Sponsored by:

Catch Can or Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catch Can or Oil Separator

Ever notice how much oil is in the pre turbo intake? When I took my engine apart this winter I expected to see the usual amounts of oil post turbo but the front Y pipe was a mess. Don't get me started on the post turbo intake stuff there was a ton. Even with water/meth injection which cleans everything it was still bad. Oil really hurts timing at the end of the day and it just bothers me that it's in there.

That being said this is when you put an oil catch can or oil separator on. Its pretty standard for any modified turbo but I don't recall seeing that discussed here very much so I thought I would post something up. Catch cans act as breathers and don't allow access back into the intake so it retains the stock setup. Separators catch alot the oil vapor that’s in the air and allows it to go into the intake. It’s better than nothing but there will still be some in the intake.

Now there is only so much we can do to stop oil due to the fact that we have turbo cars Depending on different variables positive crankcase pressure (which we cannot really avoid) will force oil past the turbo seals and into the intake. Another by product of this is oil traveling up the turbo sump oil breather lines into the Y pipe and then back through the turbo into the intake. Fun fun fun.

So the way I see it we have two ways to address this.

1.) A catch can & breather for the oil sump tank that breaths to the atmosphere rather than the Y pipe. The goop that came out of the tube that connects the Y pipe to the sump when I took it apart was really nasty. I don't think the sump needs vacuum (which it would get from the Y pipe) so a filter that allows it to breathe should be good.

2.) The turbo sump breathing hoses that go up to the Y pipe. My only question here is whether the sumps need vacuum. I've heard both that they do and do not. Anyone here know? If they don't then it’s easy and you have a breather setup like #1. If they do then you need an oil air separator which will catch some of the vapors or the oil in fluid state if it travels up the breather (it does).

Regarding postive crankcase pressuer there is nothing we can do here really. All turbo cars will have blow bye which causes this. On the dyno you can even see the oil travel up the crankcase tube that goes to the sump tank! For my engine build I put the GT3R oil pump in bc of this. It won't fix it but it does help with the positive pressure imho. The GT3's run at a negative crankcase pressure from what I hear thanks to this pump but don't quote me on that

Anywho if you have a catch can or separator please post up how it’s working out for you.

An example of a oil breather can
Name:  mor-85500_w.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  13.8 KB

Here is one of an oil separator
Name:  cc_ult10.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  78.2 KB
Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi spartan,

on my gt2 racer i run my oil tank up the front of the car with a braided breather pipe that runs up the a pillar up to the top of the cage and runs back to a 5 litre breather tank next to the gearbox, this has 2 small k+n breather filters on the top of it. i run the pipe up in the air from the oil tank to breather/catch tank so no real amount of oil gets forced up it unless i overfill the oil tank. the breather from the top of the crankcases goes to the top of the oil tank. i used 1 inch bore pipes for all feed return and breather pipes as you probably know thats the bore of the feed pipe on the engine and the crankcase breather bore. the only reason i use a 5 litre breather tank is the scrutineers said i have to incase the motor blows and pushes a load of oil out the breather and onto the track.
hope this helps?

regards mark
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mark. You have a serious track setup thats for sure!

What do you do for the turbo sump tanks?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's someone on Pelican w/ a 993tt motor that has his turbo sump breathers running to a common catch can. In his case there is no vacuum. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...tah-can-2.html

I'm in the same boat way to much oil before and after the turbo's not sure if it's because the turbo sumps are over filling, the vacuum on the sump line is pulling oil into the intake, or the turbos are leaking.

Quick Reply: Catch Can or Oil Separator