Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing smoke on start up! HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had same problem several years ago, and after great expense (dealer told me the turbo was toast which later proved incorrect after buying a new turbo) I suggest following as others have above.
1. Check that both oil filters are the Porsche PN's and not overtightened on the small filter.
2. Check you oil level should be below half - closer to 1/4 on the dip stick when hot and running.
3. Invest in the check valve kit, Turbo Kraft or Kevin's both have sound reviews.

good luck.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRPM
....3. Invest in the check valve kit, Turbo Kraft or Kevin's both have sound reviews......
I just installed Kevin's kit....not cheap and had to wait as he was backordered at the time, but very good workmanship and overall quality...I'm surprised that Porsche did not release a similar kit on there own. Now debating whether I should even bother with the P-trap return lines...not sure they are necessary.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Was it a ***** of a job David?
I bought the kit a few months ago from Kevin but as my car mysteriously stopped smoking on start up I haven't bothered.
I think the last service, with the right filters has sorted my one.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently did the turboKraft kit on my car myself. Yes it is a real bitch of a job. I dont have much in my engine bay to begin with and I have no mufflers on my car and it was still a bitch, but if your car is stock with heat & AC you pretty much need to get all that out to get in the top side. Then to get the check valves in on top of the turbos is a real knuckle buster that I dont see being possible with mufflers on. It is also mildly important that you have all of the lines tight because a small leak can lead to a big fire if it leaks onto the hot side of the turbo.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I recently did the turboKraft kit on my car myself. Yes it is a real bitch of a job. I dont have much in my engine bay to begin with and I have no mufflers on my car and it was still a bitch, but if your car is stock with heat & AC you pretty much need to get all that out to get in the top side. Then to get the check valves in on top of the turbos is a real knuckle buster that I dont see being possible with mufflers on. It is also mildly important that you have all of the lines tight because a small leak can lead to a big fire if it leaks onto the hot side of the turbo.
Agreed. Total PITA. Mine is totally stock, exhaust and all. And while I didn't install the check valves, I (well, really my mechanic friend and I) went through all the motions when we removed the turbos to closely inspect them after the overfill caused smoking incident. .

By far the most harrowing part of it was trying to unscrew the oil lines on the top of the turbos. They were frozen/rusted on. It probably took an hour a side. He did all the work on that part. I just prayed the whole time. Luckily he has the right tools, the right "touch", patience, and a ton of rust penetrant.

Last edited by badabing; 04-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

OK guys, I found out that the oil filters last installed are in fact Porsche filters and not Mahle filters. Now what?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you read Kevin's "sticky" thread on turbo failures at the top of this page? It delineates several sources for oil in the turbos. Over-tightened or "crimped" filters during installation can cause this problem as well. Mahle filters are a more common issue because it says they fit the TT right on the box.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Did you read Kevin's "sticky" thread on turbo failures at the top of this page? It delineates several sources for oil in the turbos. Over-tightened or "crimped" filters during installation can cause this problem as well. Mahle filters are a more common issue because it says they fit the TT right on the box.
No, I had not read that. It's a good piece, thanks much.
Gotta admit I'm still confused though. I printed it out and will re-read it tomorrow as I am exhausted right now! Problem is....as I said I don't know how to work on these cars at all myself. That includes basics like checking oil. So I have to rely on my Porsche mechanic and I need to educate myself first before I take it to them
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year, I had a very similar problem with my -97. A couple of months after replacing the oil and filters with Porsche logo, a small puddle of oil starting to accumulate under passenger side turbo. Blue smoke at start-up and the occational blast of smoke while turning a corner. I installed the pressure valves on the return lines, which helped some, but did not fully cure the problem. I then replaced the small oil filter and i have not had a single blue smoke during start-up since. I replace the oil myself and is very carefull when installing the Porsche filters. However, I expect this filter must have been "defective". If you decide to replace the small oil filter, I highly recommend rinsing the intercooler at the same time. Easy job.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Knut-

As an update my car doesn't blow smoke at all anymore. Not really sure what was the issue.
It does, though, still leak 2-3 drops of oil a night. That is something that just started in the past month or so. I've been reco'd by several Rennlister's to call Sol at Perfect Power (in the Chicago area). I spoke with him and am dropping my car off at his place this Saturday.
Hopefully he'll figure out what the issue is.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

http://www.perfectpowerinc.com/
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Parnelli, if you need any help tomorrow, send me a PM, but my kids both have early AM soccer games, and rain is in the forecast. I'll be at Elsa's on the Park today for a late lunch with my wife.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

No HT=

Do u mean Elsa's in downtowm Milwaukee? That place is AWSSOME.. I always get the porkchop sandwich (Variation II).
I work 2 blocks south of there. Have been in the '411' Building' for 21 years
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
No HT=

Do u mean Elsa's in downtowm Milwaukee? That place is AWSSOME.. I always get the porkchop sandwich (Variation II).
I work 2 blocks south of there. Have been in the '411' Building' for 21 years
Oh yeah!

We had:

Buffalo Wings (can only get these after 3:00 PM)
Blue Cheese Dressing
Both had gigantic teriyaki pork salads
New Glarus Spotted Cow
Siera Nevada Pale Ale
Slice of cheese cake to go

Drove over 200 miles to have a nice lunch.

Priceless.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

Hi everyone. I have a low mileage car I drive regular meaning - usually once or twice a month 100 -250 miles monthly - no problems or smoke on start up before. Then I let the car sit for 2-3 months and finally on start up quite a bit of smoke came out. I was setting the radio code and thought the rear window was fogging up but in fact it was smoke (I was in a dark enclosed garage and realized I might irritate my neighbors or set off a fire alarm so I got the heck out of there.) I may have let it idle for 3-4 minutes. It seemed to continue to smoke until I got it out on the freeway and warmed up. (sorry neighbors)

Like I said I've never had this problem before let alone any small amounts of smoke. Porsche filters. No oil in under tray. Can I safely assume this was smoke from oil settling in the cylinders? I need to reread some info but worn valve guides don't cause smoke like this do they?

I returned 45mins later and there was still smoke in the garage :-/ Doah!

Quick Reply: Blowing smoke on start up! HELP please