and has now recovered to the 150k range and may even creep up, so this seems a better "investment" than the others for now
Meh, cars as investments are terrible.

Originally Posted by TTKan
The BMW Z8 has also shot through the roof lately in term of valuations, particularly the Alpinas.
Another car with big value that is totally mediocre. The s62 is a nice smooth powerplant, but the chassis of that car is meh, the interior is weird looking, and the overall performance leaves a lot to be desired (albeit not an alpina). That, along with the CLK BS, would be two of the last cars I'd buy.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

1997 Turbo "S" - The 1997 Turbo S was the final upgrade Porsche made to the air-cooled Twin Turbo series. It included:

A modified ECU to provide 424 HP (A Chip Change)
Added an additional oil cooler
Air inlets on the real quarter panels
Lot's of Carbon Fiber in the interior
A different front bumper with additional air inlets
A different rear Turbo Tail
"Turbo S" scripts on the Tach and on the Tail
Yellow Brake Calipers
Originally sold for around $155,000.00

Source: 993tt.com

yawn... he scoops are fake and the power can be matched with a chip.

However, having owned an F430, I can say that my TT is much more fun. Ferraris are all show, with the possible exception of the latest ones (haven't driven them)

Sloan is busy being a market-maker. On the green TT he has raised the price by $10K twice. OTOH, if you want perfect, no-stories examples, Sloan has 'em. He will negotiate however

Quadcammer, only ever owned three cars that went up in value during my ownership. Very very few "investments".
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

while I agree with the rest of your post, how you can think a 6 speed F430 is all show, I'm not sure.

that was an awesome car to drive.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry, as much as I like my 993TT, no way in **** would i take it over a 430 or god forbid a 599 with a manual. Hell, I got all the fun of a 993TTS for a bit over $50k in my old ****box.
I have a car that will out-accelerate a Turbo S, and I could easily get one that will out-handle any of those cars for less than $10k. That's not the point. It's the whole package. And of course it's subjective, but I love the way a 993TTS looks, sounds, and I haven't driven one, but I imagine it drives like other 993s, which I like.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

I dont really think people buying a 993TTS are even looking at an F430. There are very few cars that Porsche built that can be considered good investments (maybe a few 356 models). Even the 993TTS when you take into consideration inflation, cost of money...etc. even at 200K return its a bad investment. Plus the fact, in order to get the 200K selling price you had to moth ball the car for the last 13 years. Smart money buys a 30K to 50K mile 993TT and enjoys it. That is why I sold my 17,000 mile 993TT to europe because driving the car made it worth less.

Quick Reply: Market value of 993 Turbo S?