Sponsored by:

Friend looking to sell, value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Friend looking to sell, value? With Update

Looking for some expert opinions on the value of this 49,000 mile 1996 turbo. Ca. car, second owner since 98'. Car has been tracked about 10 times at Willow Springs. Owner can't find the time to drive it. I've been told the paint is original. It has been chipped/ecu modified which the owner is looking into exactly which one. I have not seen the car in person for a couple years but it looked pretty clean then. He wants to sell but not sure what to ask. What do you think?

Thanks

***Quick update on this car. My friend left the car with me and the goal was to get it back as close to stock as I could. I had not seen the car prior to him leaving it with me so I wasn't sure what to expect. As it turned out, the car was very solid and all the panels were original with the original paint. Of course, being that it was black, every tiny nick in the paint stood out like a sore thumb. I began with the interior and removed the Das rollbar, harnesses and the fire extinguisher. I then put the back seat in and ordered some new Lloyds mats for the car.

I then took to the exterior and had the front bumper and hood re-painted do to typical rock chips. I also replaced the headlight lenses to freshen up the front of the car. I had the PDR guy come out and remove a couple door dings and had the paint detailed (2 days worth).

While all of this was going on, I had the wheels at a shop to remove the chrome and re-paint. I replaced the front tires also. Here is what it turned out like.

So I put the car up for sale for $67k on Rennlist and Pelican. The response was pretty strong on Pelican with not much action on Rennlist. I had 2 PPI's done by interested buyers and the only issue found with the car was the clutch accumulator and slave cylinder. The buyer negotiated the repair off the asking price and the car is now sold.

Last edited by Bradford; 09-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess...Low 60's
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice car... with the possible exception of the chrome on the wheels. Are those hardback sport seats? I'm thinking mid $60s... these cars seem to be going up.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd say mid 60's too. The roll cage, and anything track associated prob won't help the sale, based on people's assumption of tracked cars. The car does look nice.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

low-mid-60's given mods....HB sports seats will add a couple G's to that. A '97 would polly be an extra 2-3 's on top, too
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those aren't HB seats. Look like softbacks. Maybe losing my eyesight but the bolsters look too big for HB.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the track trim.....55k
As close to stock as possible....65k
The roll bar is an automatic hard sell.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DALLWA
those aren't HB seats. Look like softbacks. Maybe losing my eyesight but the bolsters look too big for HB.
+1 on the seats, they don't look like sport seats to me either..
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are not sport seats. He needs to remove the mods (roll bar, red harness belts, and ECU chip/tune). Sell those parts separately. Those are some serious mods for 10 track days.

Chrome wheels suck. A lot of buyers will have a hard time getting past those. Even knowing full well they can be painted/powdercoated for $600 total, and look GREAT. Might I suggest he do this prior to the sale process.

Black/black is a strong selling color combo. The aluminum package (dials, e-brake, shifter and exhaust tips are very nice. Also really like the seats vs the supple leather. Looks more "current". Front bumperette delete looks good, too. The crazy Porsche bat phone will hurt a little, but the next owner could use the space/elect for a future navi/stereo system if they choose (just a selling idea to over come a negative).

Have him make the paint PERFECT and get ride of any swirl marks with a proper full concours paint correction (either 2 or 3 stage depending on the paint's condition). He should expect to pay about $800 minimum for a quality job.

What your friend "asks" for the car vs what the car "sells" for are two different things. With a clean PPI, and without the track upgrades, the car should sell in the $62.5-63.5K range. His asking price should not be that much different (unless he likes to play the game).

I'm not sure, but I bet the red belts are near worthless to an experienced DE'er or club racer, since belts can't be past a certain age, IIRC. He'd need to disclose just how old they are.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

^ listen to the man, no water is very attuned to the 993tt market. See my thread on current market values as well, some good info there. The track stuff, all of it, gots to go.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Those are not sport seats. He needs to remove the mods (roll bar, red harness belts, and ECU chip/tune). Sell those parts separately. Those are some serious mods for 10 track days.

Chrome wheels suck. A lot of buyers will have a hard time getting past those. Even knowing full well they can be painted/powdercoated for $600 total, and look GREAT. Might I suggest he do this prior to the sale process.

Black/black is a strong selling color combo. The aluminum package (dials, e-brake, shifter and exhaust tips are very nice. Also really like the seats vs the supple leather. Looks more "current". Front bumperette delete looks good, too. The crazy Porsche bat phone will hurt a little, but the next owner could use the space/elect for a future navi/stereo system if they choose (just a selling idea to over come a negative).

Have him make the paint PERFECT and get ride of any swirl marks with a proper full concours paint correction (either 2 or 3 stage depending on the paint's condition). He should expect to pay about $800 minimum for a quality job.

What your friend "asks" for the car vs what the car "sells" for are two different things. With a clean PPI, and without the track upgrades, the car should sell in the $62.5-63.5K range. His asking price should not be that much different (unless he likes to play the game).

I'm not sure, but I bet the red belts are near worthless to an experienced DE'er or club racer, since belts can't be past a certain age, IIRC. He'd need to disclose just how old they are.
+1. If it's been tracked - assuming no Venture Shield - it'll probably need nose, mirrors and hips sprayed too.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 07-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks to all that replied!

Your responses are exactly what I told the owner prior to this post with the exception of the price which I put at $58-$60K. The roll bar and harnesses are easy to remove. To remove the roll bar, one of the front seats needs to be removed so this would be a good time to look under the drivers seat and see if there is any identification on the ecu. We all know what we think about chrome twists but that is something he may let the next owner deal with. He paid $120k for this car in 98', which is a reminder of the demand for these cars when they were newer.

He is asking me to help him sell it so you may see it listed in the for sale ads in the next few weeks.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

58-60k ,minus track stuff, would be a great deal and move quickly.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
He is asking me to help him sell it so you may see it listed in the for sale ads in the next few weeks.
Scott, I met a great guy at our PCA Cars & Coffee event last weekend. He's looking for a 993 Turbo. I am trying to re-contact him about your friend's car. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Those appear to be Teamtech harnesses

Teamtech can inspect, rebuild and recertify Teamtech harnesses

Even if expired, can be still used for DE depending on which run group

But the club racer will require current certification

For the sale, owner should remove the roll bar and harnesses since PCA DE doesn't allow 5/6 point harnesses to be used with stock seats

Quick Reply: Friend looking to sell, value?