Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts

Tony, have them fix it! Nice car!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

wonder where this car came from. I've never seen a guards red tt locally. good luck. If Matt can't make it, I'd be happy to take a look but I'm a little farther away
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DALLWA
The paint bubble is extremely small, and they are willing to fix that too. Any thoughts on Porsche doing it or myself? Car is 100% original paint, and this is a extremely small area, but its nice to have it fixed.

Thanks!
I'd want to look closely at this. Isn't that a common are for rust? If it's rust causing the bubble, it's going to be more complicated than they might want to admit and more complicated than you want being done without proof.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I'd want to look closely at this. Isn't that a common are for rust? If it's rust causing the bubble, it's going to be more complicated than they might want to admit and more complicated than you want being done without proof.
Yeah, water gets trapped under the seals around the rear window and rust forms. I wouldn't have the dealership do a thing, I'd have it shipped back to you in CO and deal with it there with the sale price adjusted accordingly. Obviously have a PPI done including paint/body work check. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the input.

Car is going for a PPI at Auto-Edge just down the road. I will learn the extent of the rust bubble, and how oil got into the turbos.

They did put on Porsche OEM filters this morning which may have been the issue all along.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Epe-Auto??? never heard of them or is that a typo of Auto Edge which is close by and excellent for a PPI
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Yep, I had the wrong and changed it. Its at Auto-Edge.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by dbf73
Epe-Auto??? never heard of them or is that a typo of Auto Edge which is close by and excellent for a PPI
Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

They did put on Porsche OEM filters this morning which may have been the issue all along.
See if you can find out if they took off Mahle or some other aftermarket oil filters. There are a couple of "smoking turbo" threads going right now, and this may be more fuel for the fire and help others out.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by slickster85
Yeah, water gets trapped under the seals around the rear window and rust forms. I wouldn't have the dealership do a thing, I'd have it shipped back to you in CO and deal with it there with the sale price adjusted accordingly. Obviously have a PPI done including paint/body work check. Good luck!
Be aware that the rear rust is deceiving, it can be a lot worse than it appears.

I recently went thru this repair, once my rear window was removed even the bodyshop (who has experience doing these types of repairs) stated it was surprising at the amount of rust + holes that was there. You could not see most of it with the window there, even with the seal removed.

You need someone with experience for removing/installing the rear window, so best to get this done thru your own sourcing. Removing window is a must to do the job correctly.

I would just factor a repair cost into your buying price.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys for the input.

Car is going for a PPI at Auto-Edge just down the road. I will learn the extent of the rust bubble, and how oil got into the turbos.

I confirmed today that my car has Porsche OEM filters on it , yet it started getting blue smoke this past weekend. Don't be too sure the problem will go away just becauses a Porsche filter is installed.

Also, Isn't oil on the turbo's an expensive problem?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Thanks Onami, will do!

Originally Posted by Onami
Tony, have them fix it! Nice car!!!!
Confirmed it was NOT Mahle filter. Hmm...

Originally Posted by ca993twin
See if you can find out if they took off Mahle or some other aftermarket oil filters. There are a couple of "smoking turbo" threads going right now, and this may be more fuel for the fire and help others out.
I have seen a post (maybe yours) where the rust went on and on, quite alarming. I have the PPI tomorrow and he promised a thorough look.

Many thanks!

Originally Posted by Knight
Be aware that the rear rust is deceiving, it can be a lot worse than it appears.

I recently went thru this repair, once my rear window was removed even the bodyshop (who has experience doing these types of repairs) stated it was surprising at the amount of rust + holes that was there. You could not see most of it with the window there, even with the seal removed.

You need someone with experience for removing/installing the rear window, so best to get this done thru your own sourcing. Removing window is a must to do the job correctly.

I would just factor a repair cost into your buying price.

Good luck!
I believe its a "depends" answer, how long its been in there....check out this thread I found from Kevin on worst case scenario.

QUOTE=Kevin;9447312]You guys are foolish allowing ANY race shop or indy for installing the Mahle (Mann, Bosch, Fram or XYZ) vs the factory Genuine Porsche filter.

Here is the problem>> buy the time you catch the oil filter problem, your turbochargers are soaked with oil. You are driving the car burning the oil which is getting cooked in the heat shield and is wearing out your turbine side sealing rings. Your turbochargers are going from a "good" status to a "WORN" status when this issue is present. The secondary effect is BURNT and UNBURNT oil flowing into your CATS. Plugging the cats> sucking the life out of them and eventually putting all the backpressure on you exhaust valves/combustion chamber.

With that said, if you have a shop that is too lazy to install Porsche filters, do the oil change yourself or take the car to another shop or Porsche dealer. If you take the car to a Porsche dealer >>be careful most will fill the engine with 0w40 engine oil which is too thin for the air-cooled engine. The piston to cylinder clearance is to large for the 0W.

Lastly, every car that has suffered this FATE needs to have a engine leakdown done. Every month I get the call about a failing 993TT, to find out that it really needs a topend overhaul. At 15% leakdown the turbochargers will push oil..
/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I confirmed today that my car has Porsche OEM filters on it , yet it started getting blue smoke this past weekend. Don't be too sure the problem will go away just becauses a Porsche filter is installed.

Also, Isn't oil on the turbo's an expensive problem?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
DALLWA
Racer

I'm holding out my excitement or disappointment post PPI tomorrow.

I haven't had a 993 without any issues, so I'm really just trying to scope the extent of it. If its bad, I will pass. If its fixable, I will own a 993TT tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been following this for a bit. GREAT people here on this site. Saved my *** many times.

But what you need to look at is what is an acceptable repair on a car of this age. Sounds (on the surface) that this car has some issues to deal with. But not HUGE. Just my .02.

Remember you have a car of this age and power. It will have issues depending on the previous owner. You are buying from a dealer and all they wish to do is turn a profit.

This is a great forum. Been here for a LONG time. Great people. But all of us are at different "Snack" levels per si.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
DALLWA
Racer

PPI report came in:

1. Rust bubble on passenger side front windshield, no further damage ($unsure)
2. The filter have been changed out, no longer oil spillage into the turbo.

Last edited by DALLWA; 04-18-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 40 Posts

If they pay to get it fixed... are you going to have Bob and his crew at Autoedge do the work?

Quick Reply: Anyone near Maplewood Porsche in MN?