Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intercooler tubes -- turbos shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice is to leave the turbos alone. You say it is running great and not smoking. Use a heavier weight oil (15W50 or 20w50) and don't keep overfilling it. Don't add a quart until the dash indicator won't budge off the lowest mark at HOT idle.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

that amount of oil wouldn't phase me.

run a bit less oil, run a heavier oil, and you'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
My advice is to leave the turbos alone. You say it is running great and not smoking. Use a heavier weight oil (15W50 or 20w50) and don't keep overfilling it. Don't add a quart until the dash indicator won't budge off the lowest mark at HOT idle.
Good advice.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Palmer3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input!,useful!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a look at mine some time ago and found the same oil.
I ordered new check valves and they are still in the box unused as we speak.
Like what everyone else said, if it aint broke.......................
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I agree. if the car is not smoking, can do 0.8bar in stock trim, and runs well, just drive it. You will know if the turbos go sideways!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Which check valves did you buy? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Which check valves did you buy? Thanks.
The reason I ask is I'm having some issues also and wondering what my problem is. Last three times I've driven it I get heavy smoke out of the left turbo on start-up. This is usually after the car sits for a week or more. Smoke clears after a few minutes but definitely not normal. No recent oil change. Don't mean to hi-jack....wondering if I need to trial the check valves. thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
The reason I ask is I'm having some issues also and wondering what my problem is. Last three times I've driven it I get heavy smoke out of the left turbo on start-up. This is usually after the car sits for a week or more. Smoke clears after a few minutes but definitely not normal. No recent oil change. Don't mean to hi-jack....wondering if I need to trial the check valves. thanks
Be sure that you are NOT using the Mahle or any other aftermarket oil filters. You must get your oil filters from the Porsche dealer. Some folks also report a problem if the smaller (I think) filter is overtightened.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Be sure that you are NOT using the Mahle or any other aftermarket oil filters. You must get your oil filters from the Porsche dealer. Some folks also report a problem if the smaller (I think) filter is overtightened.
Thanks, the last oil change was at a Porsche dealer. Have not checked to see what filters were used. Will do that.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
that amount of oil wouldn't phase me.

run a bit less oil, run a heavier oil, and you'll be fine.
+1, and make sure you have Porsche oil filters........
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I just installed the 996 check valve lines in my car. They seem to work quite well. Occasional puff on startup and I'm good to go.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what are peoples favorite source for check vavles. I saw some on Turbo-Kraft website...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Turbokraft ones fitted. When I bought my turbo it smoked on occasion, but had been standing in a collection for a couple of years. I suspect the oil had been overfilled as there was some in the intercooler. Since fitting the check valves I've had no sign of smoke on start up or otherwise. So I'm not sure whether the check valves have solved the smoke issue or just use/correct oil filling. Still, I view it as something of an insurance policy - stopping oil getting syphoned back into the turbos has got to be a good thing right? I'm using fully synth 5w40 Havoline Ultra (the basic Ultra, not the Ultra S) oil.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Andreas Langhoff (2nd reg)
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil in intercooler or leaking/oil wet turbos:

Several problems related to above symptoms are related to the fact that the turbos are the lowest part of the engine.
The turbos sealings are designed to provide a perfect oil sealing while the shaft is hot and rotating at up to 100000rpm. When the turbo shaft is not rotating and at standstill the sealing is usually not important. I say usually because in most engines the turbo is mounted higher than the oil level in the engine. This is true for most cars, except for Porsche where the turbos are located below the engine oil level. As long as the turbo sealing is working while the shaft is spinning then the turbo is good. Once you start getting blue smoke on the exhaust while the engine is running this could be a sign of a failing shaft seal and soon also the turbo shaft bearing will fail, hence the turbo has to be overhauled.
Please remember that the turbo sealing must only seal while the turbo is spinning.
On the 993 Turbo with its lowpositoned turbos it can happen that oil passes the turbo seals while the engine is shut off. Just by gravity the oil will always try to find its way down! And the lowest place is the turbo! Therefore it can happen that during engine off oil creeps by the turbo seals and gets into the cold or hot air side of the turbo. The hot side is equal to the exhaust, so oil in the exhaust will show as short moment of blue smoke. Oil in the cold side will collect in the intercooler hoses and in part be aspirated and burned. Not all oil that you find in the intercooler comes from the turbos. Oil vapors from the crankcase are by design routed in the intake area to where the intercooler is connected and some oil vapor will condensate and remain the intercooler.

For the 996 Turbo Porsche did change the design and the following was fitted to avoid above scenarios:
1. The Turbo check valves 996 107 030 78 , (90 USD each). These valves are inserted in the turbo pressure oil feed line and these valves do also fit the 993 turbo. It is however necessary to adapt the existing oil feed line or replace the oil feed line with a custom made one. Every shop capable of fabricating brake tubes or hydraulic tubes can fabricate you a line for little money.The purpose of these checkvalves is to avoid that -at engine off- oil continues to flow into the turbcharger via the pressure line just by the syphon-effect. On the 993 Turbo there is also a special oil filter with a pressure valve that serves the same purpose.

2. The turbo scavenging oil return lines have a high loop in it to prevent backflow of the oil from the engine block to the turbo. The lines from the 996 Turbo do not fit the 993 Turbo, but I have fabricated custom lines that will fit the 993 Turbo.

Conclusion: By simply adapting the Porsche solution for the 996 Turbo to the 993 Turbo the infamous oil in intercooler / turbo can be cured. Porsche itself opted for both modifications, check valves and return lines, and actually by applying both modifications to the 993 Turbo you can be sure to be trouble free for the future.

Best regards
Andreas

Quick Reply: Oil in intercooler tubes -- turbos shot?